Jermaine Jones Overseas Options?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by BostonRed, Jan 28, 2016.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jermaine Jones is said to be looking at overseas offers:

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...s-off-on-mls-suspension-contract-offer-012816

The 34-year-old Jones is out of contract after spending the last 1 1/2 seasons with the New England Revolution. Jones said he has offers in Germany and other countries, but they are complicated by his pending six-game MLS suspension for touching referee Matt Geiger late in a New England playoff game last October.

FIFA regulations require suspensions to be applied across leagues, and MLS Commissioner Don Garber already rejected Jones' appeal of the ban in December. If Jones signs with a Bundesliga team, he would have to miss six games in Germany, where he said clubs are wary of acquiring him because their regular seasons are already half-over.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Some hockey dude just got 10 games for knocking over a linesman. He claimed to be too dazed from a hit to be thinking coherently.

In other words, JJJ got the deserved punishment (OMG, I agree with Garber!).

3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Negotiating ploy, nothing else in my opinion. Put it out in the media that you are looking elsewhere at the same time you belittle the existing offer.

Thread worthy? Cmon Boston Red you know better. :)

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If JJJ gets his $3M, he won't go anywhere. But with Craft's offer in the $600,000 range - a wholly sufficient and fair compensation for a player of his age in his position and with his performances, in my opinion - he may have to look back to Germany or even somewhere in the EPL.

keller4president repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He was actually suspended indefinitely with a hearing on Tuesday, but I don't see how it'll be any less than 10 games.

6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I really can't believe Bundesliga teams would be interested. He wasn't even the best central midfielder on his MLS team.

spatz repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    20 yo Miazga who was arguably the best defender in MLS goes to EPL and people are so sceptical about his chances while this average MLS player, 34 yo headcase expected to generate interest all over the world. Sure.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd expect this from fans, but not from a director of football or scouts.

Have they not done their job? Its really obvious that Jones isn't the same player that he was at the WC.

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Jones is a former German international with over 200 pro games in Germany. I doubt a team like Hanover actually sends scouts to the US. Maybe they have watched a few videos. He's got a name, he's possibly available, that's all there is to it. There seems to be a myth that teams in Europe have some kind of vast scouting network, but outside of a very few, they don't. Players are either offered to clubs by agents, or they go after a name they recognize. Scouts mainly watch local amateur leagues, and maybe a few neighbouring countries.

12. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    #12 SpencerNY, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Agreed. I think he has a point about the punishments handed out for various offenses in MLS being a tad puzzling though. Getting in the ref's face and any kind of contact is inexcusable in my book but I also think what Clint Dempsey did merited a lil' something more.

Dempsey made MLS look like a joke. No way he would of done that to an EPL ref.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Borrachin repped this.
  13. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    I believe Dempsey was punished by US Soccer not MLS because it was in the US Open Cup. Jones was punished by MLS.

superdave repped this.
  14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You don't seem to think highly of MLS. You really think that you have to be the best midfielder in MLS to be considered by a Bundesliga team?

If you don't think much Jones that is fine, but do you really need to come into a thread discuss any news of his move to share this deep analysis of yours?

superdave repped this.
  15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    More like a very promising DEFENDER with les than 40 professional games at a level well beneath the EPL going to one of the richest teams in the world with plenty of depth and 30 players on loan.... While an aging veteran is being considered as being able to help a team that is at the bottom of the Bundesliga table which is below the level he played at his peak. Crazy isn't it.

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it an open cup game?

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think highly of MLS, but I also don't think Jones was a top 20 central midfielder in the league last season. I watched nearly every Revs game, he just wasn't as good as some people think, IMO.

In nearly every thread in YA, the comments are so positive about our players. People are always overestimating them (I'm at fault as well), so what's wrong with sharing an opinion that the perception of a player (this time by Bundesliga clubs) is inaccurate? You aren't allowed to give an opinion against a player on big soccer?

spatz repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    That's not what you said before. Yes, everyone is aware that you watch Revs games and have a completely unbiased view of their players. Your "I don't think he was one of the top 20 central midfielders" analysis has nothing to do with whether he would have value to a Bundesliga side fighting against relegation. What he brings in MLS (which is clear in the link below), would translate to the Bundesliga/

http://mlsfix.com/2016/01/24/stats-vs-feilhaber-vs-klinsmann/

That isn't true in this thread. It's just people wondering where he will be playing and any news/rumors. There is no hyping and it isn't that far fetched that he could hold his own in the league he has played in and been successful. I don't understand the motive for your comment and I personally don't find your noble attempt to help us set our expectation appropriately all that helpful. You can do whatever you want, but I think your analysis is naive and becomes annoying in that these types of comments are in multiple YA threads of players you don't care for.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    lol, you don't agree with my comments because its against your agenda, so you are branding it as annoying and naive. This isn't just a news thread, otherwise there would be about two posts in the thread right now. I have the right to share my opinion that Jones isn't good enough for the Bundesliga.

If people have watched Jones within the last 12 months on a consistent basis, they should know his current level. His MLS team from last season seems to know it since they are offering him between 500-600k. Last season about 10-12 CM's (depending on who's considered one) made 500k or more, and although salaries haven't been released for this upcoming season, lets say that number goes up a little bit to 12-14, that would leave Jones pay in a range where he's outside of the top 10, and probably somewhere between 10-15, which is fair. Add in a few youngsters who won't get big contracts for another few years and undervalued players, and there's your 20 that are better than Jones. Jones CM teammate Caldwell one of those younger players who was objectively better than him last season (Caldwell won the team's POY) made 67.5k last season, just for example.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don't agree with your comments because I think they are stupid! What's my agenda? I read the title of the thread as a question about news/info of his options abroad? Yes, you have that right and know you've been wrong on players before.

Why would they offer him that much then? It can't be good for the locker room to have such a quality player like Scott Caldwell knowing a lesser player that he would have to play next to would earn about 10x his salary. My guess it might have something to do with the teams results when JJ is on the field. I'm guessing they like the 8w-6t-4l they had with him as opposed to the 6w-2t-8l without him.

This ranking of players to determine what other leagues they can play in is about as ignorant an approach I can think of. Unfortunately, stupid thinking isn't against the rules here. Carry on.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are the one thats acting naive. You know that the usage of that ranking and of the salaries was my attempt to prove that he's not good enough to play in the Bundesliga. As much as I like MLS, there probably aren't 20 CM's that could play a significant role on a Bundesliga team.

As for the record without him, they don't have a good replacement for him in their squad, but that doesn't mean that he's good enough to play in the Bundesliga just because his MLS team is better with him than without him.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I already said that I think those rankings are the dumbest way to determine who could help a Bundesliga team. Well, maybe MLS salaries would be the dumbest way... Those aren't predictive anything.

I wasn't saying it had anything to do with whether he could help Hanover, but why his team should value him.

Sorry everyone. I'm done sidetracking this thread.

23. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Dude, he was injured pretty much all year last year. The year before that, he was the reason they made it to the MLS cup. He's still a quality player, a former German International, and has tons of experience in the Bundesliga. I really can't believe you didn't think there wouldn't be any interest.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  24. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    MLS issued a separate 3 day suspension.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There was plenty of time last season when he wasn't injured. I'm not complaining that he has interest, good for him, but I am giving my opinion that he's not good enough for the Bundesliga. I'll leave it at that.