Jeremy Toljan at US Sassuolo Calcio

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    If he prefers Croatia to us, then he'll never be a Nat. Even if you think Croatia is better than us, they aren't so much better than us that they would not even give him a sniff if we were willing to push for him to make a switch. That's okay - wish him luck.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One positive we have on our side is guys like JAB, Fab, & JJ that could make the transition easier for him. I can't imagine he'd feel that uncomfortable with other Germans around as opposed to Croatians.

3. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    i

I agree that's likely what would've happened and if I had to take a guess I would say he'll never wear a U.S. kit but the fact is we just don't know.

I was originally just trying to illustrate why we keep these threads going to dissuade the people (not you) who feel it necessary to post the obligatory "this guy's never going play for us, why bother discussing him?"

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
  7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, Croatia has a lot more talent across the board and ought to be playing in all of the major events. You can't buy this sort of exposure with the US.

Plus, Klinsmann seems to love his MLS superstars.

Anyway, 'tis was a game of errors.

https://rutube.ru/video/ad35d7e4f3b9d18bb854652d352753ef/?ref=logo

8. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    You've entirely missed my point.

My point was that if he's good enough that the US would be actively trying to sell him on the idea of swearing his allegience to the US, he's good enough that Croatia will take a flyer on him and ask him to do a one-time switch so he can play in a friendly to see how he does. And if he prefers Croatia to the United States, that's how it will play out. If he shows so little that when his agent calls up Croatia to see if there is any interest, they say no, he's probably not going to be a priority for the US anyway.

9. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
  10. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Dolphin99 repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Named to the German Olympic team today.

12. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts for Germany in the Olympics:

Testudo repped this.
  14. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to close the thread.

15. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    No it's not but you can stop visiting if you want.

16. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, enjoy wasting your time!

frankburgers and Winoman repped this.
  17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Pretty much all the time I spend on here is a waste of time really.

Gorky, Winoman and Borrachin repped this.
  18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The Germans looked really slow and unathletic compared to the Mexicans. Goretzka and Selke really looked like crap. Toljan actually looked OK on the right, with Julian Brandt shielding him and helping him double team Chukie Lozano. Then the idiot Mexican coach moved Lozano to the right flank and Klostermann did OK there one-on-one while Brandt and Toljan began to give Torres Nilo quite a bit of problems.

Lozano may have made himself $20M today. He was the best player on the field. His cross preceding the second goal came from Tojan's side.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts again in the Olympics, against S. Korea:

Tom Collingsworth and Testudo repped this.
  20. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Olympic performances aren't going to move the needle very much from a $$ standpoint, not sure why you think that's the case. Agreed that he played very well though.

21. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Twice he missed an easy goal by not one-timing it. I think that, more than anything, will have been noticed by potential suiters.

Gacm32 repped this.
  22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The German team has Ginter, the Benders, Goretzka, Brandt, Mayer, Gnabry and Selke among others. The last time the rumors swirled about the Bender brothers, their clubs were asking about $40M for them. Lozano may not be a finished product but his first step and feel for the game made him look like a star in waiting. The Olympics, as a competition, may not be a big deal but seeing someone next to an established, proven (albeit over-aged) talent is.

There's an old story. When Garrincha was a 20 year old minor leaguer, he had a trial set up with Botafogo. As a right winger, he was given a chance to go one on one against a national team member and one of the greatest leftbacks in history (made Pele's 125 Greatest Players Ever list) Nilton Santos. Garrincha dribbled past Santos once. Then twice. Then three times. Santos walked over to the head coach and (allegedly) said, "If you don't sign this guy, he'll make me look like an idiot in real games, not practice".

Sometimes, it's all it takes.

russ repped this.
  23. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: do Olympic appearances cap tie a player, or could he theoretically still use his one time switch? I'm sure there's an answer somewhere on the Internet, but I'd rather defer the question to my BS buddies :) .

24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can use a 1-time switch based on Olympic play

25. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but the way you worded this is confusing.

Does this mean after you play in the Olympics you can use your one-time switch to play for another country?