Jeremy Toljan at US Sassuolo Calcio

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    according to Bild+, Gladbach are interested in Toljan.

2. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any chance Jeremy decides to play for USA instead of Germany? It seems he would have a better chance playing for us

edcrocker repped this.
  3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    people need to stop bringing up the NT discussion when the player's club career is a mess. He needs to work on that before even looking at International football.

how many times was the USA topic brought up for a player who's struggled for 2 seasons?

as for the topic of NT, Toljan was notorious for being someone to not have any interest in the USA. So why do people over and over want someone to play for them that's not into it? You should want someone to want to play for you.

weren't there also discussions that there might be issues since his dad died before he was born and his parents weren't married or something like that?

he seems more into Croatia than USA tbh, mom is from there and seems to go there frequently.

sakibomb523, Gacm32, striker and 3 others repped this.
  4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you. I basically agree. But that's why people come to this forum....

For every player...they wanna find out him b/c he might play for the USMNT...not b/c of anything else, imo....

frankburgers repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Bruh, we don't want them, we just want them to want us...

upload_2019-6-8_21-17-50.png

7. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    the main reason people care about this player is bc of the potential to play for usmnt. hence the questioning...

do we really think anyone cares about jeremy toljan outside of this?

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that's the wrong reason to care. I care about all German players even if they don't play for Germany.

as for potential, he doesn't deserve a call up to any NT because his club career has been a mess for years. So why is it even a discussion besides his glaring disinterest? All I see is the draw because he's a Dortmund player or because reported to have Gladbach interest.

HockeytownHeel repped this.
  9. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    I would never imagine us seeing Toljan in a US uniform.

We are not a glamorous draw for European based players that have multiple National team opportunities.

We still seem to lack identity completely. Im not sure what this teams style wants to be. We always seem to be in a state of flux when it comes to our identity. Players who shouldnt be on the pitch together. Players with pace to break the game open yet we hold the ball tyring to play possession games with players who are not of Technical quality to do it.

Im looking forward to today but players like Toljan and others who would have a chance to play wherever, likely want to see more out of us before they would commit. (Maybe they see opportunity too but who wants to play for a team that doesnt qualify for major events or place well in them.).

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    On the other hand, were his club career going swimmingly, he'd be above our pay grade.

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay..thats a bit of a moral highground though...

how many "german" players have zero interest in germany???

how many "german players" that are actually good enough for the german national team have zero interest in germany? any? (cuz it happens a lot around these parts lol)

its not that we dont "care"...its that our main interest is in relation to the USMNT....I mean if a player is that disinterested that there is no chance...whats the harm in being disinterested in him anyway? are we required to care for players who have zero interest in playing for our national team?

12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    do I look like I take count in that or know the opinion of every player on the topic? We got a bunch of German-Italians that prefer Italy from the beginning. In the youth levels, a lot more than you expect, a lot of German-Turks, German-Bosnians and German-Brits prefer those countries. The Turks and Bosnians seems to be familial influence. And other players use Germany Youth NT call ups to advertise themselves, having in fact no real interest to play for Germany or who's true NT interest is another.

some of our youth get bought by other federations. Getting lured by $$$ and being offered houses etc, lol.

but not sure what Germany has to do with the topic of Toljan and the USA choice?

I mean you guys like to call every player who is American in some form a Yank, but is that how they seem themselves? If my father who was American and died before I was born and lived my whole life in Germany and all my friends and family are in Germany-Croatia, why would I be interested in playing for the USA? Toljan's story sounds like someone with 0 emotional attachment to the USA. You have to give him credit for not playing for the USA while having no interest, at least he's being honest.

adam tash repped this.
  13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    How dare Toljan not do exactly what we want? Did he not watch our 2018 World Cup run?

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    TBF, for the sake of this forum, the definition has long been (afaik) players playing outside the US who are technically eligible to play for the US, regardless of desire (as well as a few who might, possibly, perhaps, soon become eligible...)

Which seems like the easiest way to do this.

15. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    is there a single youth player that was a great player that was eligible for us that played elsewhere?

I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

16. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neven Subiotic and Giuseppe Rossi would have been instant starters and difference makers in the last few WC cycles. Both would be "great" by our standards and arguably as good as anyone we've produced at their respective positions.

Dervos and edcrocker repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah there's a lot of players...jermaine jones hung on pretty long with Germany...Fabian Johnson played youth soccer for them and didn't commit until pretty late in the game too...

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys.....buried somewhere in this thread are confirmed talks that Toljan's chances of ever repping the US are slim to none. His American father actually passed away before he was born. At least at that time, he had no connection to his father's US family nor had he applied for a US passport. On top of that, at one time, he was unsure if his family had registered his birth certificate with the US Consulate since his father was not a US Serviceman thus not required to do so.

WheezingUSASupport and DanielS1085 repped this.
  19. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Also in this thread is a saying that where there's a will, there's a way. Throw enough lawyers and money at the problem, and it can be solved (with the US Federation's assistance, of course). Not saying citizenship is guaranteed, but that it's possible if Toljan really wants it. If he doesn't, then it won't happen.

freisland and edcrocker repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Mesut Ozil???

Crewmudgeon repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ha! Is he good enough anymore? ;)

The Irish Rover repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep. Citizenship is a fact of law. There are issues of proving paternity if the US citizen is the father and the parents are not legally wed. And those become more challenging if the father has died early. But with enough money and desire, they are potentially solvable, especially if the USSF is on your side.

Not saying he wants to, or even can get his passport, but there is a process he could attempt to pursue if so motivated.

edcrocker repped this.
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He definitely is - if he can get his finger out of his ass. Otherwise he's a passenger at best, or an outright liability.

Since he's unlikely to shape up - at 350k sterling a week (net) why would he - he isn't anymore.

But the chance to make a pointlessly gratuitous smart-assed remark was too good to miss. :cool:

24. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    will he finally move to Serie A? Sassuolo are interested in him.
    https://www.football-italia.net/140412/sassuolo-look-toljan

I mean this is the 2nd consecutive season that Serie A clubs are interested. Last season he turned that down because he insists on making it at Dortmund. With their transfers over the Summer, Toljan is not going to make it at Dortmund.

25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    now seems like it could be a loan to Sassuolo with an option to buy.