Jeremy Toljan at US Sassuolo Calcio

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Dec 1, 2011.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    His American father died a) before marrying his mother and b) before he was born. He's had little or no contact with his father's side down the years and seems to have expressed less interest in having that contact. Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much, but it seems like his father, if he'd lived, may have been AWOL (a la Thomas Dooley), rather than absent but caring (Julian Green).

Meantime, his mother is a native-born Croat whose family is, at most, 12 hours drive away. He'll speak at least some of the language, have relatives there, and would be in a squad that's no less likely to qualify for 2022 and 2024 than the USA and is very likely to qualify for the Euros. The latter is a much better platform for a player than the Gold Cup.

If I'm in his shoes and I'm giving up on Die Mannschaft, it's Croatia all the way.

The only factor that could repel him would be racism in Croatia: some people say it's quite rough there; others say it's no worse than anywhere else/marginal.

2. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets the start at home against Freiburg.

3. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored in the 90' to make it 2-2.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    racism against ethnic Croats?

5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't be that dense.

Placid Casual repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I do resemble a rock.

The poster mentioned the racism. Ethnic Croatians are the majority in Croatia. Usually it's the minority who face racism. It'd be akin to saying Whites have to deal with racism from a Black minority, when it's usually the other way around. That's why I asked.

7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Is his dad ethnic Croatian as well?

8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Google a picture of Toljan

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I didn't know he was Black. Someone mentioned he had a Croatian mom. My mistake

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    you'd be surprised

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
  12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. abelgeri

abelgeri Member

Aug 26, 2015
    This may come across as crass but are we even sure that the father is dead? I suppose there is really no way of knowing but this is a somewhat common occurrence (wish it wasn't so). Dad leaves mom before baby is born, mother tells son/daughter your father died rather than tell him/her your father wanted nothing to do with you, was a complete a**hole, etc.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    There are racists everywhere, but in some places way more than in others.

KenC and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    It does sound like Toljan is more connected to Croatia. Not sure who they have at fullback. It is interesting then that he has never played for them. But maybe he becomes best friends with Pulisic; starts hanging out with him and Weston, Haji, Nick making runs to Chipotle...

Ok, long shot.

mike4066, Gacm32 and KicksNgiggles repped this.
  17. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    That's a long Chipotle run... maybe they can pick up Chandler while they're there.

[​IMG]

mike4066, KenC and LouisZ repped this.
  18. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    IANAL, but if I'm reading this guide from the State Department correctly he would probably need to have a DNA test done with his father's family to prove paternity AND have his father's family provide documents that his father was a US Citizen AND hope that his dad never renounced his US Citizenship for whatever reason (acquiring a different citizenship, political protest, etc). I guess maybe the DNA test could be replaced with some testimony from both his mom and his dad's family that said "yeah, that guy is very much Jeremy's father" but either way it would require close communication with with his dad's family.

So... yeah. Barring a deep and beautiful bromance with Pulisic, I can't say that I have high hopes of ever seeing Jeremy in a US uniform.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Pulisic says he goes once a month or something. All the more time to hang with the bros.

We have plenty of friendlies coming up. Doubt he would have to file a switch to play for us in a friendly. Of course, if he has no real intention to play then I'd rather get more minutes to guys like Antonee Robinson. But if he is at all curious, bring him in.

20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would actually need to file a one-time switch to play in a USMNT friendly.

Again, I'd be absolutely stunned if this happened.

Gacm32 repped this.
  21. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    You always come along and throw water on our fun!

Continuing with the silliness, if Toljan didn't file a switch, played with the USMNT vs.Japan on March 23rd, what would FIFA do, make us forfeit the friendly retroactively?

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is almost like thinking what one would do if I win the state lottery.

23. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Fielding an ineligible player has happened a few times, and each time FIFA gaves the opponent a 3-0 victory and fined the federation around $12,000. If we kept playing him, FIFA would probably increase the fine and eventually threaten to revoke the federation's recognition. Also, I assume that his club could turn down a call-up from a federation that he's not registered with, so he could face fines from the club for breaking his contract.

edit: I guess I should note that each time this has happened, it's been in a World Cup qualifying match, and that the fines are set in the World Cup rules, but I assume the same thing would happen in a friendly.

24. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    A lot of times players will give a very savvy PR-conscious answer about repping countries when deep-down they have no interest, and he didn't even give us that.

I probably have as big of a tent as anyone in these forums when it comes to dual-nats, but absent a legitimate change of heart (which is possible, people change) I'm all set with this guy. No hard feelings, no harm done, but his heart lies somewhere else. And I can appreciate it when a player turns down what is probably a better chance to play internationally in order to hold out hope for his country of choice.

mike4066 and justinpaul10 repped this.