Jeremy Toljan at US Sassuolo Calcio

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Dec 1, 2011.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @bungadiri Jeremy Toljan at Borussia Dortmund

bungadiri repped this.
  2. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually 3 I guess. Forgot about Subotic. Kinda crazy.

3. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subotic is Bosnian-Serbian.

KicksNgiggles and The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think what gives Toljan even more of a boast is CL football. The other leftback alternatives are either EL or domestic only. The German coach has been harping on for a few years about wanting players to do well in Europe, specifically CL. As that is the ultimate practice for NT tournaments like WC and Euros. So yeah pretty much if Toljan can break into the XI for domestic and CL. Would be hard to ignore him.

With Hector out until December (missing overall 4 games). That means even if Plattenhardt is chosen, he might still call on someone else to give a chance to. In terms of recent call ups for LB, it's been Platte and Gerhardt, outside of Hector. Heck he could easily divide the October games to 2 different LB to see how they play. There are also 2 Friendly games in November, although that wouldn't cap tie a player, it would still mean they are in contention. For example some players that were picked at the WC 14 had only 1-2 caps before the tourney. Others who played a bit leading up to the WC, didn't get real chances until a year or 2 after the WC.

Toljan is a versatile player more so than other defenders as he can play well all over the defense. Which might make him more useful than others.

Deeneaus repped this.
  5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are good points, and Löw may have gotten over his thing for playing four center backs at the same time. Toljan's versatility and well-rounded tools should in theory give him a leg up over an exclusive left back like Plattenhardt - I think specialization is one of the factors that kept Schmelzer out of the NT.

WC could happen, in 2014 guys like Durm, Kramer and Mustafi snuck into the squad out of nowhere. But the USSF should have its ducks lined up in a row, just in case.

Ger90 repped this.
  6. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are certainly correct. Had a little Croat Serb mix up there. :x3:

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    More like a brain fart for the ages.

I know that region fairly well, and let's just say that the Serb-Croat animosity makes Northern Ireland seem like a Quaker meeting room.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  8. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts at LB against BMG and delivers a great assist for Max Philipp in BVB's 6-1 win.

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Where's Klinsi? Can we send him over to Germany and have a chat with Toljan?

This kid was very impressive for BVB yesterday.

adam tash repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was tried before.

11. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team of the Week:

PalmettoSpur and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does phillipp really deserve a 10? I understand that he scored 2 and assisted 1 but he seemed like he didn't have much of an impact besides that. I think a 9.5-9.7 would have been more fair.

14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen tried and was given a quick no

I am not sure he even has an American passport. I would bet heavily that he does not. Given that his parents were not married and his father died a long time ago (even before he was born - thus not even being around to around at the time of the birth certificate). He doesn’t even know any of his American family either- at least not as of a few years ago

And even if he wanted to get one, I think it would be a very very difficult process

BostonRed repped this.
  15. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets the start a left back today against Wolfsburg. He has 8 appearances (7 starts) in the Bundesliga with Dortmund (including today). Also a start in the cup, and 2 appearances (1 start) in the Champions League. He made 2 starts with Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga and 1 in the cup before the transfer.

16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems unlikely to play for Germany anytime soon in an official competition, might be a chance to get him.

edcrocker repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he's also eligible for Croatia it's not Germany or US only and if shredder is accurate him being eligible for the US seems complicated. Besides his seeming lack of interest in playing for the US.

BostonRed repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have asked him a couple of times and each time he declined.

But then again, see how Mexico continue to invite JoGo ended up.

19. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    I could be wrong, but he currently doesn’t have a US passport (his dad died before he was born and something about just the mom on the birth certificate or something about paperwork) and FIFA rules prevent players going back and getting a passport once they get provisionally cap tied.
    Jurgen tried to talk him into getting his US passport and he had zero interest.
    Very estranged from his American side of the family, too.
    It would be best to just let this one go.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that FIFA rules accept a citizenship you were eligible for at birth even if you never went to the effort to have it issued to you. The limitation is that you can't naturalize into a citizenship after you are provisionally cap-tied.

edcrocker, Ghost and DanielS1085 repped this.
  21. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct except that there is no FIFA issue. Toljan was born to a US-born father, so according to US law he is a natural born citizen and he was always US eligible from a FIFA standpoint. The fact that he would have to go through a bunch of documentation and filings to actually get the US passport is not relevant.

Basically this is the almost the same situation as Terrence Boyd, except 1) Toljan would actually have to become interested in switching and 2) his father being deceased makes documentation a pain in the ass. Worth an occasional temperature check from US Soccer, though I wouldn't say he is an immediate difference-maker.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is the only reason we still have a remote chance with this kid.

23. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    Ahh ok. Thanks!

naopon repped this.
  24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that his father is dead (and died before Jeremy was born) AND the fact that his parents were never married makes it a gigantic pain in the ass, legally. It's possible, but I'm sure someone here could actually describe just how difficult it would be to get that passport under those circumstances.

DanielS1085 and naopon repped this.
  25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably DNA testing would part of the process.