Jefferson Montero

Discussion in 'Ecuador - Players Abroad' started by BigSoccer Bot, Feb 26, 2008.

1. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Finally signed...Swansea City have signed Ecuador winger Jefferson Montero on a four-year contract for an undisclosed fee.

Can't wait for August 16: ManUnited vs. Swansea City.

2. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Wow...Valencia's been playing RB for United.

3. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    This was all but official, they had to wait for the special work permit the premier league requires (a fact sheet of the player where his NT games appear detailed) dont forget that in order to play in the premier if you are a foreigner you have to at least performed in 7 of the last 10 NT Games, which they were going to approve yesterday on the 23rd, signing was done moments later, its why I already had Montero on Swansea that players abroad list.

4. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I can't wait either! Reminds me of August 15th 2009: Man Utd vs Birmingham - Chucho's first PL match and Toño's first PL match in a Utd shirt.

5. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm more excited to see Enner than those 2.

6. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm exited to see all there. If anyone watched yesterday's friendly game of Man U... Valencia was killing it. Man U played with a line of 3 on the back and Valencia was very dangerous when attacking. He still struggles to defend in this formation though. His teammates kept telling him to fall back more lol.

It's going to be awesome watching Montero too. He'll have better support around him than he did at Morelia. So I'm sure he'll improve too.

7. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I'm a little angry at Montero because he didn't show up in the WC, but when he's on his game he's unstoppable. I also think he's on a good team that plays passing football. So I'm excited to see him.

Antonio looks like he's going to be playing RB this season. Which is good for him because I think he's done as a top-class winger. I could see him doing like Walter and playing RB at United and midfield for the NT. Will be interesting to see what Vizuete does...I don't think he is as clueless as Rueda to stick with players who are not performing just based on the past.

8. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    True and now with Andy Carroll out for 4 months...hopefully Enner will get a good shot at being a starter.

barcelonista1981 repped this.
  9. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm with you on this. I was also annoyed with not just Montero, but Antonio as well. I feel like it's going to be tough for them to make that feeling fade away until they start playing well again. But I feel more bothered that Antonio didn't speak at all after the WC performances. He just did really bad, stayed in Brazil for a while, and didn't speak to anyone at all about the WC. He just disappeared. I think he owes everyone an explanation at the very least, not just a few words on twitter. Very disappointed and bothered with him.

As far as his role in United, I think he's going to play as a carrilero. Van Gaal is playing a 3-5-2 with Rooney and Welbeck up front (later Van Persie will take his spot) and Mata as an enganche. Antonio is going to have to adjust to covering more ground than he's ever done. In that aspect, I'm not worried. He is very tactically disciplined, more so than the rest of the squad. I don't know if he'll shine, pero es bien cumplidor. His competition will be Rafael this time, who I might say has the ideal characteristics to bring better balance than Antonio. Rafael's problem is consistency, which is where Antonio might have an upper hand on him. I personally liked Rafael when he played more than Antonio and found Antonio a bit uncomfortable in the position. We'll have to see what happens. The great thing about this is Valencia will have experience in the line of 3 at the elite level which is what someone like Bauza would implement in our NT. We should definitely consider this a plus and hope he gets adjusted.

10. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    #435 viagoal, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

11. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I have a good feeling about Montero. They love fast, tricky wingers in England. Plus whenever I've seen Swansea they have a nice style of football. The timing is perfect, too, he's 24 which is the perfect age to bring it to the next level.

12. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    some of the things might be better left unsaid at these moments...I think Antonio keeping quiet is for the best. People will get over it soon enough.

13. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Monteros touches yesterday.

Manolo repped this.
  14. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
  15. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Montero looking good already! He is going to be fun to watch this season. He finally looks happy lol. He does amazing things when he has good players around him. He also does good with the team isn't defending the while time and expecting Montero to do all the work by himself. Lol.

16. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Lot's of the long balls he got were tipo Cristian Noboa. He seems in much better form now than a month and a half ago in Brazil when our participation started. There was a play at the 1:00 mark where you can't really tell if he shot or crossed the ball. I think it's those situations where Jeff needs to be more decisive. That's EXACTLY what I hope he ends up polishing in the Premier League. And also his ball hogging at moments, especially when he wants to take on 3 or more players (whether it is done successfully or not) and makes the wrong choice in the decisive moments of the play. He is not a striker, but having Jeff on the field is like having another mediapunta so he must improve his finishing. I'd also like to see more long shots from him. I think those are few, but yet very important aspects that would mold him into an elite level player. They are qualities that even Michael Arroyo has. What Arroyo may not have is Montero's pace, but he has other qualities that make up for it and even outweigh it at times.

17. cristian1mv

cristian1mv Member

Jul 6, 2005
  18. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If anyone is watching Man U vs SWA... Montero just owned ManU defense. That first goal was created because of him.

19. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  20. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
  21. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Good start for Montero and for Swans. Poor LVG, I think he just realized he's going to have a harder time in England than in Spain or Germany, where the big teams win every game.

Will be great to see Montero with Swans at home where they'll play a more attacking style. They have always had a team that plays nice football, and their goals against Man U were well taken.

22. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
  23. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Apparently had a brilliant match against Everton in the league Cup. I check the Swansea forum and they absolutely rave about him. Hope they post some highlights on YouTube.

barcelonista1981 repped this.
  24. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Saw it, but the connection was cr@p but the announcers were raving about him, the first goal it's all him. here, got you some highlights.