Jeff Agoos World Cup injury...now mine

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Coach_Barry, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching when Jeff Agoos went down, believing that he had been hit by something in the calf - perhaps something thrown by a spectator.

I remember someone posting on these boards about a specific injury that felt exactly like that. As we all know, Agoos ended up injured and out of action for many weeks.

The same thing happened to me just this evening. No contact. I was manuevering with the ball in a warm up possession game with my U12's when I felt a sharp smack in my right calf. I thought I had been hit with a rock, until it all started tightening up. I have not been able to walk on it since and will be seeing a doctor tomorrow.

Can anyone offer any insight into exactly what has happened to me? Will it heal itself with rest or does it require surgery?

Anything you can offer would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where in the calf ?

High up just below the knee or near the achilles ?

3. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top half of the calf muscle. Most of the pain is dead center in the largest part of the muscle and running up towards the knee.

4. jomo9501

jomo9501 Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Easton, Ma.
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Treatment

Same thing happened to me last year. I used the R.I.C.E. treatment method. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. It took a couiple of days, but got better. To this day, if I don't stretch, I stiil feel the muscle ready to pop.

Coach Joe.

5. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warning: I am not an orthopedic surgeon.

I think you may have pulled your plantaris muscle. This is small muscle that sits deep to your gastrocnemis (big calf muscle). I don't think there's much you can do other than what the above poster recommended, but you should DEFINITELY have an ortho guy take a look if its really bothering you. I don't think there's much you can do to this muscle that would need surgery to fix.

6. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did pretty much the same thing about 1 year ago. It took me about 1 month to come back. I tried coming back too early and felt it tighten up bad, but not "snap" so I stopped and went back to icing it, etc. use your best judgement and see a Dr. if it's bad enough.

7. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks everyone. I'm seeing the doc in about an hour.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Sounds like a torn calf muscle (duh). I've had that (and just about everything else). It usually takes 3-6 weeks to heal on it's own, no surgery necessary unless you've really destroyed it, which is unlikely.

It should start to feel better after a few days. The BIG problem with this injury is that you can't tell for sure when it's healed! The best policy is that if you think it's healed, wait another week or two. If you reinjure it (as I did), go back to the original time estimate and add another week or two (i.e., don't reinjure it).

Once you're starting to walk w/o too much pain, start gentle achilles stretches, but back off at any sign of pain. Do the stretches as much as you can, but do it very gently. Particulary try and stretch it when first getting out of bed in the morning (or have been sitting for a while), or else you'll tend to tear the fibers that have healed over night.