Jay Heaps after 5 years: still the right guy for the job?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Heaps still be the coach for the 2017 Revs?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    81.4%
  3. Yes - but on a short leash.

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA

Sadly, I believe that for them, Burns is that guy. Promote him!

2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And keep promoting him in the Kraft organization until he's not responsible for the Revs. Subtraction by promotion....

3. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late to the party, but repeating my thoughts from years ago. Heaps was never the right person for the coaching job and should not be there now.

RevsLiverpool and pwykes repped this.
  4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had not seen the stats before my vote. Great to see the BS NNNs are still alive and well. 8^}

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    As long as the Krafts own the Revs, the team will be on a drip-feed/life support. The idea is and has always been to keep costs down as low as they can go without causing a revolution in the MLS office or among the fan base. The charade has gone on for 20 years and I suppose will continue for another 20 until Garber or Garber's son puts his foot down.
    The coach makes no difference under these circumstances. Sadly. Do you honestly think an accomplished coach would work for this organization? Why would he?

ToMhIlL repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber's son? I didn't know MLS had primogeniture.

Maybe Jonathan Kraft's kids who must be young adults by now. Perhaps in another 10 years one of them might take over the club and by then, it will be obvious how far badly we've fallen behind and we might start evolving to 2012-levels of Front Officedom.

7. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Would you consider Steve Nicol accomplished? (Serious question, as I'm young, and don't know these things. Also, I don't mean hire him again, I mean when we first acquired him.)

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not particularly. He was coaching the Boston Bulldogs at that stage.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he was accomplished in the sense that he had a lot of experience in the game at a very high level -- English D1/Premier league, Euro Champions Cup, lotsa caps and a World Cup for Scotland.

But how many guys with a similar level of pedigree are already living in the area and are looking to get into coaching? Nicol wasn't going to take the job with the Rapids in 2002. The Revs were lucky he was interested and available.

Who knows, maybe Llamosa is the Nicol to Heaps' Clavijo?

MM66 repped this.
  10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read his question as accomplished coach ... like Martino at Atlanta.

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah thenk thu ped-uh-grree uvva maanagur ess a bett ovur-rated. At thu endathadey, a maaanagurr ess only as guud as the pleyurs he haas. But then yuh gut a guy lake Zidane enn Mahdred, an he tuuk off Chress-chiano Ronaldo cuz he wanted to change thu shape, wull, thaassa brelliant muve. Ett some point, Renaldo's gunna realaze ett's furr his owwn guud, he'll be a be-ur pleyyr. No-one wants tae come off. an thu pleyurs lake tha, they got a begg ego, an rate-fulleh so, the ego ess paartt a wha makes him sucha brell-yint pleyur.

nsa, TOAzer and a517dogg repped this.
  12. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once I read this out loud it does sound eerily like Steve on ESPN FC..... You have a gift, ToMhIIL

13. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we know. no one is expecting miracles.

"accomplished"? we'll settle for "qualified".

NFLPatriot repped this.
  14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah Yusta werk as a trans-la-ur a' thu Yue-Enn.

a517dogg repped this.
  15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a very good article. It seems that everybody "gets" the Revs situation, except the Revs FO. Which is where the problem lies. I don't think Heaps is a very good coach. But, the FO is nothing short of the Key Stone Cops. SoccerDoc has been right all along, get the tar and feathers out for Burns and add BB to the mix.

MM66 repped this.
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I was just thinking yesterday that a home loss to MIN would certainly have to place Heaps on the hot seat. But then I remembered this is the Revs we are talking about.

18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We thought he would be on the hot seat last year. remember the speculation that winning the Open Cup would be the only thing that could save Heaps' job? Well, that didn't happen, so it evolved into "makingthe playoffs is the only thing that could save Heaps' job."

And then Burns brought him back because we are on the cusp. The cusp of mediocrity, maybe, but it's still the cusp.

Uless we turn into the 2001 Mutiny, the 1999 Metros or one of several really bad Chivas teams, Heaps won't be replaced until next off seson at the earliest.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The Revs have shown that they will make a coaching change during the season. It's happened multiple times.

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by "multiple" you mean twice, then yes. And one was with two games left in the season and the playoffs already out of reach, so that doesn't really count.

Plus, those were both more than 14 years ago, when none of the current front office was in place. Bilello joined 12 years ago, Burns 11 years ago. So, the current Revs FO has NOT shown that, yet.

dncm, pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said this before, but we can only hope that Llamosa is there to be the Nicol to Heaps' Clavijo. I simply can't imagine the Revs firing a coach mid-season and bring in a new, experienced coach from elsewhere.

22. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That would have been five-star deadpan humor, if only you had meant it in that spirit.

TOAzer repped this.
  23. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Just a shout out for doing some diligence with some facts on the history! Not because of NNN or KAD, just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Much appreciated.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a coach, no. But as a player, absolutely. He was a defender for a dominant Liverpool in the 80s and early 90s, playing alongside the likes of Dalglish, Rush and others, plus internationally for Scotland. He has a very smart soccer brain which translated beautifully into success during the pre-Beckham/DP era of MLS. Things started changing in 2007 when Beckham arrived and the league introduced DPs then began its near annual league expansion. Throw in the fact the revs started losing key talent from its core, Nicol's overreliance on "lunchpail guys", coupled with several poor drafts in a row in the mid 2000s and there were no like-for-like replacements for Parkhurst, Dempsey, Noonan and later losing Twellman and Ralston to devastating injuries.

We also can't forget Paul Mariner was ex-England and Arsenal man with a distinguished career himself and great soccer brain. He no doubt advised Nicol quite a bit on talent, tactics, etc.

Taking away any coaching experience, compare tha Nicol/Mariner pedigree coming into the job to Heaps/Soehn. Even acknowledging his woeful years in 2010 and 2011, Nicol is light years beyond his predecessor IMO.

25. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean successor, right? As much as I like Steve, I don't think he was radically different in coaching qualification than Clavijo at the time he took over for him.