Jay Heaps after 5 years: still the right guy for the job?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Dec 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Heaps still be the coach for the 2017 Revs?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    81.4%
  3. Yes - but on a short leash.

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting quotes from that article:
    Good to find out that Heaps has his A License already...

Another participant in the class:

2. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I also thought this was interesting:

Later in the year, US Soccer coach educators will visit Pro Course participants in their particular coaching environments to observe their work before tailoring customized programs for each.

Per a conversation on SiriusXM, Oscar Pareja had to devote quite a bit of time to this, so Heaps is going to be busy throughout the year.

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that means even less time for scouting new players.... Ah, who needs new guys, we're on the CUSP!

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Interesting that it says the course is only open to domestic participants and yet it will become a USSF requirement at some point for MLS, USL, etc. clubs. Isn't that effectively shutting out foreign coaches?

5. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll probably be phased in; it is only year two or so if the program. Including foreign coaches in this mix brings in some visa issues that they probably wanted to avoid in year one. But they'll likely have to open it up eventually.

6. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for further knowledge and education. But realistically, does the US have the best soccer program in the world? Ah, No! So this idea that these Pro courses are going to help fix your short comings is kind of laughable. Gaining additional knowledge is great, but it's what you do with that knowledge is much more important.

My example of the ussf courses is the time when I was getting my "D" license; we were having a discussion of drills to help players control the ball. I said that I liked soccer tennis. A player has to control a ball that is not played on the ground and quickly play the ball over "the net". I was told in so many words that that was a stupid drill. A couple of years ago I was watching a program; they were at Barcelona's training camp. There was Messi, Neymar, and a couple of other players doing a soccer tennis like drill. I hollered at the tv, hey don't you guys know that that is a stupid drill.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foreign coaches can get the equivalent through their own FA.

8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want a beautiful new stadium with higher ticket prices to watch a shit product on the field. Sticking with the Bay Area, it would be the San Francisco 49ers. Get the on-field product right. That's always the priority (for me).

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always been the feeling that if/when they build a stadium, they WILL take this product more seriously.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But we are about the equivalent of the Earthquakes right now in terms of product on thne field. But they have a nice stadium and just hired a GM with qualifications and connections, so it's reasonable to think they'll get better.
    Yeah, the "Popeye Theory." But why do they have to build a stadium in order to take the team seriously? There are aproximately 12,482,487.2 thigs they could be doing right now that don't cost a lot of money or take a lot of ambition that can make a difference while we are sitting around waiting for the new stadium to be built.

11. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Kraft already owns the stadium and revenue stream---there is no "one day" to start spending money as with renters D.C. or the Quakes pre-Avaya.

12. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, apparently a D+ is good enough to keep your job as long as you're a Kraft loyalist. Competence? That's for losers. Sad!

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like to see someone rate the FO

RevsLiverpool and A Casual Fan repped this.
  15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #OnTheCusp!

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we get that to trend

17. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And D+ is very lenient -- I blame grade inflation. If it took you 1/2 a semester into a class (season), you finally figure something out that everyone in the class already knew (let's say, that our talent mix required a two-striker formation, or how to do long division) would you get a passing grade?

18. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Last night on CounterAttack with Brian Dunseth and Tony Meola on SiriusXM - Kyle McCarthy did a preview on the Revs and he echoed a lot of what has been said on this board.

The "jury is out" was his quote. Concerns that there are no real reads on the 4 new signings since 2 of them have been injured and have not really participated in preseason.

In addition, the discussion also centered around the fact that this is an important diamond (GK - 2 CB's - DM) and part of the spine. All are new players in a new league to them and still "a lot of question marks".

He used the phrase "the Revs are quietly hopeful" - again there is my note that I keep seeing the word "Hopeful" from multiple sources in talking about the Revs (feeling anxious again......)

Tony Meola asked Kyle at the end of interview if Jay is under pressure this year. Kyle said Heaps has to produce. He said they have to be good or they are going to have to ask some hard questions.

RevsLiverpool, patfan1 and VTSoccerFan repped this.
  20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask him some hard questions?

All I can think of was an old cartoon in "When Saturday Comes" where they were making fun of some of the typical cliches in English football. "They are asking questions of the Leeds defence" and there was Rio Ferdinand behind a game show podium being asked, "What is the capital of Abysinnia?" His response was "Err..."

Maybe they should have asked him those questions a year ago.

A while back when I dropped my car off for service, I saw none other than Jonathan Kraft. At the time I said hello and asked a polite enough, yet somewhat pointed question like "When are the Revs going to sign a top player to stay competitive?" and he just kind of laughed and muttered something about how they were going to be good this year, etc.

I brought it in today, and was hoping I'd see him again (no luck), but this time I was going to ask him why Heaps and Burns still have jobs. He prolly would have been stunned for several reasons: 1) some plebe actually confronted him with a non-fanboy question, 2) he actually encounterd a Revs fan in a random public place, 3) I did not acknowledge the Pats SB win, 4) someone cares enough to have a strong opinion about the Revs (even if it's "wrong"), 5) someone is holding his people more accountable than he is.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years ago, I was in Miami for a Pats game, and since we had a connection, we were staying at the same hotel as the Pats. I was outside with a few friends smoking a cigar, and Jonathan's limo pulls up. He was polite enough to come over and thank us for supporting the Pats on the road, and I told him that I hope some day to something like this for the Revs. He seemed surprised and says he hopes to see the same. Then I told him, "Well, it won't happen until you guys actually spend some money." He did the "uh ... uh ... uh ... " and then walked away.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a candid conversation with someone who works for the revs. This person, while acknowledging many of my points, said he gets fired up when people say "the Krafts don't care" about the revs or they don't spend money etc etc. I simply said actions speak louder than words.

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, the Kraft's care. They care about winning, and they care even more about the bottom line.

metoo and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk to some of the people that WORKED for the Revs. And also talk to some of the old media that covered this team. You'll hear some interesting comments.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a difference between "caring" and "caring."

Sure, the Krafts "care" in that they are happy when the team wins, happy to see a good crowd on hand, happy to see the league as a whole doing well, happy to glad-hand the players and all that. Are they absolutely gutted when the team lost in any of the 5 finals? Disappointed, sure. But gutted, where it is still bothering them a week later? Gutted to the point that they can't watch a replay of the game?

Do they have a "Patriots-level" of caring about the Revs? I'm not saying they should spend the same kind of money, but I am saying that if they had the same level of "caring," they would have someone on staff who knew the MLS rules (both written and unwritten) inside and out, and was always looking for the loopholes that no one else could find that would give the Revs even the slightest edge. Like having a full roster. Like having a USL team. If only we were allowed to do those things... Even if you want to run yourself as a "moneyball" team, that means it is that much more important to have people like that, because you can't go out and buy a player for a bajillion dollars.

Teams can be big spenders and lax on the litle things, or they can be budget concious and make up for it in other ways. The Revs are a combination of both, kinda like what JFK once said about Washington DC a long time ago: The combination of Southern efficiency and Northern charm.

So sure, the Krafts "care," as long as it doesn't take any effort or money, but they don't "care" enough to actually do the "little" things that don't always take a lot of money or work, but actually can make a difference. Why bother? It's just... [rest of the sentence not spoken, because it takes too much effort to say "too much effort to do all that."]

Revs in 2010 and Feldspar repped this.