Japanese un-welcome at China Asian cup2004??

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by LeslieSantosfan, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i agree, those pictures are sad and horrible.

2. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California

3. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Don't know what to say here. Maybe China never having beaten Korea is the reason?

4. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Does the Japanese military still fly the Asahi ki?

From what I have read the hinomaru dates from 18th century and has been used as the flag of Japan from the mid-19th century onwards. That is, once they opened up to the world. It was used to identify Japnese ships.

So it predates the WWII era and does not represent imperialist Japan, anymore than the current flag of France represents their Napoleanic exploits. Should the United Kingdom cease to fly the Union Jack out of sensitivity to India and Africa?

The German flags and anthems of 1930-40 were the work of a political party as were the symbols of the USSR.

5. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Yeah, that probably has a lot to do with it.

I had considerable difficulty convincing them that South Korea had played inspired football in the World Cup. ;)

6. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Their claims of Korean football being defensive is laughable when our team has a habit of putting the ball into their net on a higher frequency level than them doing the same to us. WIth all this talk, I'm itching for a China-South Korea match to put this bullshiet to an end.

7. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    In fact, Germany does use the same anthem, with completely different lyrics.
    It is the Austrian Hymn that Haydn also used as the slow movt. of his Emperor Quartet (op.76 no.3, I believe). More widely known as "Deutschland Uber Alles."

The lyrics now are a pean to unity, democracy, freedom, but if Germany plays in Holland, what the Dutch still hear is -- Haydn. :)

8. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Japan doesn't even have military any more. They do have JIEITAI which translate into "self-defence force" but by Japanese constitution, they are not allowed to get involve in any combat.

When the US went into Iraq, these JIEITAI did go to the war, but they never fought.

9. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Not sure if it is still true, but for many years, Japanese spending on "self defense" was larger that any other nations' military, except the US.

10. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Mid 19th century is when the Meiji Restoration and imperialization of Japan occurred (specifically 1867). The hinomaru is one the vital symbols of that era. So, yes, I would say that the hinomaru DOES represent imperialist Japan to many people in Asia.

I must add that nothing is forever. Everything has its context. 100 years from now, provided that Japan remains a peaceful nation, that perception would surely change.

There were many progressives in Japan who opposed making the hinomaru the official national flag in 1999. If reasonable people in Japan can disagree about whether the hinomaru is the appropriate national flag, then we certainly can too.

11. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes it did get big, but I still think in term of conbat skills, they are very weak. If Japan get attacked, Japan is defence-less unless the US back them up with the military force (that's if the US keeps its promise). Therefore, Japan is kinda forced to follow the United States, no matter what they beileve.

I think Japan should change the consitution, so that they can use force if they are attacked. That way, they don't have support the US all the time. But in order to that 3/4 of the public has to agree by voting.

12. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Not trying to get anyone angry, but why all the talk about the Japanese flag or its military past. So it may or may not represent imperialism, I'm sure the flag represents the long and changing history of Japan. Modern Japan (post WWII) has to be amongst the most pacifist countries in the civilized world.

If we take this logic further, I guess we should look at changing the American flag because to some British the Stars and Stripes may represent rebellion against their government, or to some Indians it represents genocide, to some Mexicans (like my ancestors) it may mean imperialism from their claims on the southwestern US. Well, it could mean all of those things, but I feel dang certain that Old Glory will not change for any of those or any other reason for that matter. If some Chinese have problems with the Japanese government or people, I suggest that it use what's left of its pseudo-communist rule of law to outlaw all Japanese goods, products, and of course borrowings. I for one think that China would be the worse off if that happened.

Again, I can't stress enough that my comments are not directed at anyone in particular, it's just an opinion.

As far as the Asia Cup goes . . . MACH GO GO GO & GO GO JAPAN!!!!!

Okay, let the rep parade/bashing begin!

13. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I respect your opinion and kinda understand why you feel that way. However, as a red blooded Texan/American GOP backer, I would not like that. I like having a military presence in Asia. For that matter, I like having a military presence in Europe and the Middle East. Good to have our defense/offense forces strategically loacted around the world.

Okay, that makes me sound like an imperialist doesn't it. Well, I'll have to live with that.

Go Go Japan!

14. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    If imperial France, Britain, Belgium, and the United States have not had to change their flag, neither should Japan.

Very true. Japan has been a peaceful nation for fifty years. Not many can make that claim.

Absolutely.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I see your point, but the comparison fails because the Americans were nowhere near as brutal vs Mexicans as the Japanese were during WWII. Plus, there are still survivors in Japan's former colonies and the government leadership has been reluctant to make amends for its past war crimes, so the wounds are far from closed. Maybe things will change in the next generation or two, but this is still recent history.

16. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    how come skipshady keep deleting my posts... ican't say anything here.. :mad:

17. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Don't be an idiot. Here is another example:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-asianpolitics_sports_feature&prov=reuters&type=lgns
    At one point, a Chinese fan with Japan's flag painted on his cheeks entered Cao's section of the stands and another man berated him until he agreed to rub out the red suns.

18. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    That stupid actress who wore the "asahi ki dress" got shi+ smeared over her face, and everybody said she deserved it, the bi+ch was still forced to apologise to the people. Any fan who paints the japanese flag on their face must have a short memory. You go to Israel and paint a swastika on your face and see what happens.

19. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Silence Idiot... :D

20. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hey dumb dumb what am I suppose to look at there, its all text no pictures. Welcome to a football match you couch potatoe. A man with a badge of barcelona painted on the face walks into a match and sits among a group of Real Madrid fans they would berate him the same way, same goes with Everton-Liverpool, ManUtd-City, Middlesborough-Newcastle, River-Boca, Milan derby, Roma-Lazio would get you beat up, as the same as Millwall-Chelsea-Westham.

Why dont you read that article over and understand that there is a rivalry between the two countries. And notice how its Cao agreed to rub it off and they did not do it for him.

21. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    um let me tell u exact reasons why.

First in late late 90s, Korean soccer struggled bad (Japan was considered as top team in asia) and that was when chinese soccer amerged.
    chinese football association and media targeted Korea as obstacle to overcome for China to be in top team in asia. (IMO it was possible since korea struggled bad)

well we all know what happened after. Korea has changed, and changed its style (by dumping old fashioned simple kick and rush) but chinese attitude toward korea havent.

22. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    um well Japan is surrounded by sea and its only way to get into Japan...
    NONE in asia can match up with JMSDF in sea except probably Russia.
    Just 1 Kongo class destroyer (with aegis) would trash whole ROK navy.
    JMSDF has 4 of em (2 more in near future)

23. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    Man everyone and their dog is getting Aegis nowadays, Korea will soon start building their KDX-3 destoyers and Taiwan might even get them. Of Course China already has the "red Aegis".

24. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    !!! You've been spying around for Korean military secrets haven't ya, shenhua? :)

25. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    Just a little bit.

[​IMG]