Japanese soccer-related vocabulary?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by dokool, Mar 11, 2009.

1. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    In an effort to boost my vocab knowledge (and make it so that I'm not wasting the money I spend on El Golazo and Weekly Soccer Digest), I was wondering if we could start a list of common kanji/words used in soccer journalism? My kanji's horrible so I'm not one to ask but I know we have a couple people on here who passed their JLPT1, right? ;)

2. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice idea for a thread. I'm far from what I'd regard a "high level" Japanese speaker, but I've been trying to improve my football conversation ability lately.

Just to get the ball rolling:

守備 (しゅび) SHUBI - Defense

Example (from this month's S-Pulse magazine):

守備面では高木和道が抜け、戦力ダウンが心配されていますが。。。
    (On the defensive side of things, Takagi's departure may cause some concern about our match strength, but...)

Is this the sort of thing you meant? :) I like the idea of a word a day kind of thing.

3. furtho

furtho Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Great idea, Dokool. My kanji knowledge is eye-wateringly poor, so I'll throw in a ridiculously easy one.

選手 = senshu (player)

4. manyar

manyar New Member

May 2, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Not a kanji thing, but I've often wondered about "middle shoot" which match commentators spout so regularly with regard to medium- or long-range efforts.

Are they really saying "middle shoot"? And if so, why "middle"? Why not "long shoot"?

5. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Let me throw in another word.

ボランチ BORANCHI - defensive midfielder. Comes from the Portuguese term "volante."

6. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Yes they are saying "middle shoot". Apparently the Japanese concept of 25-30 yards is pretty mid-range. Long would mean really long-distance.

I always find myself having to re-explain my holding midfield role in my recreational team, whenever I say "I play at volante". Nobody around here knows what it means. :eek:

7. larc-en

larc-en Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Thanks!

Could we have a list of all the positions for completeness? I know some others arent directly linked to the English equivalent like トップ下 TOPPUSHITA - attacking midfielder?

I remember when Kakitani scored from behind the halfway line against France youth team, the commentator described that as a long shoot.

8. zombiers

zombiers Red Card

Mar 12, 2009
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Boranchi is the problem of Japanese team.

I gurantee you all that Japan will lose from Bahrain and Qatar in the following game.

You should plan on 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not this year!!!!

9. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Bumping this because it's a really useful thread (or at least I think so :p) and deserves some more thought (and posts!) I'm probably pushing my luck but stickying this thread probably wouldn't be the worst of ideas just so it's always up top so people can add to it when they feel the urge.

手応え - TEGOTAE - response, resistance, reaction, feedback.

This word is used often when talking about players who are recovering from injuries... I would think that "resistance" would be a bad thing but the word often seems to be in a positive context.

For example, this quote from Naohiro Ishikawa:

「ボールを引き出す動きでは手応えを得た」

"There was good response [from my left knee] when I was taking the ball out."

Although honestly I'm not quite sure how to translate 引き出す so if anyone wants to step in and correct me by all means :rolleyes:

10. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I dont know if there is an English word for it... It's more about the player's positioning / running which makes him "pull out" a pass from his teammates, so essentially he made himself available to receive the ball and he felt it was going well(手応え).

11. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Slight bump/addition courtesy of Shuvy.

12. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I like "TOPPA SURU." -- 突破する

It means "to go through, to penetrate."

It can be sued both for a player sneaking through, but also for a team that comes out of a group, basically "to qualify."

13. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I like "Gyaku-saido!" (Other side) that we used a lot when I played in Japan (our International High School in Fukuoka got stomped when we played Japanese high schools, remember this was the late 1990's, the era of Higashi Fukuoka dominating).

Anyway, gyaku-saido pretty much means "to switch sides", as in to cross the ball to the other side of the field.

14. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Who likes...

"Sekando" or "Sekando-boru" ...??

I love it!:)

15. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I love sekando boru. It's something this team desparately needs to work on. We're always a step too slow.

16. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, when the sekando boru comes, we can rarely come up with jasuto mi'ito shots...

17. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    OMG, how did we forget possibly the best one?

I am talking about the mighty cheer:

"GETTO GORU" (=Score a goal!)

18. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  19. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Why it's called soccer in Japan instead of football like in the whole world? Anyone knows the background?

20. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess
    - American influence
    - sakkaa is less awkward than futtobooru and is just 2 syllables.

21. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_in_Japan

Japan was not occupied by the British or French, but solely by US. Thus "soccer". Before WW2 there was a Japanese name.

22. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Thanks for the link. So it went like "We've got already a name for it but let's call it like Americans because... (write Your own idea here)" way. And I knew it was America influenced because football is soccer only in USA and Australia probably. I'd rather want to know why it won with football or old Japanese name and when it became more popular than those.

23. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's an interesting discussion considering baseball is largely Japanese terminology.

24. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Interesting indeed.
    As to why... like scotch says it probably is about just the shorter word. And "shukyu" sounds very non-modern to Japanese ears, maybe not catching the sports' western image.
    Considering that I don't think there was some sort of rivalry of 2 or 3 terms for one thing. When "football" or "shukyu" were used it was an exotic sports, nowhere near a mass or working class-sports. The word "soccer" probably sneaked in during occupation and post-war Japan and it was already commonly used (on above grounds) when the sports itself became popular in the late 60s.
    It would be interesting to read old news articles from that era... also for other football-related vocabulary.

25. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Even if you mention American influence, it's popular mainly within imigrants from Latin America or in the East Coast where most of European immigrants came and where the 'soccer' is most popular in America. Wasn't it a park-sport in Japan early in it's development? I was about to bring out 'yakyuu' for an example because it's much more popular in America (as scotch wrote) and English (well , 'American' because noone in the world, aside from USA and few other countries like Cuba, cares about it) could be much more used so it could be intruduced only by 'beikoku' occupying forces. Maybe someone with a bigger knowledge could bring some data about time when 'shuukyuu' changed into 'sakkaa'. I wonder why this question wasn't asked before (I thought there would be an easy answer). Any help would be appreciated.