Japanese NT @ FIFA World Cup 2010 Qualifier [R] - Part I

Discussion in 'Japan' started by seolseol, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Japanese NT @ World Cup Qualifier 2010 [R]

Would have to be a much better Japanese team. Because the current one wouldn't do it. Along with hoping Australia doesn't get any better in the process.

2. Kigai

Kigai Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

No offense to Australians, but Japan is better than they were in the World Cup, while Australia seems to be worse. Probably because Australia has changed coaches or something and people like Tim Cahill getting injured. I don't know.

With all this talk about about Japan being in the same group in Australia, I have a feeling Japan will be in South Korea's group. Which I prefer personally. More satisfying to beat South Korea than Australia for me.

3. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia

true, but if you played us like you did versus iraq, you will get demolished!!!

4. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I'm not sure what you're basing that on and it surely couldn't be the recent WCQ's. I think considering the absentee's Australia did pretty well. We did top the group.
    Cahill, along with Neill and probably Grella will be available for the first match. Although Valeri's pairing with Culina has been pretty successful.
    Well lets hope we all end up happy.

5. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

When is the draw?

6. Mr Mug

Mr Mug Member

Nov 21, 2007

A little over a week to go, Friday the 27th of June.

Can't wait.

7. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

For me Australia/Japan is something of an eternal question in this regard, probably for some time to come. I wrote a big analysis of Hiddink's tactics shortly after the 3-1 defeat, so I won't repeat it here. Suffice to say, JNT definitely need to learn more to deal with that sort of tactics, which aren't unusual for a physical side. The sooner the better, and the only way to get used to it is to face many physical sides. I think meeting Australia in the next round will be a precious experience, especially because mistakes won't necessarily be fatal at this stage (certainly not as fatal as in the later stages).

8. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia

I have pretty much watched every Australian game since the WC06, and I don't think are nearly as good under their new coach Verbeek. It is interesting that they don't really have a great striker at the moment, like us. They have Scott McDonald, but from what I've seen of him for the Australia NT, he's pretty average. Then there is Josh Kennedy, the Jesus-like giant, but I don't see a whole lot from him either. Tulio and Bomberhead would take him easy.

9. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

LOL is all i can say.

10. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Sounds like you're worried. Either that or you have an unhealthy obsession with Australian footballers. I'll grant you that Japan are a team to be weary of, but they're nothing outside our capabilities.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I've seen this kind of bravado from Australia fans before i.e. just before the asia cup when fans and media alike weren saying it would be a cake walk (and i don't need to remind ppl of who Aus lost to). If Japan and Australia get drawn together and Aus beats Japan fair enough, but i will remember some of the overconfindent posts on here from Norightfoot if the opposite happens.

12. aiueo-redded

aiueo-redded Red Card

Feb 3, 2006
    Japan
  13. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia

sounds like i live in australia and all i get is the damn socceroos

14. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Austrial is definately a good side, but I think Japan plays better football.

16. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Irony has no place on these forums. :)

17. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

About 5 years ago we would've been in total agreeance.

18. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia

oh well guys, lets just hope we get drawn together and as they say, LET THE FOOTBALL DO THE TALKING...

19. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

Outwardly, sentiments usually come before logic for most people on this subject, so what difference does it make. This isn't a clash of rationale where one side eventually convinces the other side or where one side allowing the other side to change his opinion as a result of a dialogue. Best to leave it at that especially when you're a visitor.

20. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

You won't get an argument from me, particularly since nobody was arguing. A person made the comment that Japan play better football than Australia. I'd argue that. And recent results would suggest to the contrary. Thats all I was saying. You know as well as I do that no matter what happens, Japan will qualifty for 2010, so it's really a c'est la vie-point. :)

21. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

Yes, but the exchange was becoming swashbuckling, which suggested to me that this was no longer a clash of logical debate, but rather a clash of sentiments. Having fun is one part of a forum like this so I have no quarrels about having a minor banter, but beyond that there is no end to it because in this sort of circumstances people go on just for the sake of not giving in to the opposing view. That creates an unpleasant environment for the rest of us, all just because one visitor jumped in on us.

In the end, this is a Japan thread so views found here will be for Japan; there are other forums and threads for other sides where your views are more at home. Logical debate from outside is certainly welcome, but it's not helpful when your undertone potentially encourages a battle of irony or windup competition.

22. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Swashbuckling? Thats a term I haven't heard for a while. :)

Again, you seem to think I was having a dig at Japan. I wasn't. But I do think Australia plays the better football, at full strength. But then I'm Australian (and half Croatian) so I would think that. Lets not get into an argument. I think it's safe to say both will qualify, and the best of luck to you. :)

23. maguro-redded

maguro-redded Red Card

Sep 22, 2006
    Shizuoka, Japan

Time to start a new thread?

24. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004

Heh. Yeah alright, fair enough. I do like that attitude, I just wish you got to that point in the first place without the earlier buildup when posting here. Good luck to you too mate :)
    It seems there's no need for that. A circumstantial disruption, nothing more.

25. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Yes.. the thread just past 500. I will close this one and start a new one:
    Japanese NT @ WCQ 2010 [R] - part II