Japanese Abroad 2008/09 [R] - Part II

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by aiueo-redded, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Japanese Abroad 2008/09 Part 2 [R]

Stabaek on to the 3rd CL-round! 4-0 at home against Tirana (aggr.: 5-1)

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/soccer/eusoccer/0809/headlines/20090722-00000034-jij-spo.html

Kobayashi was involved in 3 of Stabaek's goals through FK and CK, but article states no assists here.

Next opponent is likely to be FC Kopenhagen who have yet to play there 2nd match today but won their first against Mogren Budva 6-0... this is going to be tough.

2. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

FC Kopenhagen usually make the UCL so ye it will be very tough. Danish champs.

3. YakYak

YakYak Member

Feb 9, 2009
  4. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

It's quite short notice when he is only going to Europe beginning of August. Let's hope that he has already some clubs interested (or has a good agent), otherwise with friendlies already taking place all over the place, it might be too late to present himself before the new season...

5. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Adding to this FC Kopenhagen won also their away game by the same scoreline (6-0, 12-0 on aggr) and on Saturday they trashed HB Köge at home (7-1) :eek:

Tonight Kobayashi's Stabaek will play them... Keep your fingers crossed!

6. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

22 Years-old Ryutsu Keizai Univerity goalkeeper, Akihiro Hayashi, has joined Romanian Liga I (Romanian top division) side FC Astra Ploieşti.

http://www.nikkansports.com/soccer/news/p-sc-tp0-20090729-524488.html

Hayashi played for JNT in various youth levels like U-20 and U-23, and he recieved a call-up to Japan's senior NT training camp in 2007 during Ivica Osim's era.

Hayashi is widely viewed as the next Japan's NT first choice GK, he is tall (192 cm), and very talented player.

What is your views about that?

Anyway good luck for him.

7. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

By the way, This club has already a 23 years-old Japanese player on their first team, called "Takayuki Seto", who plays as a defensive midfielder.

The club is a newly-promoted side, and seems to be ambitious.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I always thought he was overrated, when I saw him play for the Japan U-20's all I saw was an average keeper. Hope he's improved since then.

9. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I's funny, when the real matches start for Celtic , Mizuno is not even on the bench.

10. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Oh for the love of God...

Are you serious!?!?

It's our first competitive match of the season and already people are whinging about his lack of playing time...

I'm a big fan of Koki. I had his name on my away strip last season but, in the pre-season matches, he's been average. The last game on Sunday, against Spurs, he was generally ok when guys like McCourt out-performed him and McGeady and Maloney played well on the Friday.

I'd expect, and possibly concur, with a post like this after 10 matches or so but the first game of the season...

11. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Stabaek lost 1-3 away to FC Kopenhagen, but Kobayashi did assist the vital away goal... it's getting increasingly difficult.

12. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

here is a good feature article on Charleston Battery midfielder Tsuyoshi Yoshitake in our local newspaper. He is doing well this season for us and just coming back from a couple weeks off after an injury.

Yoshitake's Gamble

Yoshi as we've nickednamed him here, has become a fan favorite. a group of 10-12 year-old boys seem to show up every match, each with a letter on there chest to spell out his name. Plus even with his limited english, he always takes time to sign autographs and shake peoples hands.

Truly a great addition.

On a side note, a few of us are wanting to make "Yoshi" banner in Kandji. any help would be appreciated.

13. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Not easy, because "Yoshi" can be written in different ways...

A safer (and perhaps cooler?) option would be to use katakana "syllables" and write it as:

ヨシ

surely something simple like:

がんばれ ヨシ! (DO YOUR UTMOST, YOSHI!)

would make him very happy.

In case, make sure that the last symbol looks like this: " シ " and NOT like this: " ツ "

Perhaps somebody else has any other ideas...?

If you make a banner, send us a picture, and in general keep us updated!

14. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I just checked.

The kanji for "Yoshi" in this case is the classic " 吉 ”

But I still think that, being a nickname, "ヨシ" would look better.

15. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Now I have a question, actually...

In all honesty, how is Kenji Treschuk doing?

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

thanks for your response goru_no_ura,

we were hoping to make it in to a two stick banner as most of us seem to be swamped these days. but if I find the time, I might make the がんばれ ヨシ but might have to get some more material for that one.

Treschuk is doing very well, He has had the task of kind of replacing our USL rookie of the year, Osolvo Alonso, who signed with the Seattle Sounders. (big shoes to fill)

He pulled up at a match a week or so ago but I spoke to him last Friday and he had started training again. We had a match last night and I heard he was ready to go, but with the rain we were having I think the coach was wise not to play him. Next week we have two games away on the weekend (Portland and Vancouver) and we will need the full roster.

whats the difference between "シ" and "ツ" and would it get me slapped by a woman? ;)

17. gandychan

gandychan Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I went to the same Dojo as Kenji Treschuk for Aikido when I was growing up and he went to the same high school as me. It's good to hear that he is doing well.

18. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Yeah, ask Kenji if it is true that "When he was coaching young boys in Hawaii he (=Kenji) was a huge hit with the local soccer moms..." :D
    It is true by the way! We used to coach in rival clubs, and I regularly beat him (not his fault, I had better players), but he was always nice and friendly, very rare for somebody at the Honolulu Bulls... :)

I wish him a great season with you guys!!

Now regarding Japanese language:

シ = "shi"
    ツ = "tsu"

A common mistake. No slap by women, but still would look a bit moronic...

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

is is doing great really, I told him about a local taco place that has the best tacos I have ever had (and I lived in AZ and Cali for a number of years) and ran into him at a local BBQ joint. he is taller than me but were about the same built but we both love the food and talk about good local places to eat (there are literally hundreds here in Charleston)

i can see where Kenji would get some glances from the soccer moms! Most the comments I hear are "oh, he is the cute one" then again I think half the girls that go up to our pub in the stadium after the games are there to take a look at the players.

I have everything to make a Yoshi two stick and will try to get it done this weekend. our next game isnt until next week (Tuesday Aug 11) you can watch the game live online for free, and can watch all the past games as well on www.usllive.com you have to register but it only takes a minute. I know Yoshi has a goal of the week clip on there.

20. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I'll undoubtedly get a bit of stick for this but here goes anyway.

Koki started against Sunderland today. I'm a Koki fan as I have often said on here but he isn't helping his chances of first team selection with some insipid friendly displays. I understand it's hard to perform to order but the chances are passing him by and he isn't taking them at the minute.

He struggled to make any impact on the game today. Neither did many of the other players in the first half you would be justified, to an extent, in saying. But players like Caddis and Fox did manage to put in a reasonably good display.

I still hope Koki can be a part of the first team but he seems to have a struggle on his hands at the minute. :(

21. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Honestly, for what I have seen (not much, to be honest), Mizuno does not seem to me material for a top European team... he might do well for example in an average French club or so, but Celtic is something for big boys...
    I wish him all the best, but it ain't going to be easy...

22. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Wow, what a funny coincidence. You regard Kenji Treschuk as Japanese, and I am writing an article about his Ukrainian roots (the surname is clearly Ukrainian).

What info do you have about this guy? I am using the wikipedia article and some of his interviews that I googled.

23. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

He is Hawaiian, mom is Japanese, dad clearly of Eastern European origins. You can try to contact him through his club, he is a nice chap.

(I will answer your kind mail when I return to Kyoto next week, now I am traveling and can read email, but not reply due to a server problem...)

24. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would highly suggest contacting the club. I've written several articles on the club and players and they are very accommidating. I would try emailing Andrew Bell at andrew.bell@charlestonbattery.com, tell him what you want to do (either by email or telephone) and they will set you up.

And Kenji is a great guy, if I can help you out let me know.

goru_no_ura,

I made a quick banner with the kantanka style "Yoshi" like you suggested, I'll take a picture of it and show you cause I want to make sure I did the "shi" character correctly!

25. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I'm off trekking and onsen'ing for two days, but I am sure you did it right, and in any case others here can give advice...