Japanese Abroad 2008/09 [R] - Part I

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by shuvy87, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Japanese Abroad 2008/09 [R]

Time to come home, Daisuke... :)

2. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

Its sad that god given talent was wasted, I still didn't understand why the hell Zico left him out of the JNT in 2006.

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Completely off topic but i'm currently watching Arsenal/Porto and who should get subbed in but the Incredible Hulk, and as soon as i write that he takes a dive...

4. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia

Arsenal were so good in that match. Amazing football. I would LOVE for Wenger to have a go with the NT after he's done at Arsenal, which will probably be never. :(

How did Naka go against Villareal, I watched the first 20 minutes and he had some nice touches...

5. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Celtic were classed off the field after 20m ... there wasn't much to see after that.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'm curious as to how Nagoya played when Wenger managed them, as he was there way before i started watching the J-league.

7. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

For good soccer at a high level, there is nothing as good as Wenger's Arsenal.
    I'd chip in a 10,000 yen for him to be japan NT's coach.

8. bomberhead

bomberhead New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia

I second that. I actually think it COULD be possible, but probably not for another 3 or 4 years. Or until Arsenal actually win something. :rolleyes:

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Aw, Wenger will have the same age as Osim by then... ;)

10. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I've never heard him talk about his time in Japan if he really liked it or not.
    But that would be the biggest coup in manager history for Japan if we could ever pull it off.

11. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Well at least Hasebe is getting time in UEFA Cup. Played the full 90 for a 1-1 draw at Rapid Bucarest.

12. Robin777-redded

Robin777-redded Red Card

Apr 7, 2008

Hasebe has started in 5 consecutive games since the international duty.
    He is OK.

13. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

The last couple of games I've watched him he looks pretty average. Gets the job done I guess.

Watching St Etienne now... I can't help but feel they'd be a lot better with Matsui. I know he's still injured. But the left side of midfield is like a black hole. And as I type this ... Dernis actually does something decent. Damnit.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Norf London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

WATCH IT!!! :mad:

15. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Naka playing a blinder so far today. Halfway through and he's got a goal and an assist, 2-0 at HT.

Ina also got the start for Frankfurt, but I haven't found a working stream for it.

16. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

what's up with Ono,Matsui,Hasebe and Inamoto all having to sit at the bench? i guess Ono should be more than good enough for Bochum, and Matsui....it's a disgrace he doesn't start...

17. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Anyone heard of Suguru Hashimoto? he's at Vejle Boldklub in Denmark. He's played 4 matches for them only, so not the biggest success. Was at Albirex Singapore before. Now he's on his way out of the club, and either he will go back to Japan or try to find another club in Denmark / Scandinavia ( lower league).
    http://vejle-boldklub.dk/statistik-spillernavn.asp?Spillere=Suguru Hashimoto

18. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think Ono is partially down to health. At least that was when he lost his spot. Inamoto seems to be more of a squad player lately, not sure what the story really is. Hasebe has played most of the season, and when he doesn't start he usually gets subbed in.
    Matsui just makes no sense. The LM I saw them play with last week (name started with a D) was pretty terrible... Matsui would definitely be an improvement.

19. ilikekazu-redded

ilikekazu-redded Red Card

Oct 2, 2008
    Okinawa/Tokyo

Ono's career was over during the Feyenoord days.
    How many times has he played 90 minutes since he returned to Urawa in 2006?
    So sad to see him suffer from repeated injuries.
    He can't play soccer anymore!

20. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I've seen Ono in 2-3 matches this season and i'm afraid to say his not the man we saw in his debut when he had 2 assist. I don't really know what has happend to him, he is loosing balls, can't even seem to get a nice pass these days.

And i believe the Bochum fans patience is soon out.

21. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Strange how so many Japanese talents do peak at a certain age, then vanish.

Besides Ono, it happened to Nakata, Nanami, Jo and Maezono, perhaps now to Takahara, Oguro and Matsui too...?

What do you think of Nakamura? Still at his top or declining?

Some thought it happened to Yanagisawa as well, but this season he's doing OK. Maybe they should all come to Sanga? :D

Besides the jokes, a worrysome trend. None of those mentioned above made it into their 30es as a top-player. Compare, for example, with Del Piero, who won the Serie A top-scorer title at 34........

22. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I am a big fans of Matsui, but he has his negative trends at times. His last season at Sanga was really disturbing. At Le Mans too he had his hi's and low's, but surely it is painful to know he's not playing.

23. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Ono is all down to injury... his knees are just gone and it's got to be difficult to keep your motivation at a high level after suffering so many injuries and battling for a place in Germany.
    Nakata just lost motivation I think. His comments in England, about how silly he thinks football fans are... was kind of telling. He retired soon after, obviously his heart wasn't in it anymore and he wanted to move on.
    I think Shunsuke has lost a step since being out for a couple months last year. He seems to get forward a lot less, and his curling freekicks haven't seemed to be quite as deadly either -- you either see them very well placed with little speed or off target. I think he's developed more into a deep-lying playmaker in the last year. He's even starting to tackle more and more every game.

Maybe it's a lifetime fitness thing. Or maybe it's just very hard to get a European team to give you a run of games at that age and thousands of miles away from home. At some point they're bound to experience burnout.
    On the flipside, you have players like Yanagi who have resurrected their careers in Japan -- and plenty of old men still making impacts as well. How old is Urawas' Yamada ?

Getting back to another international -- Mizuno played a crap friendly on Tuesday against Derry City. (The friendly was part of Celtics' deal to buy McCourt... a joint money making venture.) Anyway, I fear it's time for him to move on. He didn't seem the same player... not getting a game is hurting him I think.

24. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Why not playing for Sendai or Yamagata, then?
    How can he succeed in Germany if he's not fit??

Well, call that gratitude. Soccer fans made him a millionaire in his twenties... Sure he was a great player in his days, but I think he chickened away before giving back to Japanese soccer a lot of what he's got from his audience there. Retiring at 29 is unheard of.
    (Sorry Shuvy...)

...not in a major club, thou... At Antlers he struggled, thus the move to Kyoto, where he is cuddled as a prince, and he can perform with no stress. perhaps others should follow his example, and move to less demanding clubs, where they will be loved and can play their soccer.

In a way, Kazu ended up like that, and he's still playing at 41.

25. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think Ono could make an impact at a midtable J1 club... a SPulse, Kyoto, Marinos type team. But you can't fault the man for trying. I feel the same about Ina -- he could have had a much more flashy career in Japan, but he's wanted to test himself overseas. I wish Kengo or Endo had made the jump at some point.

I think you've hit the head on playing time. It's very difficult to resurrect your career while trying to fight for a start... it's just a losing battle. Takahara, who got a fair run of games, is a perfect example. If you're running out and not doing it... and keep getting "undeserved" chances there is just more pressure added on.

I'm from the Nakata-overated crowd, so I'm not even going to get into that one. OK, I will a little... he's the Beckham of Japan. On the MLS boards I once suggested Beckham should take a career tip from Hide and just give in to his true calling. :D