Japan Vs Australia, 12 June 06 (World Cup) [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Acidman, Jun 5, 2006.

1. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    http://germany2006.nikkansports.com/local/f-sc-tp5-20060614-0060.html
    (in Japanese)

referee still says Japan's goal was valid. also praised Japan for their sportsmanship.
    so it means Hiddink was talking out of his ass when he said the ref admitted he made a mistake, and people accusing Japan of diving have no clue what they are talking about.

Pisses me off that Zico is such an idiot and let liar Hiddink win with his obvious tactics.

2. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    meanwhile you proved one thing: you are a loser troll that is bored and has been bored for a couple years since China couldn't even make the final round of qualifying.

3. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The funniest part about this post is that it's coming out of a Chinese poster. With all that match fixing allegation, you should not be talking.

4. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Can any one of you guys give me a little more information on the whole confrontation with Hiddink and the Japanese medic? :confused: I had no idea what was involved in him shoving him like that, but it was certainly not a good thing to see. He should have never physically responded like that, no matter what the situation.

Any info on that would be great (even a Japanese source if there is, since I can read it).

5. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Nothing stupider than getting worked up and taking things so personally on an internet forum. When you resort to juvenile name-calling you just end up looking like someone with a fragile ego.

Let me just say that as a Korean fan, I was pulling for both Japan and Australia as underdogs. At the same time I'm a big Hiddink fan while my feelings for most things Japanese have been expressed many times on Bigsoccer in the past.

Having said that I have to still stick by my opinion that Japan the better team out there but were out-witted by Hiddink and out-hearted by Australia. Australia started out better but things were pretty even until the goal after which Japan was running circles around an Australian team shocked by the ref mistake. Japan was denying passing lanes down the flanks and Australia was forced to play hail mary longballs.

This happened over and over and over again for most of second half so I'm really not sure why you're denying this. Australia had no answer for the Japanese midfield dominance at this point. Things changed only when Japan subbed in midfielder for a striker, forfeited the midfield and bunkered down to defend their 1 goal lead. Hiddink on the other hand subbed in strikers for midfielder to take advantage of the open midfield.

I watched the whole game. It was very entertaining and I enjoyed it very much. But the above is my opinon.

As for the article, it does not say that Hiddink was furious at Japanese diving like pansies from what you posted. The article clearly explains Hiddink was furious at not being allowed to view the replay after a diving accusation. The first sentence is, "The officials blocked Hiddink from watching the replay of the foul on Mark Schwarzer, leaving the coach furious." THe rest of the article explains what happened. Pretty straight forward. There was also a mention of the Japanese accusation that Australia were a dirty team but nothing about Hiddink being furious at Japanese diving. Are there portions of the article that you didn't post here?

6. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

You have a twisted sense of humor then because I don't find that funny. There're people out there, Chinese or not, who think that goal by Japan was questionalbe, including Japanese posters and the ref. I don't agree with these people and I'm Chinese too so why are you taking shots at all Chinese just because one person who happens to be Chinese sees it that way.

And even if what you're saying about China were true, your logic is stupid at best. There're now allegations about Japan bribing the ref, using your logic, then why is a "Japanese" poster such as you talking?

7. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Good post.I agree that treating one troll as a representative of one nation won't do any good for this forum.

personally,although I'm a Japanese,I think the first goal shouldn't have been allowed.

8. wrecklesssoldier

Feb 20, 2005
    Brazil and Croatia will most likely be the teams to go to the round of 16... I dont think Japan has the class or skill these two teams have... Australia might have a slight chance but I highly doubt it.

9. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes it was questionable and even I thought that we were lucky to get that one. However, that does not mean that Japanese NT were there to cheat to win this game. After the incident the goal was granted so Japan took it.

If you were Takahara or Yanagisawa playing for Japan, are you going to tell the ref that "oh... sorry I fouled the GK, so don't count that goal"? They were there to head the ball, but accidentally bumped in to GK and ball rolled in and ref did not make the right call.

Calling Japanese cheater, because of this incident is not a good logic either. Plus don't forget that there was PK call that ref did not call for Japan.

10. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Shuvy I don't disagree with you on the merits of the goal, nor do I think Japan cheated. But that's only my personal opinion, just like the personal opinion of another Chinese poster.

What I disagree with is your bad logic and the way you took shot at all Chinese. If you haven't noticed, there're three Chinese posters on this thread. Two of them (me and TOLH) actually want to see Japan win this game.

Alright don't want to hijack this thread. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

11. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  12. Spherical

Spherical New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    One thing that's bothering me is that Australian papers are praising their
    victory like fanatics WHILE calling Japan names and declaring the first goal by
    Japan as a "disgraceful act by Egyptian refree". This I read on Japanese
    newspapers, so it may be blown out of proportion.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20060613-00000069-kyodo-spo

I have also read (again in Japanese newspapers) that Australian players
    claimed that Egyptian refree admitted that Japan's goal was a foul and that
    he was glad Australia won "to serve justice".
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/wcup2006/news/20060613i102.htm?from=main1
    http://www.daily.co.jp/soccer/2006/06/14/0000050917.shtml

Then (AGAIN in Japanese newspapers) I read the Egyptian refree denying
    Australian players' claims and saying he actually TOLD Australian players
    "It was a valid goal, end of story." immedeately after the goal. He even
    claimed that he was impressed by the respectful attitude of Japan team.
    http://germany2006.nikkansports.com/local/f-sc-tp5-20060614-0060.html

THEN there is another Japanese newspaper that says FIFA admitted that
    Japan should have been granted a PK near the end of game when Komano
    was fouled.
    http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/hl?c=sports&d=20060615&a=20060615-00000009-kyodo-spo

I don't know what is true anymore. I'm trying to find non-Japanese sources
    right now to get a neutral perspective.
    I don't expect, nor wish, for Australia's victory to be revoked or questioned.
    Japan lost, and that's that.
    What I don't get is this:
    Are Japanese newspapers getting desparate and making up stuff about what
    Australian papers are saying?
    Are Australian players making up stuffs that the Egyptian refree never said?
    Is the Egyptian refree switching claims left and right to save his butt?
    Is FIFA trying to appease Japan "the sweetheart (money)" by bringing up the
    PK issue?
    Or could it even be that Japan is bribing someone (whether it be the refree or
    FIFA) in hopes of reversing the result of the game?

I'm getting paranoid here, when I should be waiting for Japan-Croatia match.
    The thing I worry the most, though, is that there will be a bad blood between
    Japan and Australia soccer now. Sigh.

13. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sorry, I got carried way by emotion from a very shocking loss and having a hard time recovering from it.

It is not like me to make such comments... it was unprofessional as a mod and I will be careful next time.

14. mauro_

mauro_ New Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bs As, Argentina
    close this topic already and let's talk about the next match
    time to move on!
    cya

15. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So no Chinese blame zixuanowen. But chinese blame shuvy. zixuanowen will be happiest.
    Yeah he is mod and I also said things which offend Chinese, I am sorry about this. but I still think dreamer can do better way ,like just PM shuvy instead of blaming on the forum ,especially now many troller are coming here after loss.

16. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  17. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    Well, hindsight is 20/20 they say. We've had several of these "should be PK"'s already in this WC. Nothing too surprising nor alarming.

18. Spherical

Spherical New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Thank you. So at least one part of this incident is not a made-up by
    Japanese papers.
    Looking at the BigSoccer forums, I find it sad that bad blood between Japan
    soccer fans and Australia soccer fans seems likely from now on... I hope I'm just being paranoid.

19. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    There would only have been "bad blood" from the Australian point of view if we had lost due to a goal that should have been disallowed due to obstruction. As it stands, we got the result we deserved in the end, so we are happy.

You say we played "dirty". (We didn't)
    We say you you "cheated". (You didn't)
    If anything, we all had cause to resent the referee at various stages. I reckon he put in an ordinary display.

Good luck to Japan for the rest of the tournament.

20. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Sorry for choosing your post as the one to respond to, but Ive seen this comment about the "dirty" remarks over and over (obviously not just on this thread), and wonder what people would say if they knew that the "quote" was simply made up by a journalist in Europe, to try and stir up controversy?

I still have not received a reply to my e-mail to the JFA, for confirmation, but a thorough search of Japanese news media shows that no such quote from Kawabuchi was ever reported, as far as I can locate.

I did locate a few comments where he said something along the lines of "Australia plays with a lot of physical impetus (ikioi) and used their physical strength to get an upset against Holland. Japan need to watch out for this".

It should go without saying that Kawabuchi never used the word "dirty". Do you people really need *ME* to point out the fact that he doesnt speak good enough English to do an interview with a foreign reporter in the first place?

I am still trying to track down the origin of the story, and if the JFA tells me he never said something in Japanese that could be translated as "Australia play dirty", I may even threaten some of the big European newspapers with a libel suit unless they tell me where they got the quote from. I already have strong suspicions already about who it might be.

Anyway, what Im trying to say is, has anyone on this board ever seen a comment reported in a JAPANESE NEWS SOURCE which carries such a quote from Kawabuchi? If not, you can take it as a highly likely probability that this "quote" was just invented as a way of firing up the Australians, and hopefully getting them to raise their level of play. Please note, Im not putting down Australia at all; personally I thought Japan played like crap and deserved to lose.

But this whole deal about "You called us dirty players":
    First of all, *WE* didnt do anything of the sort. Even if Kawabuchi did, he was speaking for himself, and not all Japanese fans.

But more importantly, based on the evidence I have been able to find so far, it looks like Kawabuchi never made such a statement in the first place.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

21. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Everyone ccksucker that is not fcking blind could see that Japan should've had an penalty, the defender were on Komano really rough but Komano choosed not to fall, every other player would've falled and rolled 3 metres.
    (Not mentioning any names, ccksuckers know who you are)
    I respect Komano for standing on his feet , after that the real incident occured , Komano were tackled really tough, definetely a penalty.

22. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    I get your drift but to be fair just because the JFA hasn't responded to your email and just because you haven't been able to confirm the sources for Kawabuchi's quote doesn't mean that the European reports of the original comment is incorrect or non-existent, at least from what you've stated.

23. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    I don't mean to speak on his behalf, but purely from reading that post he made, it's clear to me that Matsu has left PLENTY of wiggle room. He has deliberately avoided making a definitive conclusion because, as he says, he's still looking into it. In other words, he has already covered (indirectly) what you're pointing out.

Still, a fascinating story. I hope there'll be some development.

24. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    I still have some wiggle room left, but I will pin the story down a bit more completely.

The JFA response was rather long and carefully worded (they probably are afraid that I am another European reporter and dont want to get burned again), but essentially it says the following:

- Kawabuchi gave no interviews in English (yeah, I alrady figured that one out)
    - We did not provide an English transcript of any interviews to the press.
    - Kawabuchi made some comments about physical play to the Japanese press, but never intended them to sound offensive
    - Translation errors happen, and we arent going to crucify anyone for misrepresenting the gist of his comments. It could be an "honest mistake"
    - This is water under the bridge. We are not interested in making any further comment, on the record.

So in other words, it looks like the quote WAS, essentially, manufactured by some reporter in Europe. It might be an honest error or it might be a deliberate and cynical effort to make Kawabuchi (and by extension, every Japanese fan) look bad.

. . . Of course, since I already considered European sports journalists to be somewhere on the spectrum of life forms between compost maggots and septic tank fungus (based on the number of times that they have openly stolen reports from the RSN and printed them under their own bylines), this doesnt really affect my opinions one way or another. Since the JFA doesnt want to pursue it further, I wont create trouble for them by pursuing it any further myself. Still, take this information as you will, and feel free to quote me the next time an Australian accuses Japanese fans of calling them "dirty players".

:( :( :(

25. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Hmmm, a mistranslation at best or deliberate spin at worst. This wouldn't be the first time the media misquoted a player and caused a ruckus (read:Ahn Jung Hwan). Thanks for clarifying, Matsu.