Japan @ Asian Cup 2019

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Dax, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamban98

gamban98 Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It was an ugly win but please keep in mind that Japan had to play without Osako (and Nakajima).

Interesting stats.

GunnerTNB and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  2. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    We all miss Endo....at least I do...and Hasebe.....he got better with age.

gandychan and Kakeru repped this.
  3. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Very very interesting stats indeed.

4. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Shibasaki not happy at "park the buss" and defend technique:

https://web.gekisaka.jp/news/amp/?264687-264687-fl

If my understanding is correct, he hopes that such experience will not be repeated.
    He further stressed that: "this technique is acceptable when playing against a stronger opponent [on paper], with all due respect to Saudi and their perception as one of Asia's strong teams, but they are not stronger than Japan".

seolseol and YakYak repped this.
  5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Very interesting indeed. I don't think Moriyasu is a moron, he knows full well Japan has no need to play defensive against any team in Asia. They should be going every game to own possession.

This is why I'm thinking this is something to come out of the FIFA World Cup debacle.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  6. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree with Shibasaki. If there is really a need to "experiment" defensive play style, the upcoming Copa America is a better place for that with far better opponents.

Whispered11, AKITOD, seolseol and 3 others repped this.
  7. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    this defensive style just shows moriyasu is out of his depth imho. i don’t think he has any idea how to close out a match except for parking the bus.

the above doesn’t help when as others have mentioned the front three players can barely string two passes together.

tactically so inflexible. and why did he wait an eternity to make his substitutions?! saudi were running around them like training cones in the last 15 and moriyasu just stands up watching an exhausted minamino, doan and muto.

his lack of trust (and ability) in his bench is worrying. in 2011 ac tadanari lee, masahiko inoha and iwamasa played game winning cameos. at this stage only ito looks like doing anything.

8. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #233 HTCONEM8, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    I guess we're in for a bumpy ride from now until WC 2022 unless a major disappointment happens and Moriyasu gets the axe.

9. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, I already wrote earlier about my thoughts on the subject. There are multiple ways to defend a lead, and using a proactive approach instead of a typical "park the bus" approach is as beautiful as you can ask because it shows a good amount of strength and confidence.

When I used the example about France choking the life out of Uruguay in the quarterfinals of the last World Cup, I always felt that it was the masterclass canvas that Japan had to build upon following the World Cup debacle. The French were hunting the Uruguayans like hungry dogs on raw meat, and then they proceeded with good ball control and counterattacks to frustrate the opposition even further. Japan can make defending look beautiful and yet not stiffle their own strengths if they are proactive at defending.

That being said, Moriyasu needs to answer the questions as to how and why his team cannot play better by using what most "modern" managers teach these days.

+PL+, Samurai Warrior and HTCONEM8 repped this.
  10. YakYak

YakYak Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm really looking forward to the Copa America. Even if they end up experimenting a little and get spanked it'll be a good experience.

11. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Copa America is coming.

YakYak repped this.
  12. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Many good posts and thoughts. I think its hard to tell whats really wrong, so many dissapointments from different players, some of them can maybe blame it on their club situation but then they should show their best side in this tournament to attract interest, but no. Big fail. Minamino and Doan should shine but also dissapears.

Kakeru and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  13. beetleking66

beetleking66 Member

liverpool
    Iraq
    Jan 18, 2019
    Its very interesting that Vietnam can potentially beat Japan but they got very tired at Jordan match. Japan played defensive game and beat Saudi Arabia in 90 minute. This energy saving will benefit Japan a lot in next match.

14. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    was aoyama under an injury cloud even before the first game? kazuyuki toda mentioned aoyama didn’t look very good in training before they left the country. waste of a roster spot if that is the case.

seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  15. yanagibashi

yanagibashi Member

Eintracht Braunschweig
    Japan
    Jan 3, 2018
    i was initially hoping for that too but they looked exhausted running in defence for 90 minutes so i think they cancel each other out.

osako is crucial. personally i would like ito starting for doan.

16. yudum

yudum Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    FYI, Sanfrecce under Moriyasu is remembered as the most unspectacular J-League champions ever. The league suffered from a decline in attendance during their dynasty. He plays boring football but gets results. Japan can do better in offense though. The absence of Osako and Nakajima has been a big blow. Doan, Muto and Minamino are good players but they aren't that good at holding the ball.

seolseol, Samurai Warrior and gamban98 repped this.
  17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Japan has looked far from convincing but they have also managed to win without looking like they are sweating too much. But if Iran and Japan do make it to the semifinal, I am confident Japan will need to do better to get past Iran. Of course, neither side can take anything for granted against Vietnam or China, but for now, it does appear that two sides are destined to meet in the semifinals of this Asian Cup. Hopefully it will be a good game where the better team (hopefully Iran) wins:)

+PL+ and rougou repped this.
  18. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Are you referring to the Belgium match or Poland match? Like I said I don't think Japan did that much wrong against Belgium, besides taking the final corner too quickly. They were unlucky with Belgium's fluke first goal to get them back in the match (not to take anything away from Belgium, who have the individual quality to score anyway).
    For me the match against Poland was alarming, because they had no idea how to play defensively without literally passing the ball among their defenders, making themselves look like losers in the process.

Samurai Warrior and gamban98 repped this.
  19. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm hoping to see Japan vs Iran as well, even if both teams play defensively. I don't think they've met in a competitive match since 2005, if this is correct.
    https://www.11v11.com/teams/iran/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Japan/

20. gamban98

gamban98 Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tomiyasu broke Doan's record for the youngest Japanese goalscorer in the history of the Asian Cup. I wonder where he will go next summer. Teams like Lazio have already shown an interest in him.

Top 5
    Tomiyasu - 20 years 77 days vs Saudi Arabia (2019)
    Doan - 20 years 207 days vs Turkmenistan (2019)
    Ono - 21 years 17 days vs Saudi Arabia (2000)
    Takahara - 21 years 132 days vs Saudi Arabia (2000)
    Kagawa - 21 years 310 days vs Qatar (2011)

GunnerTNB, seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  21. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would say Japan against Poland in WC is the way they look now. Wich is troubling.

22. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind that Japan accomplished their objectives - to progress while rotating the lineup - against Poland. In that sense the team successfully carried out the coach's game plan against Saudi Arabia as well, as evidenced by the relatively positive comments from the players. The execution was a bit extreme but it's obvious that Moriyasu doesn't give a rat's ass about aesthetics.

Grinding out results with mind-numbingly boring football....hmm I guess the JFA has some consistent direction after all?

23. Yasukuni_God

Yasukuni_God Red Card

Jun 4, 2018
    Read Haraguchi's comment. They were very cautious of the biased refereeing.
    https://www.sanspo.com/soccer/news/20190122/jpn19012202030002-n1.html

What can you expect from Japan when they get a ********ing retarded referee like yesterday? The Saudis got every 50-50 call from the refs.

I know this continent is full of third worlders but still the level of corruption is incredible.

Watch this stupid red in the 2004 AC semi-final. We had to play the remaining 50 minutes + 30 minutes in extra time with 10-men. Asia hasn't improved at all since then.

24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irmatov is probably the most widely respected Asian referee. He was overly strict with the whistle yesterday inhibiting Japan's willingness to go into tackles.

Good news is that Osako is back in full training, reportedly looking sharp in shooting drills.

25. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    No the fact that Japan has never ever been a team that I can recall closing down a game well. I think these tactics are from the JFA's technical committee possibly, or possibly they picked Moriyasu for this reason. I'm not against this by the way.

The exception was the Cameroon 1-0 win in 2010 in my memory but that team was built up to be strong in defence regardless of tactical situation due to the 4-1-4-1.

teioh and Samurai Warrior repped this.