News: January USWNT camp

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Jan 11, 2011.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other thread is a train wreck. People (like me) interested in camp info and discussion can only navigate around the off-topic stuff w/ difficulty. And re-hashing freaking 3 year old crap? It's almost enough to make a person want to walk away from the board.

Please folks, can we keep this thread free of the extraneous matter that seems to start infecting every thread around here. Pretty please?

What do we know so far about the Camp? This is what I was able to figure out. I'd love to hear what other camp info people find. Or tidbits about the training the vets not at camp but going to China are doing...like if you happen to run into HAO or Abby at the gym.

Keepers:
    1) Loyden broke her hand.
    2) Solo is there and rehab seems to be on schedule.
    3) Barny wants a bear for a pet

Field players:
    1) O'Hara set a beep test record. I missed the part where the team is doing a different type of beep test now than they have been doing previously. That switch could, in and of itself, be an interesting discussion topic if we knew enough about the old & new versions to compare (and the current scholarship on what the two tests offer/show)
    2) Buehler & Boxx showed up for some training sessions. Since they were in town and all.
    3) Apparently Tarpley did well in the finishing drill. She's always had a knack...

Coaches:
    1) Hey, look Mark Krikorian.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    As far as I know, the main difference in the beep test is how it is timed. It used to be on tape, which stretched, or on CD, which had to be calibrated. Now most timing is done on a laptop which is more accurate.(1/200th of a second) The results are also automatically entered on a spreadsheet for analysis, which reduces error and makes administering the test easier.

http://www.rugbycoach.com/index.php....topendsports.com/testing/beep-variations.htm

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this WNT blog entry the format of the two beep tests is different -- not just a timing difference. The new test allows a brief rest period & start/stop btwn runs. The old test just had players keep going up (down? through?) the shuttle.

Article about Heath and being healthy (knock wood) again

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hear Marcia McDermott may be out there as well helping coach.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    interesting. it seems like a totally different test than the traditional Beep test.

for the last several years, I have run tests like this for the kids in my neighborhood at a 4th of July get-together. I wears the kids out, which is good for everyone ;) It started as a test for running speed as related to leg length, (Alexander's formula http://www.sorbygeology.group.shef.ac.uk/DINOC01/dinocal1.html ) with interesting results. Kids at different stages of development could compete with each other. The kids loved it. Each year since, they ask for another test and I change it up each year. last year it was the Beep test. Now I have a new test for them.

Dinner should be a lot calmer.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I wonder if she's interested in going back to coaching. When she left the Courage (just prior to the WUSA folding) she said she wanted to do something different. And being a GM is different. She's a good coach (imo).

7. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    The "traditional" test is the endurance beep--no rest between beeps. It seems they are running the intermittent recovery test now which is actually not all that uncommon, at least not in the US.

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Or maybe that she may be going to China. One of those two.

The NSCAA convention is going on in the next few days and she's the president.

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently there were some spectators at the 2 scrimmages last night. I hope some of them pop in here and post what they observed. There were two games vs boys teams and one finished 2-0 and the other 6-3.

10. snipoppers16

snipoppers16 New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Chicago
    I had a friend tweeting from the scrimmage last night. She didn't make it to the first game but was there for the second, which was mostly a younger group.

Some highlights:

-Morgan had several goals, I believe. One on a header.
    -Cheney scored.
    -Jordan Angela scored off of a Megan Rapinoe corner and apparently Pia loved it.
    -Mitts went down and left the scrimmage with about ten minutes to go.
    -Lohman failed to impress.
    -Mewis scored on a rocket of a shot that was pretty impressive.
    -Both Harris and Naeher got minutes. Naeher played in both matches. Not sure if Harris played in both.
    -Harris was playing out of the box and got caught up when a forward kicked it at the same time. Harris was able to slide to stop the shot and get up to save the rebound, which a defender collected and carried away from goal.
    -Klingenberg and Engen played in the first match.

Her Final thoughts:
    The first group did a better job of moving the ball and switching the point of attack. The second group did a lot more attacking. The score of each match, 3-0 and 6-4 respectively, reflects this.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the re-cap. Repped.

So this means Mitts & Lohman will be heading to China, right? I was going to use a who could have predicted Mitts getting injured joke. Apparently I prefer to be mean to two players & our coach--not just one

More seriously, Harris's kicking game has been a tad inconsistent as long as I've watched her play. And while she's not Jeni Branam adventurous, she'll play the high line.

12. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    this is great info! No surprise the underclassmen are performing well.
    Do we know who was on what team?

13. fanaticdefutbol8

fanaticdefutbol8 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    U.S. Women’s National Team Roster by Position - Detailed Roster
    2011 Four Nations Tournament
    Chongqing, China
    Jan. 21-25, 2011
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Nicole Barnhart (out of contract), Ashlyn Harris (Western New York Flash)
    DEFENDERS (7): Rachel Buehler (Boston Breakers), Stephanie Cox (Boston Breakers), Amy LePeilbet (Boston Breakers), Heather Mitts (out of contract), Christie Rampone (out of contract) Becky Sauerbrunn (Washington Freedom), Brittany Taylor (Sky Blue FC)
    MIDFIELDERS (10): Yael Averbuch (Western New York Flash), Shannon Boxx (out of contract), Tobin Heath (Sky Blue FC), Meghan Klingenberg (North Carolina), Lori Lindsey (Philadelphia Independence), Carli Lloyd (Atlanta Beat), Kelley O’Hara (Boston Breakers), Heather O’Reilly (Sky Blue FC), Megan Rapinoe (Philadelphia Independence), Lindsay Tarpley (out of contract)
    FORWARDS (4): Lauren Cheney (Boston Breakers), Sydney Leroux (UCLA), Alex Morgan (California), Amy Rodriguez (Philadelphia Independence

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Very interesting. I'm going to make a new thread, if that's ok w/ folks. So that we have a 4 nations thread.

15. snipoppers16

snipoppers16 New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Chicago
    Hmmm. More like Siri Mullinix?