January 2017 USWNT Camp

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by PacmanJr_00, Jan 5, 2017.

1. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rose in the house!!!!, as well as the next wave of goalkeepers.

U.S. Women's National Team Roster:
    GOALKEEPERS (4): *Jane Campbell (Stanford Univ.), *Adrianna Franch (Portland Thorns), Ashlyn Harris (Orlando Pride), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars)
    DEFENDERS (7): Jaelene Hinkle (Western New York Flash), Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Ali Krieger (Orlando Pride), Kelley O'Hara (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City), Casey Short (Chicago Red Stars), Emily Sonnett (Portland Thorns)
    MIDFIELDERS (11): Morgan Brian (Houston Dash), *Kristen Edmonds (Orlando Pride), *Christina Gibbons (Duke Univ.), Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns), Lindsey Horan (Portland Thorns), *Rose Lavelle (Univ. of Wisconsin), Carli Lloyd (Houston Dash), Allie Long (Portland Thorns), Samantha Mewis (Western New York Flash), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign), *Taylor Smith (Western New York Flash)
    FORWARDS (7): Crystal Dunn (Chelsea Ladies FC, ENG), Jessica McDonald (Western New York Flash), Alex Morgan (Lyon, FRA), Kealia Ohai (Houston Dash), Christen Press (Chicago Red Stars), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Lynn Williams (Western New York Flash).
    *Uncapped players.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Morgan Andrews didn't get a call up to the full WNT after Andi Sullivan's injury.
    I thought she'd make a very nice replacement.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The real eye opener is Taylor Smith. Doesn't get drafted. Plays mostly as a reserve for WNY with only 5 starts and now she is getting a look on the NT.

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree; the biggest surprise to me is Smith. Its not that she isn't a good player, but I can think of several players who I thought would be called up from the past NWSL season before Smith.

The other surprise is that there doesn't seem to be any friendly game attached to this camp. There is a FIFA window from Jan. 16-24, so its a bit of a surprise that the WNT will not be playing a match then.

Dundalk24 and jnielsen repped this.
  5. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning the NWSL championship sure helped; 5 Flash players on this roster. Also, there are 5 Thorns, 4 Red Stars, and 2 former Spirit players. NWSL final four teams are pretty well represented; they account for more than half the roster.

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 MiLLeNNiuM, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Some quotes from Jill Ellis regarding this camp.

7. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA...

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WNY Flash --> #11 Taylor Smith

Position: F
    Date of Birth: 12/01/1993
    Height: 5' 3"
    College Experience: UCLA
    Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas

Biography:
    International
    Has represented Team USA on the U-14, U-18, U-20, and U-23 teams … 2015: Scored game-winning goal against England to help the Team USA U-23’s win the Four Nations Tournament.

College
    Played at UCLA for four seasons … Started 80 games for the Bruins, scoring 27 goals and 22 assists in 4 seasons … 2015:Played and started in 14 games … Scored 2 goals and 2 assists …2014: Started all 24 games for the Bruins and was second on the team in goals scored with 9 … 2013: Scored 8 goals and had 11 assists during UCLA’s National Championship season … Played in all 26 games and started 25 … First team All-Pac12 selection …2012: Played in all 23 games and started the final 17 games … Ranked second on the team in goals with 8.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Then why no Sarah Killian? Killian not only makes sense as a #6 who can pass but maybe also in Allie Longs role as a quasi CB who can start the attack.

10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sky Blue --> #14 Sarah Killion
    • Kick-off: July 27, 1992
    • Hometown: Fort Wayne, Indiana
    • Position: Midfielder
    BIO:
    Former UCLA midfielder Sarah Killion was selected No. 2 overall by Sky Blue FC in the 2015 NWSL College Draft. The playmaking midfielder started 77 matches over 88 total appearances during her collegiate career at UCLA, having her best campaign this past fall as a senior, registering 30 points on nine goals and 12 assists while taking 45 shots. All marks were career highs, with the 12 assists matching her 2013 tally and equaling a school record. The 2014 NSCAA 3rd Team All-American was also selected to Top Drawer Soccer’s Best XI and named to her third consecutive All-Pac-12 Team in 2014. On the international level, Killion played for the U.S. U-18 Women’s National Team and started for a U-20 side that won the FIFA World Championship in 2012. The crafty midfielder then made the next step in her career by being selected to the U.S. U-23 National Team, which won the 2013 Four Nations Tournament. In 2014, Killion received her first call-up to the full U.S. Women’s National Team.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That was under Sermanni

12. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Mixed feelings about Lavelle. She had a very poor college season up until the last couple of games. I think Andrews offers more and carried her team to a national championship. Lavelle is my type of player in that she is more creative than most, but I don't know if she can manage the physicality of the highest level. Andrews seems to be kind of dissed by US soccer. wonder what that is all about.

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Andrews was called into the U23 camp for January. She still seems to be digging herself out of the doghouse with US Soccer. Extremely talented but previous speculation is she needs to work on her team skills

14. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Rose was Midfielder of the year in the B10 again and Second team AA, leading UW in points.
    She did not played poorly at all this season. When I watched the team play, which was only 4 times..but through-out the course of the season, what stood out to me was the inability to get the ball to Rose. She simply never got the ball and was asked to do too much and was marked every single game.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I told this on a thread here before.

About a year or so ago the Chicago Red Stars went up to University of Wisconsin to play the Badgers in an exhibition game. I went to watch it. IMO, Rose Lavelle was the best layer on the field that game. She was smooth as silk with her dribbling and pin-point passing. She wasn't at all intimidated by the pros and was very comfortable.
    That was the first time I saw her play and was truly amazed.

16. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    two year ago she was every bit as good as Horan and Pugh in the u20 cycle as well. Hopefully she will transition nicely to this next level. Sullivan, Brian, Rose are all really technical, great midfielders.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    OK what should I ask for next? :)

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use your powers for good, and ask wisely!!

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maybe I'll move The Flash to North Carolina next or is that too much ;)

sitruc and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a great move ... although moving Sky Blue might be better overall for the league and their color is right (according to some).

22. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm telling you KT, someone on high (within the USSF) is reading your posts.

It seems a message is being sent to all prospective college recruits: verbal to UCLA and your guaranteed a tryout with the full WNT.

23. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't think she'd like having me around...fun gig tho