Jamie Vardy suspension

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Bill C, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Bill C

Bill C Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Does anyone know what Jamie Vardy did that earned him the extra game suspension? The clips I've been able to find show an angry man who has just been caught diving and sent off pointing his finger at the ref angrily, and then pretty quickly (relative to other send-offs) leaving the field of play.

In my experience, when a player gets sent off, they often go and argue angrily with the referee for a brief period of time. So how is this different. Was it the finger pointing? Is that some kind of super threatening action in Britain?

Hopefully this new intolerance for anger will mean that the FA is going to start charging players who visually flip off the AR who correctly called them offside, while at the same time screaming "F#$% OFF" in such a way that no viewer could possibly NOT lip read. Or is that permitted as long as the OFF isn't changed to YOU?

On the other hand, I'd be happy if someone tells me he got the extra game for the simulation. If the FA wants to have an impact with these "chargings", how about going after undetected and obvious simulation?

2. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Improper conduct according to news reports.

3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I know "********" is a trigger word in the States.
    It isn't used that way in the UK.

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Give us another hint.

Sport Billy repped this.
  5. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Ooh, ooh, charades!!!

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Oh is it "fook?" That's another word entirely, isn't it?

7. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    He called the referee a f***ing c***, according to reports.

8. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It wasn't the pointing, it was, partly, the things he said (not sure exactly what it was but it was quite a few choice words so the FA had a lot to work with ;)) and partly the fact that he didn't really leave that quickly but rather stood there ranting at the referee for quite some time and that made it visible in such a way that the FA really had to step in and charge him.

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    But he looks like such a nice boy.

IASocFan and roby repped this.
  10. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drinkwater had something to say to Oliver during his sending off today.

Huth pulled Fellaini's hair and got an elbow in the face for his trouble. all 3 could see some extra matches off

11. Bill C

Bill C Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I guess it is good that they are "cracking down" in the situation where you have been sent off and are expected to leave with a laugh and a smile.

Now if they would only demand better decorum from players who haven't just been sent off...imagine how that might improve the game. I think I can count on one hand (definitely less than two) the number of dissent cards I have seen given out in the EPL this year, and I watch most games each week.

12. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea Drinkwater said something but he was on his way inside of 30 seconds, can't see him getting any extras. Huth and Fellani is an interesting one though. If viewed separately I'd expect Huth to get nothing but Fellani to be in some trouble. But as it is a single situation I guess they'll get the same (if any) punishment as I don't think the average pundit or fan would understand differentiating them.

13. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    might depend on what Drinkwater had to say. he did a similar to Vardy finger point in the ref's face.

here is the Huth-Fellaini incident on video

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Fellini is a dirty dirty player.
    Hr should have been banned long ago for his antics

RedStar91 and djmtxref repped this.
  15. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    He's just misunderstood:cautious::cautious:! Once a Blue, always a blue.

16. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Completely agree. It blows my mind how he never gets caught with those elbows and sent off. It seems like it happens every game.

I know spotting elbows and determining whether it's a weapon or tool is probably the most difficult call a referee has to make. I've gotten it wrong myself plenty of times in my games, but these guys must know how Fellani plays. How can you keep giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's a thug and he will eventually fracture some ones skull with the way he plays.

Also, don't even get me started on Huth...

17. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I'm mistaken, the ball was in play by the time Huth and Fellaini started, um, jostling.

Had this incident been caught--and it would certainly have had to have been caught by the AR--I really wonder what the refereeing team would have come up with for a restart. Huth starts grabbing Fellaini's shoulder, sure, but it's not enough for a penalty. But then it seems like he starts grabbing the hair just as Fellaini swings the elbow upward; I might be crazy, but it sure looks like Fellaini was starting to elbow him before the hair grab, though the hair grab itself certainly occurs before the elbow makes contact.

It's a bang-bang play and it would have been a coin flip (hell, it's probable the elbow would get spotted but not the hair grab). But my point here is that often in these cases we give the defense the benefit of the doubt and you have a DFK before you deal with the misconduct. I think the right call here would have been to award the penalty and then send both players off.

Two additional points:

1) This specific incident either doesn't happen or it gets caught if an AAR is standing right there.

2) I really should resist the urge, but I won't. This was another match that proves both MLS refereeing isn't as bad as people make it out to be and replay really would have a tough time solving some of the KMIs people complain about. In this match (which, by the way, I felt Oliver did well managing overall), you have the above incident that is two red cards and probably a penalty, you had a stonewall penalty appeal for Leicester turned down, and then you had the Drinkwater 2CT that is right about on the penalty area line but was given as a DFK and replays suggest (though I would argue are not conclusive) was actually a penalty. If an MLS match from this weekend should have had two red cards and three penalties not given, we'd be hearing about how the sky is falling. And replay itself been in effect for this match, given the format that's been suggested so far, the latter two incidents (Leicester penalty and presumed Manchester United penalty) don't get "fixed" because there was no natural stoppage for Leicester and the angle on the United appeal isn't conclusive enough. Plus, if replay did change the United DFK to a penalty, does that mean Drinkwater would have stayed on the pitch? Because most FIFA referees don't give cautions for tactical holding in the penalty area now.

Bradley Smith repped this.
  18. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they do. Why do you think Huth grabbed a handful of hair. :rolleyes:

jayhonk and IASocFan repped this.
  19. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    When I spoke to Ali saheli we are told not to call then tactical fouls but to speak and think of it as taking away a promising attack. Since fouls inside the box result in a pk it does not take away a promising attack.

AlextheRef and frankieboylampard repped this.
  20. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is the dirtiest player I've ever seen. How he gets away with VC elbows every game is beyond me. Half the time refs don't even call a foul, must less give a yellow or red.

21. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Luis Suarez is a dirtier player than Fellaini, but it's close. On the Fellaini-Huth incident, my reading is that they are jostling, jostling. Then, as Huth's arm and hand get closer over his shoulder, Fellaini begins to move his arm to brush him back. By this time, Huth has his hand in Fellaini's hair; when he tightens his grip on the hair and tugs it (you can see Fellaini's head actually move back and to the side from Huth's pull of his hair), that's when Fellaini loses it and his brushback with the arm becomes a violent elbow. Fellaini does throw his elbows way too much, but I think in this instance it really is a reaction to the violent tug of his hair.

That Cherokee repped this.
  22. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    These guys with long hair deserve it. NFL players too. Cut your hair and you won't have someone using it against you. Does it provide some type of advantage to have long hair?
    I'm talking to you Beckerman.
    And Gareth Bale's man bun has to go. If I were his teammate, I'd cut it on the team plane.

superdave repped this.
  23. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if Douglas Costa had gotten rid of his eyes, Dembele wouldn't have been able to use them against him.
    Are you serious?

Thezzaruz repped this.
  24. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Diego Costa. Douglas plays for Bayern Munich.

Diego is another one in the dirty player category, not that he deserves to have his eyes gouged.

HoustonRef, exref and usaref repped this.
  25. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the NFL it is legal to tackle a player by his hair. Being a life long Steeler fan I have seen #43 tackled a few times by his awesome locks.

So you are saying all soccer players should have it high and tight? You know it is as much a entertainment venue as it is a sport right? Hair is what sets some players apart from others. I always know where Fellaini is on the pitch. And careful about Bale. My 17 yr old has started in own bun from watching players. I say do it while you still have the hair.

What about womens soccer? We need a team of Dorthy Hammels out there?

You comment reminds me of.
    [​IMG]