Jamar Beasley

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BerwynBlazers, Jul 26, 2002.

1. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is he? He was recently playing Semi-Pro in Chicago then I heard he just went to Italy again.
    Anyone have any details?

2. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Jamar in Italy

I know Jamar personally, I am from his home town and am a friend of his through our parents and the local Soccer community. He was at The Plex, a local indoor/ outdoor soccer complex last week with his brother DaMarcus to play in a local all star game, and do a great question and answer press conference with 250 local kids. He is on his way now to a Serie B team just outside of Napoli, sorry i can't remember the name, but I will ask DaMarcus tomarrow when I see him. It's almost his dream come true.....he'd rather be in Serie A, but he is thrilled to be in Italy where he says he has had his most memorable travels with soccer. I see DMB tomarrow at a the National Pro Soccer School soccer camp in Celina Ohio, and I will ask him about the club name, and any web site info that he might have,

3. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Cool, thanks for the info Cory. It would be great if you could get the club name. Are you sure it's a Serie B club?

Wish him luck too!

4. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Jamar in Italy

I am NOT sure its a Serie B team...... looking at the other threads about he number of foreign players allowed makes me think that Im right, but I will be able to tell you for sure after I talk to DMB tomarrow.

5. allycks

allycks New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Parma, Italy
    Could be Salernitana? Serie B team in Salerno, just south of Naples.

6. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Puteolana

Last season, he was reported to be headed for Puteolana, a Serie D team near Naples. Seems plausible that's where he's going now.

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember Salerno. What I saw of the town wasn't that attractive. Rows of cookiecutter apartment buildings. But the waterfront was nice. I could get behind them if Jamar ends up there.

8. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are quite a few lower Serie teams there.

Savoia is C1 (I think). Its claim to fame is that the guy who was the coach of Castel di Sangro is also coach there.

In between Salerno and Naples is Cavese. They are Serie C2. My cousins live in Cava dei' Tirreni, so I will check with him.

9. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Re: Puteolana

Just a technical correction: I think Puteolana are still in the Serie C2/C--which is part of the fourth level of the Italian leagues, but not called Serie D.

If I understand C2 correctly, Puteolana finished fourth from bottom last season and were forced into a play-off for salvation against 3rd from bottom Tricase. The two played 0-0 draws in both legs, which meant salvation for Puteolana since they finished higher in the table.

[I think they might ultimately have stayed up in any case because fifth from bottom Cavese were relegated for some kind of corruption/illegal activity.]

Before the recent BS crash, someone who claimed to know the Beasleys quite well posted that Jamar was headed back to the same club in Italy he had been linked with before, so beineke is probably correct.

10. blastoff11

blastoff11 New Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Akron, OH
    Jamar.

all i have to say is that we wish him luck and hope he does well. but the kid is over-rated as a soccer player, in my book. he scored some goals for chicago last season, more by running on to balls or finishing deflections and saves, but goals nonetheless. however, as a soccer player, technically and tactically, i don't rate him, not even near where DMB is. hype....but good luck in Italy......

11. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Re: Puteolana

Right you are. Thanks for the correction.

12. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Puteolana

Wierd stuff is happening with Cavese. They were supposed to be relegated 2 seasons ago, but were saved when another team was unable to stay up.

At any rate, C2 is technically pro and D is technically not, but both are in reality semi-pro.

13. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Jamar in Italy

Okay....Im a dumbass......DaMarcus says hi to all of you, he is doing well despite that loss to San Jose Wednesday. Back to the dumbass thing, I left the peice of paper with the name of Jamar's club in the freaking soccer shop trailer that I hauled over to the camps today!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! All I can tell you tonight is that it is a C1 club just south of Napoli and it is not any of the one's mentioned in the thread so far.....dammit I suck! It is the same club that ws interested in him before, or one in the same organization...he told me that much last time we had a sit down chat. He went there about three months ago, as they were ending their season, and scored three goals in four games.....thats what sealed the deal. Oh, and by the way, he DID get signed before the moritorium on foreign players was passed down, DMB told me that today...............sigh I still suck though dammit! I'll get that paper tommorow when my business is hosting a local Men's and Co-Ed soccer tournament........the local brewery is settin up a beer tent with dollar drafts.........I better put that paper in my pocket first thing before I'm too loaded to remember it.

14. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    Ask DMB what clubs are making/made offers for him.

15. The Serie C2c club he was linked to is Puteolana, the city they play in is Pozzuoli, which lies west of Naples.

16. Napoli_Ultra

Napoli_Ultra Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Lorton VA
    Club:
    DC United
    From the 3 years I lived in Naples I didn't really know anything about lower level clubs.
    Pozzuoli basically is right next to Naples. It is where St. Paul first landed in Italy and is known for the Sulfatara (Sulpher Hot Water Springs). Also there are over 5,000 Americans living in the Naples area due to a US Navy base.

17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cory, he's twice told you which club he's going to and you still can't remember? Short term memory a little fuzzy lately? Tell Jamar to get on here and let us know himself.

Someone said Jamar wasn't as good as Damarcus.
    You're not exactly breaking news. Jamar was highly touted when he entered MLS in 98. I was at Foxboro his first appearance. He came on as a late sub and electrified the game. Unfortunately, Walter Zenga came on as coach at the same time and badly mishandled JB for the rest of that season and 99. Invariably, with the Revo losing, Jamar would come on in the last 5 minutes or so. He never got enough time on the pitch to develop. Clavijo used him more in 2000 and it seemed his game was coming around. Then the Revo cut him loose the next season and he did ok with Chicago.

Jamar is a superb athlete. He may be the fastest American player. No one else can cut on a dime like him. Unfortunately, he's never learned to play pro soccer. He's still basically a HS player trying to beat people with his physical prowess.

People have given up on this guy. I havn't. I hope he goes to Italy and develops tactical awareness.
    He's still young, 21-22. Good luck.

18. Lab Mouse

Lab Mouse New Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Kalamazoo, MI, USA
    I hope Jamar finds success in Italy. I liked what he did when he was playing with Chicago, definitely showed he had potential.

Make Fort Wayne even more proud.

19. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002

Appleby is absolutely right! Jamar is a good player, with ability. He is a different type of player from DaMarcus. He is a an off center/running striker. He was not given the right development or go out and play pro level confidence until Bob Bradely in Chicago. When players come from amateur to professional level, they must be taught to play the professional game. Coaches who give the on field opportunity and at the same time instruct the nuances of that level of play can teach a player to play the pro game. In some cases players have tremendous ability and seem natrual to the environment. Others like Jamar, jumping from high school, with all his tools and gifts can learn the way to play if a coach will teach the pro game/including skills/tactics/ and touches. He is not a bad player. Actually he has some serious good qualities. He will find his way and I believe will surprise a lot of people in the future. Remember Tony Sanneh and many U.S. players worked their way up through many lesser known clubs, actually from nowhere to the top!!!

Don't count Jamar out!

20. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Jamar in Italy

Alrighty now!

I finally got it, DMB wasn't sure of the exact spelling, but you serie c1 buffs (cmon get a life huh?), should know it.......Notricena, hope that answers that. As for what clubs have been interested in him, Middlesboro and a few germna clubs are all that he and I have spoken about, and NO I DON'T know which german clubs, only that he wasn't really interested in any of them yet. Nuff said, I need a nap. For all of you Ft Wayne amature soccer buffs (sorry the writer is in the midst of some twisted fantasy), my team is suckin at the local Extravaganza..........but the beer is oh so goooooooooooood!

21. Coryattheplex

Coryattheplex New Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Ft Wayne, Indiana
    Jamar in Italy

Hey i just now read the post just above mine, and I wanted to comment. The statement that he is still a HS player trying to adjust to the pro game is half true, but I've got to tell you, Jamars biggest weakness is not his tactical or technical ability, all of us in Ft Wayne have seen the huge leaps he has made in those area since HS........it's the fact that he was still trying to hard in MLS to prove that he's the guy that can do it all. I keep telling people to watch what happens in Italy, where he is surrounded by guys who can create for him....so he doesn't have to try to turn and take on defenders and get stuck.....just like he did in Chicago. His real strength lies in his vision and speed, skills that put him in position to score, as well as his technical ability to finish. Trust me, if he is given the type of service into space that even lower division italian players are capable of........he might just explode into the confident scorer that we all thought he was meant to be.......not the dribbling machine that HE thought he was supposed to be!

22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Jamar in Italy

Coryattheplex, you rule man! We are all counting on you to give us the inside scoop on the Beasley brothers. ;)

Do you think Jamar can be as good as DaMarcus? Seems like they may have the same athletic ability, but DMB is more skilled. I honestly haven't watch Jamar too much, so I can't say more than that.

What do you think?

Say hello to DMB and Jamar. By the way, what does DMB think about his Johnson being on BigSoccer? Next time tell him to take a wiz in the bathroom. ;)

23. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Re: Jamar in Italy

Nocerina.

24. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    Re: Re: Jamar in Italy

Isn't that the club that Nelson Akwari and Alex Yi were supposed to play for? I thought they signed contracts and went there, but were told to go home once they arrived...something like that.