Jamaica Villas, Hotels, and Fans Who Want to Be There

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by dsheon, Dec 14, 2002.

1. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I've reserved a trip to Miami for the US/Argentina game on 2/8 and then on to Jamaica on 2/9 for a week's vacation.

I prefer to stay in a villa to a hotel. In past experiences, villas have a cook/maid and if a group of 4 or 5 go in together, it's cheaper than the cost of a hotel for the same time period.

Yes the game is in Kingston, so we rent a car and travel to/from the game even if for a couple hours each way. In otherwords, I don't feel strongly about staying near Kingston.

My questions are:
    1) does anyone know of a villa they would recommend?
    2) is anyone interested in joining me? send email to dsheon@sciwords.com
    3) any advice from people who have been before?

Thanks,
    David

2. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    For example, there's this villa overlooking Montego Bay - the whole villa, with maid and cook, rents for under $250/night. It sleeps six to 12.
    If we had five people it would be $50 per person per night. I think there are two and maybe three right now.....

3. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Update: a friend at work goes to Jamaica regularly. She says we should stay in Ocho Rios which has great nightlife, nice beaches (not the best on the island but decent) good snorkling, hikes to waterfalls, horseback riding all over and generally less touristy than Montego Bay.

I called a reputable villa rental company and told them what I'm looking for and here's what they found:
    http://www.sunvillas.com/villas/Wag_Water/wag_water_villa.htm#aa
    Wag Water has up to 3 bedrooms available with double occupancy (twin beds and two double beds). Cook and maid, pool, stairs down to its own beach and if a co-owned villa that's much more expensive is not rented, we can use that beach too. The price if two rooms are rented (that's four people) is $2800 for the week, or if we stay Sunday 2/9 through Wed 2/12 only (game is day time on 2/12) then the cost is pro-rated per night, which means it comes out to $100 per person per night, plus we have to buy our food for the cook to make. We'd need to take public buses or rent a car too.
    So far there are 2 of us looking good, one more considering. Looking for at least one more.
    dsheon@sciwords.com

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've booked your flight already? I'm looking for more flight info. I'm going to both games too. My wife is going also. I would perhaps be interested in the villa idea if I find out more.

5. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I've reserved my air ticket (a freebie on American) and can change schedules up until 12/30. I have not yet reserved the villa but it is available that day. It's about 10 minutes to Ocho Rios, which is supposed to have great nightlife. It's on a huge plantation that fronts onto the ocean. Pool. Satellite or cable TV. You can talk with the guy who manages the rentals who has been there if you want to hear more about it. There are three bedrooms, all are available. You and wife could have one private obviously.
    $100 or less per night includes maid and cook but does not include groceries or tip. I would reserve through Wednesday night. I have to fly back to DC on Thursday though others could stay longer. They seem very flexible.

Rental villa currently under review is called wag water though you are welcome to review any others and talk with the rental guy about them...

Alan J. Marlor

SunVillas Vacation Rentals LLC
    1410 S. Lakeshore Drive
    Sarasota, FL 34231
    Phone: 888-625-6007
    Phone: 941-922-9191
    FAX: 612-677-3590
    WEB: www.sunvillas.com

Please note I'm not endorsing this guy but he knows his stuff, has lots of options and this is an established rental company. All villas come with cook/maid included.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How far is it to Kingston and would we rent a car to get there?

7. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kingston is on the southeast edge of the island. Montego Bay is on the northwest edge. Not sure about Ocho Rios or what the driving times/distances are between the cities. However, you can fly from Montego Bay to Kingston for about $150 r/t.

8. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    It's an hour and a half to Kingston from Ochos Rios I'm told. I've been told you can negotiate a flat fee with taxi driver. Maybe buy him a game ticket and he'll take you to/from the game for free from Ochos Rios. Or rent a car.
    It's probably a little longer drive to OR from Montego Bay (you can fly into MB or Kingston) however the travel dude I listed above recommended flying into Montego Bay and staying out of Kingston except for the match.

9. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    One and half hours is optimistic. I would allow a little more. Ocho Rios has a lovely setting. I think the cab driver would rather have the money than the ticket. It is a tough job and they usually do not have the leisure time to do something like this.

10. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    could be the case on both time and cab costs. I can only go by what a friend here at work says who goes down there a couple times a year. She says one day she hired a cab for $20 US and he took her around for 3 hours. She paid a guy $150 and he was on call and available for any travel they wanted for 3 days, including long trips to Negril from Ocho Rios. Not sure what deal we'd strike but it seems do-able based on this discription.