Jack Wilshere Discussion

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DutchCane, May 23, 2012.

1. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    since he's being set up for a tremendous fall with all the pressure heaped upon him by fans such as ones who write this with all seriousness:

I’m a believer that Wilshere is the best player at Arsenal. Not the best player after RVP, just the best player period. What he did against Barcelona at the Emirates was nothing short of astonishing. But I think that’s the level he can provided on a regular basis once he’s back and fit. And if that’s what he can contribute, then his importance to this side cannot be overstated.

http://yankeegunnerblog.com/

smh

I rate JW very highly, hell who doesn't, but I really hope and pray we solidify/reenforce the midfield because to rely solely on an inform Jack who is coming off injury, sound familiar, is setting him up for failure and unfair pressure. He should be allowed to work himself back into form so we can witness him hopefully fullfill his tremendous potential.

2. zombier

zombier Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Jersey City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One of the most depressing things about this past season was not seeing Jack play. Im curious to see how he plays without having Cesc and Nasri around him. Arteta can hold his own just fine though. Im excited to see a midfield of M'Vila(hopefully)/Song/Arteta/Jack. Lets hope Jack doesnt continue his injury nightmare.

3. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I agree, a healthy JW while imvho not making that much of a difference would have been great because it would've allowed him and Rambo to mature in the proper way without being left out to dry playing too many games. Everyone would've been fresher. I think he and Diaby would've been a great difference this year in terms of depth, not sure about results but who knows

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I dont get why these bloggers write nonsense like that. They were saying similar stuff about Ramsey last year, and now many dont think he should wear the shirt.

They act like Jack is already one of the best players in the world and what not, instead of a player who was just coming off his first full season as an Arsenal first teamer. Its pathetic and desperate.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's going to have way too much pressure on him next year. We've seen how long it takes to recover from a serious, year-away-from-the-sport sort of injury, and expecting young Jack to be anything more than adequate, will I fear, be setting him up for failure. I think he needs to get O-C like minutes next year, in much the same way that the Nationals will nurture Stephen Strasburg this year.

6. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    As long as he recovers from his injuries, I'd be amazed if he gets as little time of the pitch as O-C did this season. Might take him a little while to get match fit, but I'll bet you he starts 15-20 games next season at least

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the blogger you linked gets a bit hyperbolic about Jack, but overall.....despite his hyperbole, he nevertheless makes nearly the exact same point you do in the first sentence of your last paragraph, i.e.,.........

So even with his hyperbole, this blogger isn't by any stretch saying that Jack is the answer to our midfield problems.

8. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I'm just holding my breath and hoping he isn't a Ramsey situation let alone a Diaby situation (or Rosicky for that matter).

9. Flyemirates2491

Mar 8, 2007
    Roma, Italia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm excited though to see Wilshere, Arteta and Song in the same midfield; they're all players who can be creative going forward, as well as scrappy and tough in defense. We saw this year how much Arteta can help improve our team defending from the midfield. The previous season JFW impressed in his ability to battle in midfield, offering a tougher approach to midfield than we had during the Cesc era. My hope is that these guys can combine to form a midfield that will work tirelessly off the ball, as well as excel in more techincal areas of the game. I'm not saying that Jack will come back and save our team, but he and Arteta offer exactly what we need to be successful and correct the mistakes of the past few years--a midfield that knows how to pass and create when we have the ball, but also have the guts to lay it all out in order to get the ball back when we don't have it.

That said, next year could be difficult for Wilshere, especially if he misses out on pre-season due to his injury problems, and it could be another few years before we see him take over our midfield. By that time, Arteta might be past it, but here's to hoping that they can combine sooner rather than later.

10. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Huge difference btw me saying he has tremendous potential and I want him to fullfill that and saying he's Arsenal's best player. If you cant' see the difference then I can't really help you.

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know to whom you're responding since you haven't quoted anyone, but I agree with you that the blogger was being hyperbolic about Jack's importance. Nevertheless, he also says that we can't heap everything on Jack next season, even if he is healthy, and that the midfield has to be bolstered if we want to win anything.

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    if i remember right, he's ruled out for the euro but has he also been ruled out for the olympics? i know ramsey wants in on that one.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Random thread, wilshere has to work on some things to be world class imo and there is a chance he never recovers from his injuries.....let's see what happens next year before calling him an all time great

14. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I don't even understand how you can call him Arsenal's best player. I would agree he has tremendous potential but fullfilling it is one thing

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i don't think he is our best player, he can become one of them

16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No doubt. But first things first, he's got to simply get healthy and play a full season. Then I'll worry about how high his upside is.

17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is too much pressure for a twenty year old. Bring him back slowly, rotate him with the likes of Ramsey, Rosicky, and Arteta, and don't throw him into the deep end.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    where the fock did i say he is? how is it pressure?

he CAN become a world class player

i also said he may never recover, i am being realistic u numpties!

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    while i usually disagree with bigman, he's saying exactly the same thing you guys are saying: wilshere has the potential to be excellent but has things to work on, if he recovers fully from his injury. :D

20. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    it's been so long since i've seen this kid play, i've almost forgotten his game.

21. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is wrong with Wilshere? 20 years old and he's already going to miss an entire year? Without so much as a serious traumatic injury? Very strange. I really do think that Wenger must hire the worst physios and doctors in the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19036487

22. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I say simply plan for the season without him. So Diaby/Arteta/Song/Coquelin good enough for the two box to box spots but we need another AM. Rosicky is out, Ramsey is at the Olympics plus he isn't ready for that position yet.

23. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long term, this may be the worst problem at Arsenal. It's been half a decade of continuous non-healing injuries. Whether it's poor training, poor diagnosis, poor treatment, poor motivation, bad luck, or whatever, the problem needs to be identified and fixed. It costs the club tens of millions in salary and payouts for finishing lower in tournaments and tables. The players need to get injured less and healthy more quickly.

24. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Wilshere was overplayed . Wenger admitted it also. Kinda hard not to play him with how good he is.

25. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Not only overplayed, but also it was a long standing issue that he'd had for years. Recent operation was for a different injury. Made sense for him to have it over the summer. Club are being ultra cautious with him to prevent further issues in the future.