PBP: J30 - La Liga 18/19 | Villarreal v FC Barcelona | 2 April 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sporting Lisbon not in a "top 5 league" so those goals are not counted for the purpose of this statistic. But it is interesting as France has not always been a "top 5" league for all purposes, and Portugal sometimes comes close in terms of coefficient.

afar repped this.
  2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #77 Gilmango, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Good article on Pique-dependency. What a great season he has had, and something which isn't mentioned in the article, how lucky we are that he retired from the Spanish NT. I hope he remains retired but could see him maybe tempted to play one more Euro next summer... Related, even though it was stupid to not pick him immediately, I wish Lucho had continued his grudge against Alba and not selected him, as he, like Pique and Messi (and Busquets) is another player we totally rely upon. https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...e-dependence-also-exists-at-barcelona-7388263

Another thought on the draw and one point being good. When EV said we need 6 wins (in 9 remaining games) I mentioned that 5 wins and 3 draws would do just as well, and now we have one of those draws.

I also pointed out that any points we took from Atleti counted double (if we win then they lose and we get 6 points plus the tiebreaker so really 7 points with respect to them, but if we draw then they also draw, so that is 1 point gained by us, but also 2 points lost by them, so it reduces our "magic number" by 3. The magic number is currently 17 with 8 games to play for both us and Atleti. With respect to 3rd place Real Madrid the magic number to eliminate them is 14 points with 8 games for us, and 9 for them (though they are just 2 points behind Atleti, we hold the tiebreak over Real but not Atleti, so the magic number is 3 less).

For perspective, in 30 Liga games we have 70 points (2.33 / game), so if that continued we'd be fine but just barely (we need 2.125 / game vs. Atleti, 1.75 / game vs. Real). However, if those teams drop ANY points at all, that also reduces our magic number. Alteti is dropping 0.933 points / game thus far in Liga play (they have 62 of a possible 90 points, so dropped 28 points in 30 games); and Real is dropping 1.0345 pts / game thus far this season.

afar repped this.