PBP: J13 - La Liga 18/19 | Atlético Madrid v FC Barcelona | 24 November 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1 Viscaelbarca, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday, 24th November 2018
    20:45 BARCELONA TIME

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Estadio

Wanda Metropolitano

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PREVIOUS MEETINGS

[​IMG]

SLL 05-03-2018 FT Barcelona 1 : 0 Atletico Madrid

SLL 15-10-2017 FT Atletico Madrid 1 : 1 Barcelona

SLL 27-02-2017 FT Atletico Madrid 1 : 2 Barcelona
    SCdR 08-02-2017 FT Barcelona 1 : 1 Atletico Madrid
    SCdR 02-02-2017 FT Atletico Madrid 1 : 2 Barcelona
    SLL 22-09-2016 FT Barcelona 1 : 1 Atletico Madrid

[​IMG]

VISCAELBARCA

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Suspended: Rakitic

No players are on three bookings.
    5 bookings = one Liga match suspension
    The first yellow card Rakitic received against Betis was his third of the season but when he received his second yellow of the match the double yellow meant he was automatically suspended for this match and his "bookings count" reverts back to two for the season (in terms of receiving a suspension for accumulated bookings).
    Got it? :thumbsup:

BocaFan repped this.
  3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tough to replace Rakitic. But luckily we have a deep bench. With so many options I'd play Roberto in Rakitic's place ... and as a right FB. He can easily cover both. :laugh:

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I always wondered what they did in that situation. Too harsh to count both yellows since that would mean 2 yellows is actually worse than a straight red, and even worse than a yellow followed by a straight red.

So this rule actually makes sense.

Is it the same in CL? ie. if you have zero yellow cards and pick up 2 in one game, are you still at zero when you return from the suspension?

5. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes.

6. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #6 Viscaelbarca, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Coutinho trained with the team yesterday...
    What starting 11 would you play provided that Coutinho is 100% fit?

My 11 would be;

MATS
    Semedo - Pique - Umtiti - Alba
    Busquets
    Vidal - Arthur
    Messi - Coutinho
    Suarez​

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Mostly agree, I'd just have Roberto instead of Semedo. Otherwise I dont think we have enough to create a lot of threats offensively. Really want to see Vidal get a start or 5 starting now, and makes perfect sense in this game, which sadly is played at the same time as Riber- Boca.:devilish:.

8. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    IDK, he was quite bad defensively (as were the rest TBH) against Betis. Does he have the defensive ability to keep with with Lemar on that wing? Difficult to tell.

9. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm with the chorus that feels Sergi Roberto shouldn't play at right back.
    What am I missing? What's the deal with Semedo? I watched him with Benfica and was quite happy Barcelona went for him but I don't understand why he often gets left out of the lineup.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    From what I've seen of Semedo, SR offers more supporting the attack. Which is weird because Semedo seems to have the speed that could be useful going forward. But I don't think his touch on the ball and delivery is that good.

Gilmango repped this.
  11. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    in 46 appearances for Barca, Semedo has only one assist.
    Roberto has 18 assists in 97 appearances (plus 2 goals).
    [from espnfc]

neither is the perfect option. Semedo is the better defender, but Roberto adds more when the team is in possession (which is most of the time). Roberto is more likely to be beaten one-on-one, but Semedo is more likely to lose possession in midfield leaving the team vulnerable to fast counters. if we could combine Semedo's physique with Roberto's brains and ball control, we'd have the ideal RB.

i don't think the outcome of any match hinges on this one decision though. we should be able to win with either of these guys starting.

Gilmango and celito repped this.
  12. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I have added the match dates and times in the opening post...

Apparently, Vidal got to Barcelona from South America at 5am, he went home and got ready then was in training on time at 10am. He really wants to play against Atletico...

13. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  14. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    ********ing hell.. no Coutinho...

The only bright side to not having Coutinho and Rakitic is the fact Atletico will be missing Juanfran, Gimenez and Godin... 3/4 of their back line..

unclesox repped this.
  15. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That means Rafinha will probably start...
    Apparently the training sessions had Rafinha starting 4-4-2

16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re Squad List:
    Coutinho returned to training this week and there was talk he could make the squad but Valverde said he doesn't want to take risks. The Brazilian could feature against PSV in midweek in the Champions League.

As well as Coutinho and Denis (on bench for "technical" reasons, injured duo Thomas Vermaelen and Sergi Samper also miss out, while Ivan Rakitic is suspended. The Croatian also returned from international duty with a hamstring problem, but trained on Friday.

So yeah, Rafinha, Dembele, Malcom or Alena could get a start (for missing Coutinho), and I already have Vidal starting for suspended Rakitic. Only other questions then seem to be the RB (Roberto likely to start), and Left CB (Umtiti is my guess over Lenglet). Rest is clear: MAtS, Pique, Alba, Busi and Arthur in mid, Messi and Suarez up front. So my guess to be clear is MAtS, Roberto, Pique, Umtiti, Alba, Vidal, Busi and Arthur, Rafinha, Messi and Suarez. Dembele and/or Malcom off the bench against tired legs unless we are already protecting a lead (or even if we are)...

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 Gilmango, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    [​IMG]
    So with no Rakitic (suspended and possibly still injured too) and no Coutinho (injured / saved for CL we hope), we do get a Vidal start (as predicted) but we also get a Semedo start (not predicted) along with Roberto playing in mid in presumably a 4-4-2. So basically Semedo edges out Rafinha, Alena, Dembele, and Malcom as the 11th starter in a 4-4-2 (Rafinha, Alena) or a 4-3-3 (Dembele, Malcom), by playing RB and allowing Roberto to be the fourth mid. Other prediction, Umtiti back to starting was correct, Lenglet on bench.

MAtS
    Pique-Umtiti
    Semedo-Busi-Alba
    Roberto-Vidal-Arthur
    Messi---------
    -------------Suarez
    So bench is those 4 non-starters already mentioned (Rafinha, Alena, Dembele, and Malcom) plus Lenglet, Cillessen, and Munir. So lots of firepower on the bench. Not much beyond Lenglet if we want to protect a lead, but then if we have a lead putting on a speedster (Dembele, Malcom) to counter their pressure could be just what we need. Or we could try to clog the middle with extra a/o fresh mids like Rafinha and Alena.

18. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Can't believe Craperto is starting again ... if i was Dembele or Malcom i would start looking for a another club in the winter transfer window because it seems there is no way in hell Craperto will be dropped no matter how much he ********s the team game after game after game , where as if Dembele or Malcom do one wrong move they are casted out for life

is there any way we can get rid of this virus :unsure:

Forzabarca repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Excellent first ball from Semedo ... :whistling:

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Downside of watching this on an iptv box is being like 2 mins behind a regular cable feed.

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Vidal at left wing ...,

22. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Can't expect anything else than this moronic coach.

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He's had tips of Roberto ..,

On a serious note . Samedo' confidence must be shot given Valverde chooses an average midfielder to play at RB normally ..
    I'll be amazed if he stays in January

Imagine the pressure .. he knows that even if he plays amazingly well tonight he will be on the bench for the next 5 games or so

puyol repped this.
  24. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Gil Manzano is a prick. That wasn’t a foul by Semedo. It’s gonna be a long night with him...

25. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky Griezmann hesitated there. Could've been punished.