J.League Revenues, Management, Economics, etc.

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by psveindhoven, Aug 3, 2011.

1. m_darmanto

m_darmanto Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    http://apgsports.com/2014/03/27/japanese-professional-baseballs-twenty-year-long-slump/

The article above is about NPB, but mentioned a little about J.League. I'm just an observer from outside Japan so I don't know the competition between the sports leagues and the sports enthusiasm there. Is it true that J.League eroded the NPB revenue and interest of the sports fans? When I watched a (streaming) NPB match, the spectators in the stadium still amazed me, it's just like watching football actually, but is it possible that football eventually can beat baseball popularity in Japan?

Maybe my questions not about J.League economics, but from the article we can concluded that expansion and media management are important for a sport league, and J.League should also aware of this in the future.

2. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    NPB has some serious issues. But theres a war between them and fans of the 2 leagues really doesnt like each other. Casual Japan that will say middle aged company japanese are baseball fans, but workers, people from provincial towns and youngones are following football.

The biggest problem is TV, the main argument baseball fans has about unpopularity of football is that its not shown on national TV. Sattelite TV is becoming bigger, but mentally Japanese only think the old analogue 6 TV networks are real TV and sattelite are for nerds (Japanese on TV still living in 1990). However the interesting fact is the real reason why Baseball is shown on national TV compared to football is National TV doesnt pay any money to NPB or their Clubs for the TV rights at all.

GunnerTNB and m_darmanto repped this.
  3. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Lupin III and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  4. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Good for them unfortunately Japan still mirroring themselves in NPB, at least no allstars game anymore.

5. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The 2015 of Japanese football

[​IMG]

6. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    http://www.nikkansports.com/soccer/news/1719884.html

That's what J League proposed to the clubs from the start of the next season:
    1) equality dividend would be 3M Euro to every J1 club, 1,3M to J2 clubs and 300k to J3 clubs
    2) 27M as the capital for bonus dividend to the top J1 clubs with the winner getting half of it and the rest will be distributed according to the place in table (up to 4th or 6th team in the table)
    3) 2,6M to the winner of the league
    4) for demoted teams the financial help will span for 2 years

This means that the winner of the league will be getting around 18,5M (bonus+league winning+dividend).

ceezmad, GunnerTNB and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  7. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Anyone knows what is common around Europe?

In Norway, the winner gets around 2,5 mill euro in prize money alone, and along with other bonuses etc the total is close to 4-5 mill euroaccording to this article: http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/fotball/tippeliga-lagene-kjemper-om-flere-millioner/3423151726.html

What are the numbers in for example Holland, Belgium, Switzerland and Portugal? And for that matter Korea, Australia and China?

chook90 repped this.
  8. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think they're good numbers for Asian football without big economic powerhouses.
    I'd have loved to see more money in J3. 300K seems too few.

9. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    #184 Majster2, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Those teams have budgets like 3-4M Euro, some aren't even that good (Fujieda had earnings of 140M yenfor last season, that's about 1,2M Euro). So it's great money for them. I think the method they utilised was getting an average budget of the clubs from previous years and make the dividend rougly as 10% of that sum.

10. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Whispered11 and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  11. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    following up to this post,
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/soccer/news/2016/10/12/kiji/K20161012013523230.html

in regards to point 2) it looks like the sums were set, it will be just top 4 (ACL bunch) apparently to get some kind of second bonus prize
    12M to 1st - 5,8M 2nd - 3M rd - 1,5M 4th

in regards to 3) aka base prize 1st 2,5M, 2nd 1M, 3rd 500k.

If I got the numbers wrong correct me because I make mistakes with japanese numbers all the time. Also keep in mind that exchange rate change the value in € all the time.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  12. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And this is awesome. Talking about structure, J. League is one of 15 finest football systems in the world. Maybe top 10 in 10 years.

13. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    For a top 5 economy, it's not exactly an amazing achievement..

14. Samurai Warrior repped this.
  15. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    In China the CSL has CSL company as the League's Commercial management agency, 60% of the incomes of the CSL company is divided equal to all 16 clubs, in 2016 season, each club recieved 60 million RMB ( 8.71 million USD) from the CSL company, the league has no special bonus for champions or higher ranked clubs in the table.

in 2016 season, CSL company has a Total income of 1.5 billion RMB (217.78 million USD), and Total Expenditure 978 million RMB (141.9655 million USD)

main incomes includs:

Broadcast Rights: Ti'ao power (8 billion RMB for 5 years, 1 billion RMB for 2016 season)

Sponsorship

in million RMB

Company------------ Counrty---------Sponsorship
    China Ping'an------ China----------- 181.5--------- Title Sponsor
    Nike--------------- USA------------- 100----------- Kits Sponsor
    Ford--------------- USA-------------- 40
    JD.com------------- China------------ 35
    Carlsberg---------- Denmark---------- 20
    DHL---------------- Germany---------- 20
    Red Bull----------- Austria---------- 20

Partner

Company-------- Counrty---------Sponsorship
    Ledman--------- China----------- Free LED

Partner and Supplier

in million RMB

Company------- Counrty---------Sponsorship
    TAG Heuer------ Switzerland------ 40
    Shell Oil------ USA-------------- 20

[​IMG]

16. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow Evergrande lost big

Also, do you have any ideas on why Yanbian had such massive profit? Especially considering their very low gate receipts. Was this a one-time sale of a star player?

17. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They're going to blow. Their income is all inside China, beside Nike no one is trying to see more of CSL.
    The opposite of J. League.

18. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #193 Dax, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    difficult question but I'm curious... does anyone know if there is any TV rights for JFL ?
    I know clubs get 60k yen for each win (which is nothing - http://www.jfl.or.jp/jfl-pc/view/s.php?a=869 last row) but is that the only thing they get from JLeague\rights?

19. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Very interesting!

Also didn't know the average attendance was that high! 24,159 makes them the 4th highest attended domestic competition in the world or something ? Ahead of both J.League, Serie A and Ligue 1?

Do you have the attendance numbers for the previous couple of seasons too? It's not that long time ago since they were far behind J.League in attendance I think..

20. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Chinese Jia-A League attendance
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Jia-A_League#Attendances
    Chinese Super League attendance
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Super_League#Attendances

Average attendance of CSL was far behind J-League before 2011, untill Guangzhou Evergrande promoted to CSL and the trend for large-scaleinvestment started

21. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Interesting. I see in the 2011 to 2014 seasons the average attendance seemed to be quite stable around the 18000 mark, and then mainly because of newly-promoted Chongqing who averaged 37 000+ it soared to 22 000 the next season. And then 24 000+ this year with particularly Jiangsu and Liaoning ( cause of their big signings) seeing major increases as well as the newly-promoted teams having much higher attendance than the ones who got relegated ( Shenxin who got relegated had only around 7000 while promoted Yanbian had 19 000).

But when you have 4 major clubs who averages between 35 000 and 45 000 as well as the 2 Shanghai clubs who could probably easily reach those numbers too it's probably likely to just continue to increase.

Very different from J.League who only got Urawa who sees anything near those numbers. Albirex used to be high too,but that's many years ago, and Gamba doesnt seem to be able to fill their new stadium quite yet either. And the likes of Kashima, FC Tokyo and Marinos continues to play infront of less than half-full stadiums.

22. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mexico averages about 26500, so CSL is fifth. Still a remarkable achievement.

23. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Japan has Baseball as most popular sport so that attendance of J-League is respectful while in China no outdoor sports could compete with CSL

24. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    China has 1.3 billion people. What are we talking about?

25. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Does anyone know where I can find the JLeague ticket prices ? Like, max-min. or even better the average one? Not just J1 if possible