J.League Revenues, Management, Economics, etc.

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by psveindhoven, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Other important notes are Tokushima became the first of the new J2 clubs to reach a turnover on 1 billion Yen.

Matsumotos turnover was 20% bigger than they expected themselves.

Mito closing in on the others also.

artml and Whispered11 repped this.
  2. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    A couple of things I dont really get when looking at this data

1. I thought Urawa would have produced a lot morce income then "just" 41,3 mils €

2. No idea how Omiya is able to produce that much income

3. No idea how Omiya is able to be the first in terms of ticket income

4. Didnt know Shimizu makes more than Jubilo

5. Isnt Vissel getting more having Makitani for owner?

6. How is it possible that Albirex gets so little with ticket sales?

I thought the gap between clubs is bigger. For instance between the likes of Urawa and idk a club like Shimizu

3. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Indeed, that's somewhat lower than in hayday when the conquered the AFC CL but still there are only two clubs who made it past 40M USD and the only to get 50+M. That's probably because Mitsubishi isn't pouring much money or at least much less than other clubs backed up by big companies.
    Their main sponsor is NTT and it seems like they have a cart blanche in their management with NTT's checkbook waiting for the sum to be wrtitten on it to balance the budget on 0 at the end of the fiscal year (it happened last year as well).
    In terms of ticket incomes Urawa is waaaay ahead from other teams more than doubling matchday revenues that of the second on the list FC Tokyo.
    When time will get more rough for them I'm sure he'll come into action. He cares even though sometimes he don't know what's going on the stands in Kobe (like he didn't when Ehime supporters posted a banner against 2 stage season taken down by security officers). He did so two years ago if I'm not mistaken when Vissel had some financial problems.

*Mikitani

We discussed it some time ago in this thread if I remember. The reason is that tickets are cheap and many of them is given for free during promotianal action within the region/prefecture.
    Omiya was the last club in this category last season. Most of the money comes from NTT and with such backing from the sponsor every club in Japan is probably jealous (aside from JEF backed by JR East) - aside from the one with the most healthy financially in Japan other club from Saitama ;)

GunnerTNB repped this.
  4. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    thanks a lot for the answers as for omiya's ticket sales. I accidentally missed the line so oops

and yeah Mikitani

5. CND_MARINO

CND_MARINO Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Ontario
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nissan needs to rescue us. Our ticket sales, merchandise and even academy revenue cannot match our managements shortcomings. F.Marinos are in a very bad position, despite fans making the team top 3 in almost all relevant revenue categories. Akira Kaetsu needs to be fired.

6. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The problem with Jubilo is really low attendances, playing in a really small city and Yamaha putting too many money into the club. The day Yamaha has to pull out of Jubilo because of bad economy, We will see Jubilo in trouble in same way as Shonan.

Also Shimizu has an image of being a citizen owned club but actually run by Suzuyo Holdings which is a huge company.

Mikitani owns Vissel but he doesnt pour money into the club as Abramovic he merely does as Nissan with Marinos or Toyota with Grampus, merely sponsoring the club.

Also I am not sure on this Urawa getting fewer money than before can mean several otherthings. I remember back in Urawas best time there was a row about that the money the club earned had to be going back to Mitsubishi and the club management wanted to avoid this. So the books can somehow be hold low or maybe Mitsubishi on purpose therefore puts lesser money into the club to avoid the tax or something.

7. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Lupin check your inbox when you see this message.

8. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sorry for the delay,

Here is the respec info for the paper.
    http://ideas.repec.org/a/jsf/intjsf/v7y2012i4p309-323.html#author

If anyone wants to read the real thing, shoot me an email and I can send a copy (otherwise you have to pay if you buy from the journal). You may be able to access it for free if you are at a university that has access to journal databases.

I have another paper in the works about revenue determinants and attendance in J-1 and J-2.

GunnerTNB and artml repped this.
  9. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Hi Guys yesterday the annual report of the J-League clubs got out I put here the link for the spreadsheet overview for the clubs.

Whats new is its abit more detailed this year than normally, and the new J Clubs that played in JFL last year also are on the sheet (Gives us a good feeling of the economies in J3).

Whats worth to note is that the clubs in 2013 on J1 level has lost a bit of turnover compared to 2012 however this can be because Gamba and Kobe went down and instead Oita, Shonan went up.

Very few J1 clubs were in red in 2013

Marinos and Nagoya seems to have got some money from their mother organisations to sort their situations out so they could get a new license.

On J2, The clubs in 2013 has significantly better turnover than 2012.

Mito is no more the poorest club, they went over a turnover of 500 million yen for first time, while Gunma went down under that line, down to 468 million yen in turnover.

There was a reason why Tokushima went up to J1 since their turnover went up to 120 million yen where in 2012 it was 100 million yen.

Okayama also crossed the magic 100 million line and Matsumoto with 93,8 million must do that here in 2014 and Tochi also on the way (Though you have the feeling with Tochigi its to close the hole to the money running out of their box).

Only 7 J2 clubs were in red in 2013 and out of those relegated from J1 Gamba and Kobe were 2 of them.

Among the new J League clubs (J3 clubs minus tottori and Sanuki), Machida had most turnover with 363 million yen and Nagano in second with 308 million yen. Kanazawa on 3rd. with 278 million yen.

Surprised that Sanuki with the 4th. best turnover on 220 million yen could get promoted and win over Tottori with a fairly good turnover on 648 million yen (Yes almost 3 times of Sanuki).

FC Ryukyu has a shocking low turnover 68 million yen, lower than Morioka that played in regional leagues with 75 million yen. Ryukyu also used too many money since they used the double of what they got in so thery were 78 million in red.

5 of the 11 new J clubs were in red for 2013 among them Nagano.

And yes its in Japanese. If any questions I will answer them :)

http://www.j-league.or.jp/aboutj/document/pdf/club-h25kaiji.pdf

10. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I wonder what went wrong in Sagan?

11. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Now I dont looking at the 2012 spreadsheet, but could it be higher player salaries after the wooohooo We got 5th. season in 2012?

12. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    indeed especially to keep someone like Toyoda and maybe their manager. Salaries are not hidden anyway, I lost the link to the site containing them

13. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  14. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    very interesting stuff

15. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    btw that was not the page I used to have :(

16. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think there was a site that looked quite different there before.

17. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Toyoda's on 30 million yen? That's a bargain for one of the top players in the league.

Lupin III repped this.
  18. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    All japanese players beside Shunsuke is a bargain after my opinion ;)

19. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Tulio? ;)

Lupin III repped this.
  20. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Okay fair enough! :laugh:

However Tulio is loved by the media, they love to make fun of him at the highlights so much you dont feel you see a J-League hightlight programme rather at comedy show.

21. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nakazawa's on 1.5mil I thought (well he was around 2010)

22. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Shonan Bellmare has together with one of their sponsors Eneres co.ltd made a joint venture in the company Shonan Electricalpower. Part of the new companys revenue will go into Shonan Bellmare.

GunnerTNB, Samurai Warrior and Majster2 repped this.
  23. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    btw. Noticed that the CEO of J wannabees of Tonan Maebashi, Mr. Sugawara Hiroshi has joined the management of Thespa Kusatsu Gunma, while still being CEO of Tonan Maebashi. I wonder if that means that Tonan will no longer pursue a spot in J-League and instead become a sattelite and feeder club for Thespa Kusatsu Gunma?

24. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #174 Lupin III, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    J1 and J2 licences for 2015 handed out today.
    Now 37 clubs having a J1 licence compared to 36 in 2014.
    Kamatamare Sanuki is the new club with a J1 license. Ironically this club can still get relegated to J3 for next season.

Nagano got a J2 license despite this coming 2015 only 6 clubs has a J2 license compared to 7 in 2014. Tottori has not got their J2 license and needs further investment until 30 th. October before they can get a J2 license. Its not known if they then will be granted a J3 license but probably so.

25. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #175 Lupin III, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    J3 licenses for 2015 handed out today.

Well not all actually. Morioka, Akita, Fukushima, YSCC, Sagamihara, Fujieda and Ryukyu got J3 licenses.

Tottori are still attempting to obtain a J2 license... if they dont get that they will get a J3.

Yamaguchi and Numazu also got a J3 license, but Hachinohe and Nara did not because of their stadiums not meeting J3 standards.

Whispered11, artml and Samurai Warrior repped this.