J.League Mascots

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by goru_no_ura, Apr 25, 2008.

1. CND_MARINO

CND_MARINO Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Ontario
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There are games streamed on justintv every weekend, your opinion may change.. for the good ;)

2. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I got this from a good S-Pulse friend of mine. He came over it when back at his parent's house for New Year. It dates to the J. League's (and S-Pulse's) foundation and shows three options from which to vote for the team mascot, and three more for the club logo.

Looks like with Palchan we got off veeeeeeery lightly. :D

[​IMG]

3. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes so funny It also stumbled over this 3 months ago so funny, also look at the colour of the uniform.... Blue......

btw. I fell over an old design of Kofu logo..... the same just green and red instead of blue.

4. Tom_Heywood

Tom_Heywood New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    I can't speak a word of Japanese, but I just can't imagine the crowd chanting about the opposition managers' wife and her sexual habits. Or that rival team X are all inbred ____s who have sex with their sisters.

It just shows the different cultures we have, as mascots seem to be really popular over there judging by this thread, whereas anyone over the age of 6 in my country just thinks 'let's all laugh at that giant hairy c___.'

And as for the S-Pulse mascot choice. Holy crap. That Rhino/dinosaur thing is rubbish. Personally, I would have something along the lines of Iron Maiden's Eddie.

5. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Remember Japan is the country that invented Hello Kitty, Pokemon etc.

Characters earn huuuuge amount of money in Japan, and no organisation or companies can live without a popular character, just look at the cute rabbit dressed in police uniform used as a sign on some police boxes. Cute characters is defining corporate identity nowadays, not overall design as would be in the west.

They call it the character war and afterall Japan is the country of Cute culture. :D

6. dokool

dokool Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Club:
    FC Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yep. Check out the various police mascots from each prefecture, this gathering of mascots from the Tokai/Hokuriku area, go look up the Nara mascot controversy (sadly I can't find a link to the story where all three (!) competing mascots got together and hugged it out)... they love their mascots here.

In this case, mascots appeal to the J-League's most valued audiences: women, and children. Give the kids something to take photos with and the women something cute to get their boyfriends to buy merch of, and you're set.

7. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think Kyotos City police mascot is not there.... its not that mascot like but still the mascot a 19th. century Jyunsa (old word for cop) riding on horse.

I've met the lord mayor of Nagoya city as their mascot Hachimaru :D

But basically I think this digs much deeper than just kawaii and photos for the kids. Mascots in Japan is Image public image and branding. Its basically the same philosophy as corporate logos or corporate branding through image or design. Its just another way to brand than Shells Eco friendly commercials but has the same goal.

8. Tom_Heywood

Tom_Heywood New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    This is an interesting topic, and has reminded me of Doraemon. I used to watch it in Cantonese for a laugh when I lived in Hong Kong, as I cannot understand a single word of that language. Same for Dragon Ball Z, which is mental when the dialogue is incomprehensible. I also remember when I saw a very serious magazine like Time/The Economist (but Asian) had something on 50 greatest 20th Century icons of Asia. You had human rights activists from Sri Lanka, Indian political figures like Ghandi...........and Japan voted for Doraemon :D.

It is all part of that cute culture that is so popular over there, from Hello Kitty to girl groups that dress up in school uniforms (though that may have other elements involved there). It is very different to Britain.

9. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [​IMG]

10. GunnerTNB

GunnerTNB Member+

Apr 4, 2011
    São Paulo
    Club:
    Botafogo Rio Janeiro
    How do you translate "強小戦士 ガイナマン"?
    Something like "The Mighty Little Warrior Gainaman"?

11. -Kodemari

-Kodemari Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Trento, Italy
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Still sounds better than Gainare-kun! :D

12. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [​IMG]

Matsumoto Yamaga's new mascot (ガンズくん)

[​IMG]

13. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    And after everything they've done to get me on board with their team... One step forward, eleventy steps back.

14. -Kodemari

-Kodemari Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Trento, Italy
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The design at RSN was a design from Fregional League time, this design is a re-design from when Matsumoto got promoted to the JFL, on new about this is the pose and that Ganzu-kun has a girlfriend.

I find the design of this mascot matching the soft lines in their club emblem so I like it.

16. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

no escape, momoclo is everywhere.

17. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    lol which mascot is next to the FC Tokyo one?

19. Hoolinmazedog

Hoolinmazedog Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Fukuoka
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I've not no real idea what is going on, but have enough of a post-boozing acquaintance with Lawsons karaage-kun to guess that this is some sort of tie-in with that.

We get lots of special days at Level-5 stadium where local companies sponsor the match and bring along some mascot, it looks like Lawsons have brought along a walking version of their chicken nuggets (hence also the Lawsons uniform on the Tokyo mascot).

20. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  21. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    300 Yen for a bag of nuggets :)

22. CND_MARINO

CND_MARINO Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Ontario
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Make the connections :D p.s. my wife ordered it honest!!

Majster2 repped this.
  23. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    anyone has a picture of Blaublitz's mascot in live?

I only saw this awsome picture of it

[​IMG]

24. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    http://blaublitz.jp/whatsnew/4144.html

Blaublitz's mascott is Blaugon.

Those two characters are Namahage (the red one is called jiji-namahage and blue one baba-namahage). A part of Akita's folklore.

25. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Can you also translate this Majster2

TDKサッカー部クラブ化実行委員会が一般公募し、にかほ市の女性のものが採用された。「ブラウ」はドイツ語で「青」、ブリッツは「稲妻」の意味である。
    エンブレムは、TDKサッカー部の魂を受け継ぐ形で形は変わらず、中に秋田の象徴なまはげと稲妻(ブリッツ)をとり入れた。

or at leats why they have a german name of a team?

p.s. too bad those two arent the mascot. That bastard kid with his drawing :p