Jürgen Klinsmann vs Bruce Arena ?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Clad, Sep 30, 2017.

?

Who would have be better for the 2018 World Cup in your opinion?

1. Jürgen Klinsmann

35.1%
  2. Bruce Arena

64.9%
  1. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is arrogance to wonder how Jurgen could have been deceived by magic tricks...than I am arrogant. no possible explanation flatters Klinsmann, but the least arrogant I could come up with is that he is poorly educated. want more arrogant? he is naturally stupid?

2. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Did you notice on his graphic they didn't even mention his 2016-17 tenure, LOL? Just listed him as being in charge in 2002 and 2006!

3. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I HOPE you are trolling..............

But I don't think you are.......

4. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I write for myself. Couldn't possibly care less about replies unless they advance the conversation or challenge my position...and your reply does neither. cheers :)

5. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Good. Continue writing for yerself then...... and we can ignore your inanities.

6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's one completely insane way to look at it, I suppose.

7. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    better to ignore me than call me a troll. in my book.

8. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #133 RoyalYank, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    insane like a FOX. :)

9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I wasn't so much interested in "others thoughts on the game," but rather to what degree ESPN covered this friendly given they didn't have the broadcast rights. Hence my question. The way the game is covered is an interesting part of the culture. Sorry for upsetting your mod-wannabe tendencies with the aside, but generally these forums are pretty lenient regarding multiple conversation branches in one topic.

10. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    I don't ignore anyone. And as you said, I call 'em like I see 'em and you are either a troll or have a schtick. No one could be as idiotic as you try to appear on here.

laxcoach repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You should start a poll on that. I know I can’t think of a time I’ve ever enjoyed listening to him in the last 20+ years.

laxcoach repped this.
  12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    That’s an interesting topic. I don’t watch sport center or the full ESPNFC show, so have no idea. I didn’t find anything in a quick search on their website.

I have no desire to moderate this place and strongly suggested to mods of USMN&A that they enforce rules when it was impossible to discuss games because all anyone did was bash Klinsmann or go on a rant about how great LD was (btw, there tangent on that now in thread suggesting JJ was always under rated). I guess that is why I’d be annoyed when someone all of sudden wants to discuss possibly the least important soccer game in US soccer in a thread discussing the coach who completely dismantled a group of players who were more than capable of qualifying for the World Cup, then had the nerve to go on tv and say all the things he did.

Arena’s views and comments ignore our problems and are detriment/obstacle to solving them. The only thing he offered about soccer in the US is that we could do better at some things.

juveeer repped this.
  13. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your opinion is valuable to us please stay on the line.

TOAzer repped this.
  14. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, like I said, I see tangents all the time in these forums. I didn't think it was a big deal to comment on the video that was posted, even if my comment didn't directly reference Klinsi vs. Arena. Generally adults can realize a side issue does not make for the eradication of an existing topic. Plus, not like there's a lack of space around here to rail against Arena and/or defend Klinsmann, if that is your primary point of interest.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not big deal... it also, seems like you are getting my point, which isn’t a big deal either. Let’s just drop it.

16. RoyalYank

RoyalYank Member

DCUnited
    United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Alexandria, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe skip the poll and just watch 35 seconds?

17. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I think it's impossible for you to sink any lower THHF, you always prove me wrong. Citing Craig Burnley unironically? Really? Do you think we're that stupid?

TOAzer repped this.
  18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    #143 bsky22, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    I’ll see your rah rah speech before a game and raise you an incredibly awkward Facebook Q&A. I couldn’t find the one I wanted, but this will do with Him stammering along and saying some incredibly silly things.

https://www.facebook.com/officialussoccer/videos/vb.32421823940/10154542342333941/?type=2&theater

Edit: link not working. Try this one https://www.google.com/search?q=bru...book&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Click the first one which 16:00 and looks like in an office and the #fanfriday one with him in a v-neck sweater (I think first was the one I wanted and second is the one I described above)...

19. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2002? Really? He probably didn't even wear Depends back then.

Relevance clearly varies in the eye of the beholder.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Herc: "Am I not getting fired.... I hear crickets!"
    Max: "These are unique times my friend, so we shall see."

Hilarious. Makes you wonder how many of our analysts are going to have slim pickings this cycle.

Master O repped this.
  21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I just posted this in another thread in response to discussing points in the Hex, but it belonged better here or in a thread dedicated to Arena... if comparing Arena and Klinsmann for this Hex, I think it is pretty clear where the majority of the blame should go.

Since 2002, we had beaten Mexico (tied them in Foxboro in ‘98) at home and lost to Costa Rica on the road. Those lost 3 points wouldn’t have been an issue if he hadn’t been fired or Arena wouldn’t have completely failed.

His 13 points in the remaining 8 games was worse than any other period since the Hex was created. If he would have matched the worst over that period, we would have been going to the World Cup (14 in 2002 with Arena in charge).

1998: 16
    2002: 14 (including a loss at home to Honduras)
    2006: 19
    2010: 17
    2014: 19

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Big "if" from a coach who was making a habit of breaking positive streaks on home soil. I wasn't calling for Klinsi to be fired, but in no way did I feel confident he would get full points at home after the Mexico loss.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Too little (Arena wasn't the ideal coach, but the only choice left at that point) too late (Klinsmann should have gone after the Gold Cup and then maybe someone better than Arena would have taken the load).

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He was also a coach who has a history of turning things around after poor performances. He might have lost another game at home, but also might not have played scared on the road, hoping for draws (such an old, over rated strategy).

Not sure why the Mexico game would cause such an impact on your confidence... we lost a goal on a late corner after a very poor start against the best team in the region.

Arena never brought the things that people claimed. The defense nor the rest of the team looked comfortable. The players might have know their roles but they didn’t execute. Even with his dismantling the team and ignoring the Euro based players, he got 12 points. His additions and moving guys further up the depth chart was a big drop off in talent. Villafana and Zusi were way to slow, Nagbe lack of imitative killed our midfield against the better teams and even lesser ones, and Gonzalez should have never gotten the minutes they got. It’s hard to see those guys as more talented, experienced, and better fit for the team than FJ, JJ, Chandler, and Cameron, but yet all of the first three were available and not called in and Cameron was on the bench with qualifying on the line. It should never have come to that, the last game was the sign of a coach limiting the talent he had to work with.

Besides, the four mentioned above, we would have probably had Miazga and Hyndman added in the spring and McKennie and CCV probably would have been called in after breaking through this season. No idea if any of them would have made a difference, but there would have been more competition and the complacency and arrogance we saw, wouldn’t have existed.

We should probably ignore this and focus on the low point in US Soccer... the 2015 Gold Cup!