IU Hoosiers 2019

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by BigRedFootie, Feb 3, 2019.

1. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Ugh. Of course, we went to OT. But this time we couldn't score. We were outshot and only forced one save. One SOG in 110 minutes is not going to get us very far this year. We need to up our (offensive) game, period.

We were also outfouled. SU fouled 23 times compared to our 12. They also received five yellow cards. This is becoming customary in our games. Perhaps, while we are losing games because we can't score, we can console ourselves in that we are leading the country in opponents' yellow card totals.

The real test will be against ND next Tuesday.

BRF

2. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    As Chronic Hoosier would say, "It's game day, b!tches!" Hoping that the 10 day respite gives our young team time to gel. Because of the vagaries of the NCAA schedule, they only had about 10 total practice days from the start (8/14) of the season through their game w/ Seattle, their 7th including exhibition games.

3. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Shades of 2016 (7 draws) & 2017 (6 draws). Another OT, another draw. However, I'd say we looked better even if the result wasn't satisfying. Once again, we outshot ND, 25-8 (8-3 SOG), forcing ND's HUGE GK to make 7 saves. He is really good - big, quick, decisive. I see a lot of clean sheets in ND's future.

At times our D looked shaky. It appeared that our D just went to sleep on ND's goal.

Again, we were out-fouled, 17-4 w/ 2 yellows for ND. This game, though was much cleaner and the fouls were less violent than some of the previous games. Part of that was due to the Center's game management - he did a very good job.

We still have yet to lead for a single minute this season.

BRF

TimB4Last repped this.
  4. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Quick addendum - now I know why the IU players appeared to stop playing:
    upload_2019-9-18_8-20-41.png
    No excuse, tho, you play until the whistle.

Of course, it could be argued that part of the ball was still over the line:
    [​IMG]

TimB4Last repped this.
  5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    On ND's goal, it looked like our defenders thought the ball was out and quit tracking their runners. That's why he had a wide-open tap in.

EDIT: I see you found the screen shot. It was really hard to tell from the video on BTN, but you're right. You play until you hear the whistle. That's something I'm working with my 12Us on.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    One other thing - the ball in this frame is on the ground, so it's possible it's all the way out. OTOH, I can imagine that neither referee would have had a good look at the ball at that moment.

7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    The ball is definitely in...

8. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    IU 3 - UW 1. Decent game against an out-manned opponent. I feel bad for Trask. UW has lost three of its best players, but gave it their best effort. As is our custom, we let them score on a set piece - nice header from a free kick or corner (can't remember). They also bounced another off the woodwork.

Nevertheless, our offense showed improvement and our depth is a plus. It was nice to see Wittenbrink back on the pitch.

Two firsts for this season: we had a lead and didn't go to OT!

BRF

TimB4Last repped this.
  9. DFLion

DFLion New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Greenwood
    UW goal was in the run of play from cross on the right side with no defender within several yards to center of the box.

10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    IU @ Butler is streaming on Butler Athletics' youtube feed. Just kicked off.

11. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    ...and we drop out of the undefeated category. We did (or didn't do) things that one would expect of a young team. We dominated early. Glass bounced a long shot off the woodwork. We won a PK, but Butler's Italian GK made an excellent save. He recorded a few more nice saves in the ensuing minutes.

Against the run of play, Butler hit a ball over the top and we didn't handle it well. Kleyn tried to head the ball back to Caulfield, but didn't get much of the ball. A Butler forward ran on to it and slotted it home. At that point momentum completely changed and Butler was the better team. They were first to the ball and stymied our offense with good tackles. They got a second goal and the wind went out of our sails.

We FINALLY started playing with the intensity that I'd like to see with about 15 minutes left. Lots of pressure and possession which resulted in our goal. Alas, it was too little too late. We ran out of time.

This was our first true away game. I hope we don't play this way in the others. I think another factor that contributed to our loss was that this was the first time we played a real game on field turf. I don't like it. The ball still bounces too much. Well, back to the friendly confines of Yeagley Field, if only briefly.

BRF

TimB4Last and stphnsn repped this.
  12. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Whew. The Sac State game was tight. We're a little nicked up right now. Bezerra didn't play and a few other guys are still out. We rearranged our back line, inserting Munie alongside Maher in the center, moving Kleyn to right back, and pushing Waever up to right mid. I think we're better defensively like that and I like the idea of having more mids to sub so that they're fresh. Goumballe had some good minutes.

Two big away B1G games coming up, followed by UK at home.

13. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Good win last night at Northwestern. We were given a couple goals, the second of which broke NW's back. Their goal was a beauty. It looks like Penn State will be a big test on Sunday.

Our freshmen are a lot of fun to watch. There are some real players in this class.

TimB4Last and BigRedFootie repped this.
  14. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Well, we weren't "given" the goals - they were the result of intense pressure. I agree that many of our freshmen are very good. I think they figured out that our best attacks come from the flanks, especially by Endeley and Penn.

I do think that we started a little slowly, but we came on like gangbusters later on. We eventually wore NU out and our players could sense it. Another thing I like was that, despite our 2 goal lead late in the game, we were pressing offensively, trying to score more goals rather than bunker. It paid off.

Still, we got beaten four or five times on our flanks and were lucky that one or two of them didn't end up as goals. Celentano, who started in goal (likely because he's from Chicago?) acquitted himself well, but he wasn't really tested other than by NU's goal by Achara. Nobody could have saved that goalaso.

I'm still trying to decide whether our strategy and conditioning has worn out our last two opponents or if they simply weren't quite fit enough.

Yes, PSU will be a little tougher.

TimB4Last repped this.
  15. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I guess I was wrong. 3-0 IU against PSU w/ 19min left in 1st half and PSU is down a man.

One reason might be that Ahlinvi is now eligible to play. He scored the 1st goal.

16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    After hustling and raining down on PSU to go up 3-0, we more than took the foot off the gas. PSU got a nice goal and we didn't really learn from that. We should've done much better in the 2nd half. Still, an away W and alone in first plac in the B1G.

Now, another big test, UK.

stphnsn and WolverineFutbol repped this.
  17. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Congrats. IU definitely is in the driver’s seat early.

BigRedFootie repped this.
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Todd's best coaching year so far, by far.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  19. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Perhaps. We have a lot of talent this year, more than last year, especially up top. Of course, what we don't have is all those experienced Jrs & Srs.

collegesoccer repped this.
  20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Talent takes you far; Experience comes through in tough times.

21. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Tough times are a comin'! UK & Md come to mind.

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I was really thinking tournament time where is lose and go home.

23. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yes, but these games will go a long way to helping our (ailing) RPI!

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  24. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Two tough opponents, two okay results. UK has a tough team. I'd swear I was watching a Bobby Clark-coached ND team. The 0-0 draw was a fair result.

UM was also tough, but we managed more dangerous activity in front of their goal. Of course, so did they. We were lucky not to give up a goal on a nice flurry in front of our net w/ Maher eventually heading the ball over the goal line. Glass' goal was pure quality. We were right behind him when he unleashed it. He put the ball inside a 1' x 2' window.

No rest for the weary. On the road again...to Md.

stphnsn repped this.
  25. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    In the last week we've had games on BTN, espnU, and FS1. What a time to be alive.

BigRedFootie and JoeSoccerFan repped this.