IU Hoosiers 2018

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by stphnsn, Jan 6, 2018.

1. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
  2. DFLion

DFLion New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Greenwood
    The camera angle was from midfield so you cannot clearly determine offside from that angle. Also, cannot clearly see if #2 in red touched the ball. I know that he was given an assist but the official scorer decided that, not the referee. If #2 did not touch the ball, then it could not have been offsides.

3. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    The forward was clearly offsides when #5 on Indiana headed the ball. Whether it deflected off the ND player or hit off #2 doesnt matter because it was not a deliberate play by the defender. You can clearly see the indiana forward standing on the line and plenty of space between the line and the last ND defender if you slow down and pause the video. I have no horse in this race and the outcome won't change, but you can't objective say he was onsides.

4. DFLion

DFLion New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Greenwood
    I am saying that offsides can only be judged from the view of the next to last defender, not from midfield.

5. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    I just ran it back 6 times. None of our players touched the ball off the corner. The corner bounced off the defender and Rennicks put it in. Neither Mehl (5) nor Klein (2) touched the ball. Good goal. AND excellent officiating.
    I just ran it back 6 times. None of our players touched the ball off the corner. The corner bounced off the defender and Rennicks put it in. Neither Mehl (5) nor Klein (2) touched the ball. Good goal. AND excellent officiating.

6. DFLion

DFLion New Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Greenwood
    Agreed. Thank you. #5 Mehl clearly did not touch it and #2 Klein was doubtful so if they did not touch it, then it could not have been offsides.

7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    3-1 win on the road at wisconsin. i only watched the final 40 minutes or so, but it looked like a pretty comprehensive performance excluding the scramble in the box that led to their goal.

8. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Yeah, Gutman is having a true IU senior year.

9. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    As expected, IU beat up a little on UE, 5-0. IU had a patchwork lineup due to dings and resting players. Despite this, we were able to beat UE on the wings and get dangerous crosses in (always on the ground). The combo of Swartz, Gutman, and Glass (or anybody) on the left was lethal. UE had no solution to them. We subbed early and often and for a while looked unorganized - but who wouldn't?

A few notes. Gutman is one of the most competitive players I've seen. I was very close to him in the second half when the score was 4-0. I swear he wanted another 5 goals. Rennicks is starting to flourish in his 9 position. I can see glimpses of why they like him so much. He can turn his defender in an instant - and then he's gone. Palozzolo is a player everyone wants on their team. He'll play anywhere the coaches want him to and...he scores goals! He reminds me of Pat "Mr. November" Yates, who did the same thing.

Back to the B1G for a couple. I don't want to look too far ahead, but the Kentucky game is going to be big.

BRF

P.S. I was watching a game on WatchESPN (think it was L'ville) and who should I see reffing in the center? Chico Grajeda o_O I swear he was supposed to retire after his (crappy) appearance at the College Cup final last year.

stphnsn and BtownKj repped this.
  10. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've been following the team this year via twitter. I'm finally stationed back in the states so I'm hoping I can find a way to watch a few games if not make it back home to Bloomington sometime to see a match.

Does anyone know of any way to get an IU soccer jersey? I've been after an adidias one for years now but never been able to get one since they dont release them to the public. I havent seen them sold on any of the surplus sales either.

11. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    welcome back. no, you can't buy the jerseys. i thought about getting a custom one made a few years ago, but now i don't know if that's possible with the stripe template they're using. i sent my brother to check out the surplus sale in the spring, and they didn't have any soccer gear available there either. i decided to quit worrying about it. i'll have to wait to get one when my daughter (currently a 2U) plays.

BtownKj and BigRedFootie repped this.
  12. BtownKj

BtownKj Member

Italy
    Jul 15, 2006
    South Korea
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was fortunate to find a Hoosiers custom T-shirt site the school had days before they shut it down and was able to get this made earlier this year.

31A974E4-83F5-4D6E-8680-AD09B9E5FB17.jpeg

stphnsn repped this.
  13. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    IU's home game against Northwestern has been postponed until tomorrow, Wed 9/26, at 7pm. Unfortunately, that means no BTN.

WolverineFutbol repped this.
  14. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    So far the Michigan-Ohio State game is still on, but inclement weather may change that. On ESPNU at 7:00. Go Blue!

Real Mobile repped this.
  15. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Watching the lightning delay as I write. 1-0 UM.

16. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    No rain in B'ton since they announced the postponement.

17. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    we left it late against NW, but dorsey bagged the winner for a 2-1 result.

sunday's forecast looks great for the penn state game. we may bring our baby girl down for her first trip to IU. i know she won't sit still to watch the game though so i'll spend the 90 minutes chasing her. is 5 hours in the car plus 2 hours of chasing worth the trip? if you add mother bear's pizza to the equation, i think that tips the scale toward yes.

18. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Don't forget the tailgate in the Fee Lane parking lot next to Armstrong.

stphnsn repped this.
  19. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Have you considered paying a college kid to watch her during the match - say $10-20. Worth it?

stphnsn repped this.
  20. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Well, we won the NW game, but it was less than pretty. We dominated early, finally scoring the first goal - a nice one by Rennicks. Then we took the foot off the gas. Actually, that's being charitable. We put it in park - and we paid for it. NW was ready to give up, but we didn't put them away. They scored a goal from a scrum in front of the net and that breathed new life into them. Fortunately, we scored another and came away with the win - and not in OT! Not our best performance.

BRF

stphnsn repped this.
  21. Any news on Gutman not starting today?

22. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Nope - that's something you don't ask of the coaches.

It's not impossible that they left him out to rest him and play some others. Glass did well in his stead. Swartz didn't start, either, although he came in and played quite a bit.

It is generally understood that the team doesn't play well on parents' weekend, nor do they play well early. It looked like this game would be no different. We started extremely slowly, but we started to develop our offense late in the first half. Nice goal from 3 (normally) non-starters, a cross from Glass, a nod on by Black, and the finish by Panchot. The second goal in the 2nd half saw an awesome almost 60-yd cross by Glass to his right back counterpart, Buckmaster, who made a great run and finished well.

On to battle UK. Important game!

BRF

willydonc repped this.
  23. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    #73 BigRedFootie, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Horrible showing tonight. We came out slow and apathetic and deservedly went down 1-0 because nobody was interested in marking UK's forward. From that point on we were chasing the game and it went downhill from there. It didn't help that UK has some very athletic players who actually give a sh!t and play hard all game long.

Hard to say who played worse, it really is. Nobody looked effective. Muse actually had a pretty good game, making some very nice saves, although the score didn't reflect it.

Man. What a poor effort.

BRF

fknbuflobo and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  24. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i got home in time to catch the second half, but it wasn't worth watching. apathetic display. no sense of urgency. UK looked miles ahead of us last night. it looked like they had 15 guys on the field.

25. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IU very easily could have had the game 3-2. I'm not going to be as harsh as you guys. They weren't that far off.

UK's defense keeps them in every match. Tough to break down. Their goalkeeper, Enrique Facusse, is quietly becoming one of the best goalkeepers in college soccer, IMO. I actually rate him higher than Muse.

Undeserving foul call for the second goal, I believe. Looked like a clean tackle. CR was right there though, maybe he saw something else?

BigRedFootie repped this.