It'sa me Matteo! - The Darmian Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by JamesA, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Darmian is a fine squad man, but except for just a couple of appearances at the very beginning of his United career he's been fairly anonymous. Sometimes pretty bad, usually just ok. Good enough to make the bench but not good enough to beat a converted winger for the job at RB and offers far too little going forward to be our first choice at LB.

I can hear it now...Darmian's play has suffered because of how Memphis was mistreated by both Van Gaal and Mourinho, right?

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    #102 Teso Dos Bichos, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Darmian was our player of the month when he first arrived then he adapted to our style of play and went downhill. Having Mata ahead of him has definitely not helped. Did you ever watch him for Italy or Torino?

sdotsom and Gilma1990 repped this.
  3. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darmian was sabotaged by LVG

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A pity he has not been able to sustain his Torino and early United form. Not having a viable option in front of him really. As things stand, he's clearly still more effective on the right than he is on the left and until the end of the season, he really should be Valencia's stand in at RB.
    Still would like to keep him beyond this season, with the hopes a viable option on the right flank is brought in and the real Darmian returns.

5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i doubt he stays given he is 27 now, he'll probably want regular game time but who knows. he hasn't really complained about the situation but we'll see

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll leave as well. His current status has hurt him with the national team. And that should be enough of an incentive to leave. Wanting him to stay is definitely more in the realm of wishful thinking at this point.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't rather him be a backup than a starter. I hope he can find some form next year. He's useful as he can play both FB spots, but he has GOT to add something going forward.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    he won't, or rather he can't. he'll be mourinho's 3rd defensive full back.. and that's ok.

johno repped this.
  10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm ok with a guy who stays at home 85% of attacks. But there are opportunities for an incisive overlap 2 or 3 times a half that can lead to real opportunities and also give the other team pause when attacking.

Even Jose's stay at home RB at Chelsea (Bane) was a threat going forward.

J'can repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darmian got married today to hs long term gf, congratulations to him. Schneid, along with his lady were in attendance.

jnielsen, Gilma1990 and benni... repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sdotsom repped this.
  13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    www.eplindex.com/80418/manchester-united-cannot-afford-sell-darmian-summer.html

With Shaw not available to start the season, Jose will have to turn to Darmian as his first choice LB. And even when Shaw does return, Darmian will still get more than enough opportunities. But he is as good an insurance policy there is, not just at LB, but pretty much anywhere across the back, should circumstances dictate it.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #117 Ashur, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    A player badly overlooked by managers and fans alike (Mourinho despite his BS about him being his "reliable" man hardly ever played him). He has shown this season that he can trusted as a backup option and is one of the best pure defenders we have.
    Being able to play anywhere across the back makes him all the more valuable as a squad man. And if he's fine with that role, here's hoping he stays beyond this summer.
    This was actually one of Woodward's smart moves, in not accepting a pittance for him. And with how short we are supposed to be at FB, it's all the more reasons to try and hold onto him.

18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Depth is never a bad thing and if he won't push for a transfer than he is good to have around. Maybe we sell Tony V in the summer and promote him to back-up on the right, with Dalot first choice.

19. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think part of his problem here has been that he's a square peg in a round hole as far as the squad is concerned. He's a defensive-minded RB. The two most important factors to best utilize a defensive minded FB on one side is to first have a FB on the other side who is a big attacking threat so that you can play with a slightly lopsided back 3/back 4 hybrid where one FB plays like a hybrid CB and the other like a hybrid WB (Chelsea often have this dynamic with Azpilcueta and Alonso, acknowledging that Azpilcueta is still much better going forward that Darmian). The second way is to have an attacker who likes to stay wide on that side so that the FB isn't needed as much to fill that space in possession.

During Darmian's time here we haven't ever achieved either of those - we've had consistently weak attacking play from LB and the right-sided attacking play has been a consistent black hole filled exclusively with players who prefer to move central from that spot. I still like him but I think he's best used as a RCB in a back 3 or as a RB opposite a very aggressive LB in an unbalanced back 4 as discussed and as I don't see either of those coming to pass here I don't think we'll ever see his best.

Sofabloke and Deadtigers repped this.
  20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That sounds good in theory. I think however that he's not a defensive fullback. He played wingback. I think he's just broken by lack of playing time and confidence.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and benni... repped this.
  21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    agreed. he was fine going forward at Torino

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Di Marzio, there is no real concrete interest from either Juve or Inter, and it does not look he'll leave this month. Pretty much confirms Ole's recent claims that there would be no movement this month.
    La Gazetto also made it look like he was available in the cheao, which did not really make sense in itself, since they held out for their set price all summer.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guessing we'll be in for another "will he or won't he" leave the club this summer. If he does leave, then so be it but as far as I'm concerned, there are plenty of other players I'd rather get rid of before him (defenders especially). We'll see what happens there, I guess.
    Sidenote, Darmian looks like Tom Holland's big brother in that interview...

24. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Despite how poorly his time has gone here, he has handled it with the utmost professionalism.

jnielsen repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #125 Ashur, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    [​IMG]
    Going for £1mil or thereabouts according to reports.