It's time to crack down on Hooligans - In Baseball

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Bill Archer, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    You forgot football as well.

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It's all well and good to point this case out, but the fact is that people die all the time in soccer violence yet almost never in other sports. I love soccer, but violence associated with the sport is a real problem. And please don't say that it's because soccer is more popular. Baseball attracts well over 100 million spectators worldwide each year without any fatalities. Tens of millions attend basketball. Soccer has a real problem that needs to be addressed.

4. Preston McMurry

Preston McMurry New Member

Jul 28, 1999
    Earth
    Soccer does not have a problem that needs to be addressed: People have a problem that needs to be addressed. But since that problem is ingrained, the nature that defines us, it cannot be changed. We are violent. Always have been; always will be.

5. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey McMurry,

Don't you have a horse to mount? The dollar value is comparable of idiosyncrasy and consession. One takes full ventage, when seeing Hyperbolas' and wondering how to screw a head on straight! Our mediocre mediacy endeavor by embellishments.

6. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    If you are dumb enough to believe the problem is soccer you need your head examined. The problem is the people, not the sport. In many countries soccer is about the only social outlet that exists. It therefore takes on much more significance than it should. And therein lies the real problem. You don't see too many "hooligan" deaths in the States do you? And you don't see too many soccer fans in the States wondering where the hell they'll be getting their next meal either or wondering if they'll be able to find a job again soon. Coincidence? I think not.

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    You mean soccer doesn't kill people, people kill people? Gosh, I never thought of that.

Violence has become a part of soccer culture and the idea that it has something to do with poverty is ludicrous given that much of the violence is in Europe where very few are "wondering where they'll get their next meal." Certainly less than in the USA.

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got beer?

Gentlemen,

Perhaps beer has some input on hooligans, regardless of the sport. The ballparks serve up courage in a glass.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I actually agree. The thing is, though, that violence isn't just a part of soccer culture, it's a part of culture. And in Europe the culture of violence has crossed path with sports culture in ways it hasn't here. Imagine NFL games if fandom was a regular part of life for the typical chapter of, say, Hell's Angels.

In other words, much of European hooligan culture is similar to US "gang culture" in terms of turf wars, colors, etc.

10. Metro

Metro New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Dallas
    Re: Got beer?

Definitely...Euro 2000 vendors/promoters served beer with lower alcohol content in an attempt to reduce hooliganism.

I've only been to a few baseball games in my life. In each I witnessed a fight in the stands. Fights between players on the field are common.

A fight broke out in the stands on Monday Night Football a couple weeks ago and they were subdued with tear gas or something.

Fights occur in all sports all the time (on and off the field), except for maybe cricket and golf. I'm not sure if someone was killed at an event. You can bet someone was killed outside the stadium after a game somewhere, sometime. It just doesn't always make the news.

Some people are just iceholes and like to fight.

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    True...!
    In the late 50’s and early 60’s we had the “Mods” and the “Rockers.” Every summer these two fun groups would meet (Arranged by word of mouth) in some resort town for a friendly get together…!!!
    One such encounter enjoyed the media title of “The Battle of Hastings part II”
    Literally hundred of these fun loving people wearing their steel capped boots and carrying bicycle chains would terrorize a town and each other before the local police could pull in reinforcements. The police finally did put an end to this.

So they discovered “Football”
    They weren’t Football fans but they could remain anonymous in a crowd until they could “Do their thing” They would fight in the crowd, they would rip special football trains and busses apart.
    Then they found out how much fun it was to travel to a different country and kick the crap out of foreign supporters.

That my children is where the football hooligan came from….”The Bastards”…[​IMG]

12. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you type this in English, then translate it through babelfish a couple of times, then back into English?

13. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: It's time to crack down on Hooligans - In Baseball

I know the joke is on me, but could you be elaborating on babelfish? It would help the idiom, if that is what it is. I did, however; find baffle board.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: Got beer?

With the inter-continental rivalry nudging towards the ugly side, I wouldn't be surprised to see a brawl break out in this year's Ryder Cup.

15. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: It's time to crack down on Hooligans - In Baseball

babelfish.altavista.com

if you're not a native english speaker, i apologize.