It's over. AC is dead.

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by demunb, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Fan base? All of a couple hundred die hards....if that. I don't see a change coming in the FO at all. You have 3-4 guys that are already established. A new FO staff would mean they'll have no built in contacts.

I think it's almost getting too late to do anything for the 2011 season.

2. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another week, another... nothing. The corpse is getting too cold to reanimate.

3. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're running out of time. Even if there is a sale, the NASL must be putting the final touches on the schedule soon. I just don't se 2011 happening.

4. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Atlanta has already announced their opponent for the opener. I'm guessing the schedule is probably already set. Doesn't look good for AC. I would love to be able to go to AB Park to see the Silverbacks play AC.

5. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    If AC gets things together (and it looks like they won't), NASL will reorganize the schedule. They want every team they can get.

6. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes if AC pulls through they'll work out the schedule.

I doubt the schedule is 100% set in stone at this point. Tampa is still considering different venues for next year, so they'll have to be flexible with them.

When Miami FC nearly folded just before the 2009 season, we became aware that USL had several backup schedules ready to go in case one or two of the shakier teams went under. NASL may even already have a schedule made up that includes AC STL, ready for if they do indeed play.

7. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a good point. There probably are a few contingency plans. I'm just becoming less and less optimistic that something will be worked out.

8. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Cooper has NO investors. Woods is out. Let's move on.

9. Bend_it

Bend_it Member

Jun 13, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami FC CEO Aaron Davidson commented on the future of AC St. Louis today on the Feuerstein Fire podcast on MLS Talk. More on the NASL Fanatic....
    http://acstlfanatic.wordpress.com/

10. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

good interview Gerry. Wish the future looked better. I don't hold out much hope for a re-launch in 2012 either- unless one of the fans wins powerball.

11. wester_brad

wester_brad New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    St. Charles
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I win I'm putting it towards helping the Lions.

12. New_York_Cosmos

New_York_Cosmos Red Card

Nov 10, 2010
    Monza
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess AC is dead for real, they have taken logo out from nasl site....

13. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    It might just be that they are just not in the 2011 plans like Baltimore. hopefully both clubs can regroup by sometime before the 2012 season start.

14. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also removed Atlanta's logo from their website earlier this year, then put it back when it was announced they would return. If things somehow get worked out AC will play in 2011.

Right now things don't look good for AC, but I think every other decent soccer fan in the US and Canada has their fingers crossed for them to return, if not in 2011 then in 2012. St. Louis is a quality soccer market that had great potential, and not unlike Austin, it'll be a damn shame to see them go away.

15. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've pretty much resigned ourselves to having lost them.

We're moving on to the St. Louis Lions and Illinois Piasa.

16. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, Baltimore FC has stepped up and said that they can't do it this season and intend to come back in 2012. I have to respect that. Its about time that AC STL levels with us and says the same. We've all heard rumors that the Woods deal is off and that was really the only lifeline in the water. The supposed "drop dead date" was Dec 1st. So what now? The club has essentially said nothing since the end of the season, save for a denial of another blog's story or two. The longer they say nothing the worse it looks. Do they think we won't notice or will forget about our team? Do they plan on just fading into the shadows? I imagine we'll just get a press release one of these days that just says "we're done".

17. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't imagine you'll get anything until someone from the press or the blogosphere calls them out again.

18. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which has been a problem all along with this club. They are reactionary instead of proactive. They could spin all of these things in a much more positive light but they never plan ahead. They wait until someone else points out something and then they trip over themselves to respond.

If they made a strong statement (whether its true or not) that they were taking a season off to regroup and plan on coming back stronger in 2012 that could be done positively. If they remain silent and let stories leak out like they released their players it looks terrible. Then their press release denials of the blog ring hollow- especially when players tell us what happened in the meeting.

19. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    They're not going to make a strong statement. This organization has yet to do so, even at the beginning. They chose never to market this team and do it on the cheap.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Ambersley signs with FC Tampa Bay. Looks like those rumors of players being released from their contracts with AC were true.

It's a shame Traffic did not prop up AC like it's doing with Atlanta, Carolina & Minnesota.

Is anyone still employed by AC at this point?

22. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

technically there are still some employees of the club. all players were allowed to negotiate with any other teams. No official word from the club, but some individuals that work for the club have stated that they are hopeful for a return in 2012. I am doubtful.

23. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. In the course of a year, we go from three teams in a summer to one amateur one. For being this "great soccer town", STL is a really crappy soccer town, at least in 2011.

24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Crappy investors to me

25. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team: