It's Official: USA vs. El Salvador, RFK, 11/17, 3PM ET

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Atouk, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=22864&itype=

The United States Men's National Team will return to international action on Sunday, November 17, as they welcome El Salvador to RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. Kickoff is set for 3:00 p.m. ET, and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN. The United States has not faced an international opponent since the team’s historic quarterfinal finish at the 2002 FIFA World Cup in June. The team will train in the Washington, D.C. area beginning Nov. 11.

2. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info. :)

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    damn, i will be outta the country...

you think this will be televised in france ;)

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally. Been a long time since the Germany match.

5. Ubiquitous One

Ubiquitous One New Member

Aug 4, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 quick addendums:
    1) There is no reason why any self-respecting U.S. Soccer fan within a four-hour radius shouldn't be at this match.
    2) D.C. can be rather cold in mid-November, which should adversely affect the El Salvadorans (Come to think of it, Donovan, Mathis, and McBride will also be adversely affecting the El Salvadors).

6. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    70% of the crowd will support El Salvador, 20% the US and the other 10% will be just confused.....

US lineup will look something like this

---------- Howard ----------
    Barrett --- Pope ---- Llamosa ---- Martinez
    Beasley ----- Donovan ----- Olson ---- Ralston
    ------ Twellman ------ Mathis/Mcbride

7. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Two guys I would like to see included are:

Carlos Bocanegra
    Mark Chung

8. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
    I'm telling you, look out for Adin Brown in the near future. He's got skill!

SUPAH REVOLUTION!!

9. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Chung pretty much quit international soccer at one point. I seem to remember reading about him turning down some chances to play for the US.

10. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - what's his story? Does he fit in the "overlooked/rightfully upset category" category with Ralston or what?

His MLS profile had this to say:
    "Has made 24 appearances with the Unites States National Team, with two goals…A current member of the U.S. National Team player pool… Earned his first cap at age 21 against Costa Rica in San Jose, California on February 12, 1992…Scored a pair of goals in a 8-1 win over the Cayman Islands in Mission Viejo, California on November 14, 1993…National Team was 6-8-10 with Chung in the lineup…14 of his caps came during the 1993 year as the United States prepared to host the World Cup"

Him, Ralston, and Henderson are solid players. It's a shame they haven't had more of a chance.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I will be posting La Norte ticket info as soon as I have it.

Sachin

12. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Pretty sure the reason Chung hasn't been called up has been because he doesn't want to be. Bruce tried everybody, remember Henry Gutierrez and Billy Walsh against Jamaica???

I'm pretty sure Chung just turned the call ups down.

13. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Well maybe Chung will change his mind now that our national team boys made some good $$$$ in Korea.

One dude I forgot in the lineups was Pablo Mastroeni. I am sure he will get a callup unless he is off on a trial in Europe. I think the team will be all MLS players + a couple of college players.

14. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    One more thing, will the Goos get the call from Arena. They are buddies and the Goos does deserve a fairwell game from the national team. How about making this game a farewell to the Goos, Harkes, and Ramos.

Also does Lalas deserve a callup. I know he is old and slow, but you got to agree that he had a nice year in LA. He was aggressive on the offensive side and played good D.

15. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the Henderson with 79 caps? He's hardly been given a chance! ;)

(yes, I know his last one was at RFK in the Honduras qualifier last September).

16. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh? Is there a college guy out there that deserves a callup ahead of MLS guys? I think you're dreaming a bit on that one.

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would guess Adin Brown will get a call. He was the next hot keeper at the U-23 level then slipped with injuries and loss of form. But he is playing absolutely fantastically now. I would think Howard and Brown get the nod.

18. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Six from REV. Twellman, Ralston, Brown, Hernandez, Cullen, Franchino.

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Socceranerica is reporting, in the MLS Confidential, that Adin Brown is getting called in.

20. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    from watching el salvador play against mexico in the gold cup i can already tell this will be a boring game.

the ussf was only after the money when it comes to this game (it will attract central americans) but this team will be of no challege to the u.s nt.

21. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Do you think Mexico is a challenge for us?

LOL.

When we have to put some unskillful players there, they may have a chance. But right now, when we begun to fill every single position with skillful players, they will be in a long nightmare.

22. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    I would be surprised if Brown plays.

Rumor has it he's been playing the last month or so on a stress fracture in his foot (which makes his accomplishments all that more impressive). I read he was hoping to rest it after the end of the MLS season, although I could see how he might want to play in this game.

23. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    who cares,,i say the USSF can get some quick cash out of ES ticket sales,,,,,save the real venues for WCQ

24. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Oh god, not Mark Chung again. He's a wing player who is slow and who can't cross and is dispossessed easily. I don't think he's international class.

25. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Add Ryan Suarez to the list. He was invited to several camps before the World Cup but was always injured. He had size, pace and just the right amount of attitude to win a starting job.

He has accepted an invitation to join the squad for training prior to the match.