It's official! Drew Carey part owner of Seattle Team (and Seattle rally notes)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by gregro, Nov 12, 2007.

1. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention- TPIR is on another fkn network!

3. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the beginning of tonight's Sea-SF telecast, I think the football announcers mentioned, in connection with Drew Carey, the new Seattle MLS franchise at least four times. I think, for this to come in the middle of a nationally broadcast NFL game, Monday Night Football no less, is absolutely amazing!!

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: It's official! Drew Carey part owner of Seattle Team

Well, they talked about it in the booth tonight! :p :D And it seemed to make an impression on Kornheiser.

In all sincerity, I really believe that one of the ATH guys would reference it because it's a perfect smart ass remark for a discussion of Matt Millen or any other hapless GM.

5. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of people. Take away MLS, and you might have a small skirmish. Take away TPIR, and nursing homes and retirement communities nation wide wide revolt not unlike the day of the Bastille. I'm sure most stray dogs wouldn't mind though.

6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well so much for ABC "pimpin'" stuff it has a stake in----there was absolutely no mention that MLS Cup will be on ABC, and on top of that they spoke less than 2 seconds about the soccer team coming to Seattle.

Drew Carey went up to the booth and they mentioned that he was an owner of a new soccer franchise in Seattle and then Drew mentioned the fans would be able to buy into the club--he got absolutely no response from the booth guys. They then wasted the rest of the time he was in the booth (about 10 minutes) speaking about absolutely nothing--it was the tv version of making small talk. Then they said that his time was over--they thanked him for coming and wished him good luck with the soccer team.

Basically the 3 man booth of MNF took what was an important sports story for the local seattle area and treated it as less than an afterthought--actually they peed all over it. When this is how tv treats the league it invests in, then it is no wonder that the average joe thinks MLS is a "minor league sport." Anyone who tuned in late and missed drew carey's intro when he came to the 3 man booth, would have had no idea that there was a new MLS team in Seattle.

7. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

point acknowledged, but still...

The booth wasn't that interested. And the Packers could be used in that remark too. I'm sure most mention of MLS Seattle was because the game was in Seattle. If the game is anywhere else, no mention.

8. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know right. I mean, he's only the host of the #1 game show in America, has a couple other shows in syndication, has a second game show primetime, and two former castmembers now have their own weekly or nightly shows on network television; how often do you see him or his influence on tv?

It also wouldn't surprise me if the MNF crew said "hey, let's keep the MLS talk to a minimum." Look at who was in the booth. They don't seem like people that would be interested, and I'm sure the NFL wouldn't be too pleased with using MNF time to advertise a soccer league.

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear to God, some of you dumb bastards would complain if you were going to be hung with a new rope.

10. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Since the team isn't starting until 2009, maybe someone can convince Drew or one of the many other owners to replace the field turf with a newer version of field turf that is more soccer friendly and not as matted down.

11. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    bright, delete some Inbox stuff. I'm trying to reply to your message ;)

12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't you complain if you were going to be hung? :confused:

13. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did a better job interviewing Russell Crowe during Jacksonville's MNF game. I expected better than this.

I don't blame him. The MNF commentators only mentioned how every one of Drew's Cleveland teams was having bad luck this year. Cleveland's bad luck is an uncomfortable topic for him.

Mike Tirico was the only one who touched on the Seattle MLS franchise. I'm sure that he wanted to build it up to mentioning Sunday's match, but Ron and Tony didn't cooperate.

14. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for sharing.

So because I am a Sounders fan I can't support Celtic?? WTF??? I Love my Celtic Jersey and the green hoops match my supporters scarf.

You have problem with that??.... ;)

Here's a present for ya! : )

[​IMG]

15. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jaws wouldn't know shit anyway. It is probably better he didn't comment.

16. JacksonJazz#9

JacksonJazz#9 Member

Dec 12, 2000
    Grand Ledge, Mich
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im hung... i dont complain.... neither does the Mrs.... :D

17. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    For those complaining about the marching band, I'm watching a re-run of Pompey vs Manchester City on FSC right now...

Look at it this way, Seattle could aways get rid of the Marching band and get this guy instead.....

[​IMG] :D

I like the idea of the marching band. Just like the guy ringing the bells in Portsmouth matches it will make Seattle matches instantly identifiable by sound.

18. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more cowbell!

19. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    I have to admit, the more I fall in love with this city, the more tempting it will be to buy into the Seattle MLS club. But I'd be strung up around these parts i'm sure. :p

Seriously though, congrats Seattle. I look forward to the first United vs Seattle match.

20. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to hear the Podcast of the interview on KJR with Drew Carey you fan go to the GoalSeattle.com Blog just scroll down to the links at the bottom of the page.

Enjoy!

21. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jade, I cannot stand you. I hate your Hmong dodgeball-esque posts, your dumb "rumors", and your frontrunning bull*.

However, if you were actually to get behind the grassroots Seattle Sounders movement, and drop the "X team for life act," drop the "this euro thing should happen," support and worry about your now-local team, and quit frontrunning, I'd personally have actually more respect for you, not less. Honestly.

*Sorry Seattle supporters :p :D

22. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. As a Cleveland die hard, I can attest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports-related_curses#Cleveland_Sports_Curse
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=tortured/cleveland
    We've been burnt too many times to get overly excited, but we will always follow, support, and root relentlessly for our teams. He's been iconic in his passion for them, and still follows them from afar and goes to their games when Cleveland is in LA.

I've gone over to soccer as well, but I'm a Cleveland sports fan. Regardless of his MLS love, he'll never let go of his Cleveland sports.

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

Many of the MLS teams have multiple owners. Some are limited partners in a LLP, while others may be a co-owner situation like Seattle or DC.

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    This isn't ownership. You get to join a club in return for discounts and some other stuff. Maybe the club organization gets some small percentage of ownership, but regular fans will have just as much power without a club membership as they will with it.

Sachin

25. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are free to support whoever you want, and i am free to point out that your local club is joining MLS and this day belongs to Seattle and you show up and go all over TV blasting your Celtic FC gear, i think thats funny. You know, on the day the Sounders are officially announced as a new MLS team instead of going and showing off your Sounder shirt you show up wearing some team from Glasgows stuff just because green hoops bring out your eyes. LOL

Congrats an all, don't want to take that from you, but i think you have your priorities backwards.