It's official: Berhalter hired

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bharreld, Nov 24, 2018.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This stat could be helpful getting rid of Bradley/Trapp if they choose to dig further into it. I'd start by adding how far forward or backward the ball is relative to the passer whether we maintain or lose possession.

“We came up with an idea to measure whether a pass kept possession or not, by counting if the pass was still in possession of the team after 10 seconds or within three passes after the pass was made,” he said. “This will give us a very easy way to track if a player is helping with the buildup of the game, and all the actions that kind of fall out of that scope but still are valuable."

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well sure, one of the best uses of stats is to challenge a bias. Now [he gingerly sticks his neck out just a little] maybe, just maybe you have a bias?

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

USSoccerNova and xbhaskarx repped this.
  4. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Stats also can confirm what people see with their eyes. If stats show these players are contributing in certain ways, I'd be more than willing to adjust my views. Unfortunately, we are unlikely to get access to this data, so we not of much use to us.

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a sad reflection on Lletget's prior coaches.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Let's hope it was intended as praise.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he says specifically that "the guys bought in".

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks. For some reason the link only takes me to a site that wants my email to sign me to some sort of newsletter.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Suyuntuy repped this.
  10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is what it is. At this stage the focus has to be on factually what is GB trying to do. At the end of the year (maybe after GC2019) we can hopefully see if the what was the correct decision.

"Sebastian is an interesting one because he's got a load of ability, a very good skill-set," said Berhalter. "He'll be the first to say he struggled with the structure a little bit in beginning [of training camp].

"I think it was part of his mentality to hang in there and keep going, keep learning, keep pushing himself that got him into these positions.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...ants-united-states-to-be-much-more-aggressive

Dr.Phil, bsky22 and tomásbernal repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Some key ideas from the above two articles.

* The teaching style is being evaluated just as much as the players. Maybe even more than the players. This is possibly Stewart's idea more than Berhalter's. I can't stress enough how important that is.

* the opponents are "right-sized" and will become progressively tougher. Again, this is as much a test of the system as of the players. Alternatively, this also keeps player confidence in the system at a high. I'm not sure if I like that angle.

* Players are evaluated for their buy-in and success in learning as much as their technical talent. This can be good but I can also see issues happening. That's why item #1 is so dang important.

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I'm quite interested to see how GB's team plays vs. Mexico and CR A teams in this year's Gold Cup.

Historically, we have done well at home vs. these teams in the Hex and I'd expect the same. I'm not sure if they're bringing A team and I don't think that Gold Cup is as intense as Hex but it'll be interesting to watch what we do.

Dos a cero, baby!

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    With no Confeds as the prize, I expect the GC to go down in quality overall.

Let's hope there's a Copa America 2020.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    FYI, John Strong shows a lot of soccer knowledge in the above podcast. A lot of good inside information.