It's official: Berhalter hired

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bharreld, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Seriously?

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Love to see a coach so open about his plan

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We are sinking to levels never before explored by mankind.

ayers and Bob Morocco repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Cheer up! Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

5. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair, we ban phones at the dinner table in my house also. It’s a good move to get people to talk to each other, especially teenagers

6. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really interested in knowing how much he has changed compared to his time at Columbus.

7. cgrussell

cgrussell Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I'm sorry, but what does this have to do with crossword puzzles?

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  8. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If one can watch a phonebook be ripped in half, then one can solve crosswords.

jackiesdad, Marko72 and TOAzer repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well read the bloody article.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "Trapp wars" are ridiculous.

He'll be playing in McKennie's role tomorrow.

11. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading the bloody article doesn't translate to watching it live.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you accusing Wil Trapp of being a SUM plant? Where is your proof?

After noticing the team administrator and other staffers were into USA TODAY's puzzles, midfielder Wil Trapp requested that the team get some copies printed out.

13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be obvious but at least he is learning!

"One thing I've learned is you have players coming from diverse environments. Some clubs, they play a certain way, other clubs another way, and it's getting them all together, getting them on the same page. I think it's more clear when you can tie into a common mission and you can get the guys focused on one philosophy. And to me, it's not just in one element. We're trying to do that in presentations, we're trying to do that in team-building activities, we're trying to do that in our training sessions," he said.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...t-match-vs-panama-chance-get-blueprint-future

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1114 Paul Berry, Jan 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Well I guess we'll know more in 24 hours after the the USMNT vs Panama domestic all-stars game.

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Xword puzzles are a bourgeoisie indulgence created as a salve to the worker’s alienation from the fruits of their labor. They corrupt the revolutionary spirit.

superdave, ayers, MarioKempes and 5 others repped this.
  16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I dont know if WTF90 is a suck up but definitely soft and not an international caliber.

Im not sure I would lump Howard in with other two. I'm looking forward, not backwards. I miss Jones and Dempsey, but more excited about Miazga, Adams, McKennie, Pulisic, Weah, Mendez, etc. It seems like all the kids have really embraced getting out of their comfort zones and pushing themselves to maximize their potential by playing at the highest level possible. I dont think we will see any of the complacency and softness that has been in the team for a long time and was especially on display that last two years.

jackiesdad and Winoman repped this.
  17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I dont recall to agreeing to anything about players that arent good enough.

Trapp has no business on our National team. There are many better options. It was clear watching him in MLS and all those games he captained last year. I think he is fringe player on this roster, which I'm not sure there is field player that would be in our starting XI.

18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Nice decision making and communication from Berhalter. I could see an argument that it is cruel to let Kelyn think he has a chance of having any real role with the team going forward.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds to me that he doesn't think Kellyn is strong/physical enough. This is something I mentioned (I think in this thread) earlier. Kellyn is extremely weak on the ball. He gets shoved around ad nauseum. That is one thing he surely has to work on.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He can work on it, but not skilled enough to play anywhere besides a 6/8 where there is a bunch of competition. Younger players of Adams and McKennie are already ahead of him and there are guys with our u20s that are pretty close already. At his age, Canouse is will likely always be a better dmid.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSoccerNova repped this.
  22. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    As the classic demotivational poster teaches us, "it's always darkest just before it goes pitch black!"

[​IMG]

TimB4Last repped this.
  23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    1089762473371226112 is not a valid tweet id

False fullback Lima

Bob Morocco and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  24. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  25. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I'm really glad we hired Berhalter and I'm glad he got the past year in Columbus, another season as a head coach under trying circumstances. Good for us. He helped save that club. That's more important for the National Team program's long term prospects, IMO, than showing off our shoulder sweaters and hot Tata Martino licks in some friendlies.

Because of the "lost generation" and the missed World Cup, we didn't miss out on a lot on 2018 by having Sarachan as placeholder for blooding a bunch of rookies. We're not really further behind Mexico, for example.

Plus, there's always gonna be haters and conspiracy theorists and Eurosnobs. But at least we got the appointment by process/committee/new blood people wanted. Imagine if Gulati named a coach before the election - or even the GM.

Finally, another relatively successful season in MLS - despite all the disadvantages and distractions of Columbus in 2018 - should make most sensible people more confident about the new guy at the helm.