"It's Not You, It's Them" - The Continuing Mesut Ozil Lovefest Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by mymy33, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's see your photos, flubbergut!

2. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007

Yo' mama sucka! :eek:

:D

3. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I believe Oezil is a bit intimidated at Real Madrid, he needs to get mentally stronger and find the believe in him. He needs to be a bit more arrogant (like Ronaldo - which I think all Real players need to be successful. ).

4. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Well I never! :eek: :cool:

5. Perceptor

Perceptor Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Calgary
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I mentioned this in the Sevilla thread, but people overreact because he was benched. Liverpool are apparently monitoring Ozil's availability and Mou issued an ultimatum and he might be gone in the summer if he doesn't play to expectations.

He hasn't been as solid this season, but there's no way we're letting him go. He's 23 and his peak years are ahead. I did read a goal.com article about the suggestion that it is Ozil and not CR7 that this team should be built around

6. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He isn't going anywhere

7. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    Bring me Silva and i'll pay for his ticket outta here.

No one else though..

:) Says a lot about his quality, he should be bossing it more though.

8. Ozilll

Ozilll Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Ozil is human, we should never forget that. He is benched after a good performance against barca wtf you want the kid to do. Callejon for him??? People hate goal.com here but they have a point. CR7 has to go that`s the only way we would be a true team. Eeven against sevilla how many attack he broke down??

People already forgive his lame performance against barca because he scored against sevill, as usual. But how many here thinks we will beat barca there? At the end if we want to be bettert hen barca we have to beat them at least once.

9. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    That article was interesting but a bit wide of the mark. While there was some truth to it Cristiano is not the cause of Oezil's struggles. How did he manage so fantastically last season with an arguably more selfish Ronaldo? And how come Di Maria playing in his stead yesterday didn't have the same issues? Kaka seems doesn't struggle as much when he plays instead of Oezil either.

The bottom line is this team is never going to be built around him as long as Cristiano is here. Whether that is "right" or "wrong" is a whole 'nother discussion so Mesut is going to have to figure things out if he wants to have continued success and not be pushed into the shadows by players like Di Maria and even Callejon. And I keep saying it but I think he will he's too smart not to. The rumors of him being unhappy seem pretty off the mark too, he was having a great time with Higuain and Angel on the bench last night not exactly looking like a player who was unsettled or wanted out.

10. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    I read a couple of rumours that he had a particular liking for the bar scene, like many before him. No idea how true that would be, he looks like he'd be more into bird watching and stamp collecting.

11. morgan07

morgan07 Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The author/Clark that wrote the idea of building the team around Ozil made excellent point about Ozil's strength and his game that emphasises short, one-touch passing sequences, which means we'd get the best out of him the more he get touches on the ball, the more we run the play through him, the more fluid the team movement, & the more he gets support around him to exchange passes. Hence it's not surprising if he's suited better for his NT than relies more on link up play than for RM that put less emphasise on link up play.

What the author failed to address is the reason why for Madrid Ozil in overall was doing better (have more impact attacking wise) last season compare to this season. He failed to identify the compromise Ozil had to incorporate in his game since the start of this season where he was deployed to play deeper & started the build up from deep, which means with his style of playing he needed more sequences, more passing exchanges, & more reliance to his teammates decision making to continue what he started. When it did work, we saw a great link up play like when we saw againt Getafe when Ozil started the move from defensive half, exchanging passes with Marcelo and Coentrao, and finally he received the ball back in final third to assist Benzema. Or a great link up in counter attack againts Ajax when he started the counter from our box, exchanging passes with Ronaldo, and he finally received the ball back in final third to set up Benzema to send the final pass to Ronaldo. But a lot of those moves Ozil started was broken up in the middle of the build up, often either my misspasses & poor decision making by others, and it would be like as if Ozil did nothing attacking wise.

Last season he started most of the move in final third, not from deep, so less sequences needed, less passing exhanges needed, & less realience to his teammates decision making to continue what he started. But even last season it's clear that he never got as much as touches as he normally had when he played with his NT even when Madrid dominated possesion because of heavy realiance on wing plays & more emphasises on invidual effort instead of link up play. It didn't hurt him as much as it hurt him this season because he played mostly in final third & didn't need that much touch to make an impact. Like we saw in Racing game, he just need one Alonso's long pass in final third to do his magic in final third.

For Ozil in order to be able to make great impact attacking wise more consistently with still playing deeper, it either Mou has to change the game to rely more on link up play or force Ozil to do more indivual effort like beating opponents by dribbling so that less realinece on his teammates for him to make an impact attacking wise. Given the current players like Ronaldo & Di Maria who both will likely to suffer if Madrid play a lot of link up play and Alonso too because he doesn't have mobility to play quick short passes needed in link up play, the later is probably more realistic to do. Also it's not like Ozil doesn't have the ability to do individual move, we saw him did that when we played Lyon, he just needs to do that more.

The author also made a good point about the lacking of team work in Madrid game, which imo is the biggest reason after missing chances (which affect our moral/mental) why we lost to Barca. Not tactic, not player selection. The author also a bit exaggerate Ozil's lack of impact in Barca game because Ozil did have some good movements attacking wise even only resulting in half chances, the best one probably the one two and one touch assist to Benzema right before he was subbed out.

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it's true...he is human after all.

13. morgan07

morgan07 Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As for Ozil this season so far, it's safe to say that Ozil still needs to work hard to adapt to play deeper but also to still be able to consistently have great impact attacking wise (possesion wise & defensively he's already improved a lot imo).

Since Mourinho obviously wouldn't change anything to accomodate Ozil's strength more, he needs to change his playing style a bit, a lot more individual effort from him & a lot more risks taking will make a difference.

He definitely wasn't as unimpressive as the media suggested though, especially in CL where imo he's the best performers along with Benzema. La Liga is another story, he's probably not even in top 5 best performers in the team for la liga game so far.
    His relatively poor stats didn't mean much, he's still involved a lot more than that in creating the goals even when not becoming the one that made the final pass.

About Barca game, he got undeserved criticims for that. He was the better players vs Barca and imo only Benzema & maybe Lass had better game. Why Mourinho acted as if he was the most disaapointing player from the barca match is beyond me (from his comment that singling Ozil out while he said nothing about other players that had worse game & the benching Of Ozil vs Sevilla/assuming the benching served as some kind of punishment).

14. morgan07

morgan07 Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Last season vs this season:
    Started the move and playmake mostly only in final third vs from deep. I explained about that in my previous post regarding article by Clark.

Di Maria againts Sevilla vs Ozil:
    Different playing style, Di Maria also didn't playmake or start anything from deep againts Sevilla in which Ozil struggle to give impact attacking wise, playmaker role is more than making assists, and it was also one game. It was like saying Ozil have 0 problem playing outwide to replace Di Maria because he performed superb on 1 or 2 game on the wing like against Sevilla last season or Ajax home this season and depite it's obvious what Ozil did as RW was different than what Di Maria did as RW.

Kaka vs Ozil:
    I don't know what people saw on Kaka, he's even struggled againts third division club in recent CDR game. He only did well when he had acree of spaces to make his predictable vertical run. He wasn't even playmaking. Whenever Kaka started instead of Ozil it was a totally different set up because both played different role.

Since both Di Maria & Kaka wan't even tried to do thing Ozil struggling with (playmake from deep but to still look impactful attacking wise), I found the comparison is off.

Agreed about this.
    If the unhappy rumour is true I expected a scene of him sulking on the bench and that's not what we saw.

15. Ozilll

Ozilll Member

Mar 12, 2011
    I still remember his move against Netherlands where he comes so deep in NT defense that he was the last man there, then he started a marvelous move that ended at the other end.

Did mou really singled him out for barca game? Wow wtf i was watching then. Mou then is not deceived by ronaldo in barca games at all.

If we rely on his smile when hamit scored at last minute to judge his state of mind, then what about the other wondering looks he had through out of the game. Btw Hamit would have 2 if Ronaldo had given too him, then hamit also would be happy at madrid?

WHY the heck is Nuri not playing fck is going on??

Honestly Ozil what ever he does, Mou is not satisfied with him anymore if the season ends like this he has to move, otherwise his confidence will be destroyed.

16. raul_elmatador

Jun 6, 2006
    Mumbai
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't know what your trying to do here . It looks like you only support Ozil and not the team...you look for every opportunity to be negative about Ozil in Madrid....be it Ronaldo, Mou, 'wondering looks', some 'superplay' ozil made for germany (which automatically means he hasn't done it for us or will never do it for us, right? ).

Ozil is an important player for the squad who is currently underperforming from the high standards he set in his first season. The great thing about our squad imho is that we have players who push each other to be better so that they are part of the starting eleven. Benz and Higuain have to do it, Khedira/Lass are doing it, Ramos/Arbeloa did it, Callejeon, Di Maria have done it. Except for CR7, Casillas and Xabi who have scary consistency....most of our players are playing at the level they are today because our squad/coach pushes them to do so at that level.

I do not understand why you feel Ozil must be excluded from this growth process. It's not like he does not get opportunities to play and keep adapting and improving to contribute to the team. Like mymy said I too think he is a very smart player and he will become better for this period. If you want to see a team where some players are secured starting spots even with a significant time out of form....you can start supporting another team.

As for your comment on the need for Ronaldo to be sold, I feel Ozil is much more likely to be sold than Ronaldo (only a relative comparison); saying that I hope neither is sold as both are very important players in our team.

17. demogorgon

demogorgon Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Because he looks pathetic on the pitch.

18. morgan07

morgan07 Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You need to chill out.. why so pessimistic. While ozil and mou never have the best relationship and at times mou reacted impatiently so fast whenever ozil had less than impressive game, he was never hesitate to give him chance when he needed ozil. Last season after unimpressive games agaimst gijon and spurs away, mou choped ozil from the starting line up for clasico home league game. But he wasn't too proud to make changes when it's needed, subbed in ozil at 60', and even starting him in next barca game after ozil's impressing game changer performance. It's happening again this season after mou dissaponting on ozil's racing and zagreb away game and openly crtitized him for that, mou benched ozil for rayo game and we all know what happpened in that game, again mou wasn't too proud to make changes after the disastrous first 30 minutes, subbed in ozil at 30', and ozil once again put in a game changer performance, mou then gave him back the starting position in the cl game after that game (the ajax game). Also don't underestimate mou's trust on ozil, he started ozil in all decisive cl games (and except the first zagreb game ozil paid off the trusts by impressive performances) and even in last barca game not without reason.

Sure there were also moments when mou looked dissapointed on ozil, causing him to bench him in next game, some of those maybe seemed unfair because mou seemed to have higher tolerant when it comes to other player but not ozil and some of those games weren't even that poor that deserved benching punishment (last barca game where he was the better performers is one of example), but that's just show how much he expected from ozil & how much he rates his potential. I believe mou wouldn'nt stop to give him chance and I also believe ozil wouldn't stop trying to prove his worth.

19. Shaman

Shaman New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I, myself, am a fan of Die Manschaft.. even I used to wonder why Ozil was being benched by Jose and used to go on a rampage of tirades as to how it is a sham and a conspiracy against him.. however, at the end of the day, I realized that its the team upon the individuals, as long as Real Madrid are winning, I cannot complain as to why Ozil is being benched and why so and so person is playing..

On a lighter note though I would be tremendously glad if Mou decides to sell him and he comes to Bayern! :)

Him and Khedira :)

20. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    He really hasn't been benched that much by Jose, some of you are acting like he's out in the cold or something here which isn't the case.

21. Shaman

Shaman New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    although what you are saying is right... Özil's is a cindrella story & hence everyone wants him to prosper..

22. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    So how does wildly exaggerating about his current situation help him to prosper?

23. Shaman

Shaman New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    kind Sir.. It certainly isn't wild exaggeration.. The general consensus suggests that Özil is not getting his penny's worth but as stated earlier Team over Individuals..

24. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    What general consensus? Hell you're wildly exaggerating in this rubbish post. :rolleyes:

It ain't even a "sir" it's a "angry woman". :D

25. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    I'm not angry, just puzzled as to the reasoning folks use to reach their conclusions.