It's going to be hard to be a fan of this team

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by BalanceUT, Mar 10, 2018.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to have optimism after the last game, but that's faded sharply after this display of ineptitude.

If in their HOME OPENER
    against an EXPANSION SIDE
    they can't SHOW UP
    and play with HEART
    and get completely WHOOPED in all phases of the game...
    It's going to be hard to be a fan of RSL this year.

I reserve judgement, but currently have a very bad feeling that RSL is sill playing MLS 2.0 or 2.5 while the rest of the league has moved on to MLS 3.0 (spending more for younger serious talent).

While we brought in a lot of pieces that seemed like good ideas, there was not a single signing that was comparable to the top signings of other clubs.

jessyca, andyslc, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s still very early in the season, so I’m not panicking. The thing that stood out to me today was LA’s runs and pinpoint passing. It was quite an impressive display. The other thing that stands out is that they were dominated by Seattle last week and except for a moment or two did not look like the team we saw today. I hope that’s not an indicator of the accuracy of your concerns.

3. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bahahha, come on Balance, you've been here long enough to have been through some truly shitty times. Tough loss, emotions are high.

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is seriously bad. Worst loss in RioT, ever. And, see the above. Yes, I've lived through some bad times. I took a prepared paper bag to Rice Eccles prepared to wear it if RSL hadn't scored in the first half to eventually win the game... but, RSL pulled through. This feels different because we actually put hope into this season and it has been seriously squashed by this result. If any one of the above factors were not present it wouldn't be quite so bad. Two of them not present and it's not that worrying (yet). But, Home Opener, Expansion Team, No Heart, No Presence, and getting outplayed on all sides of the game. THAT's scary for the coming season. We may be the Loons of 2018.

5. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Ouch. Since I support both Minnesota and RSL, I wouldn't want THAT to happen! Both clubs can't have the worst defense in the league; someone has to be second worst!

6. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are right. This seems like comparing apples and oranges though. I believe he can immediately make a difference with the lack of effort. I don’t think he can control the health and chemistry of the back line, which is the major issue. Although he can adjust tactics and personnel to try and protect it a bit. The KB/Kreilach tandem simply needs time imo.

8. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's over guys! Pack it in! One data point is enough to set a whole statistical trend.

It's way too early to panic. Saturday was a shit-show, but it's a one-off. People need to quit thinking that expansion teams are inherently bad. Heck, even in the NHL, a league that doesn't have the parity of MLS, the Las Vegas Knights are off to a great start. LAFC is a good team with loads of talent up front and they're going to make the playoffs.

I came in to Saturday thinking that it would be a win but I wouldn't be surprised with a loss. It was a bad loss but I'm willing to chalk it up as a one-off. If we're looking a several more beat-downs between now and May, then I'll be worried.

9. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #9 stucknutah, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    I thought that Petke's most telling comment was that he really couldn't comment on anything specifically without further review. That suggests that he knew that everything about his game planning was wrong.

Here's the beginning and possibly the end of the list (IMHO): lack of accurate scouting of LAFC. RSL showed up to play a wide open game against a team with superior speed and skill at certain positions. (Recall what happened when the Gals played RSL wide open last year? RSL killed them on the counter by getting our quick and talented players against their weaker players.) Phillips was on an island and got crushed. Horst had to cover large amounts of space and I've seen icebergs move quicker. Neither of our center mids could hold a candle to the speed shown in center midfield. Neither of our outside wings had any interest in helping back to pressure, so LAFC got to pick and choose their passing lanes.

To be fair, FC Dallas had many of the same advantages. Petke and crew adjusted, played more of a 4-5-1, and countered when possible.

The lesson learned is actually quite simple - you have to know when and where you can play a wide open game. Turns out that playing wide open against LAFC's attack would be a really poor choice for most of MLS. Petke and crew were cocky and overconfident in the game plan, and were punished SEVERELY. The Red Bulls game will be very interesting.

RoyalNonesuch, RSLer and PumaJohnny repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s a lot of truth to this. The Sounders game indicated that LAFC were very vulnerable defensively, meaning a wide open attack was warranted. The late injury to MSilva should have been a red flag though, given FC Dallas’ ability to get good shots against us.

11. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, come on! The sky isn't falling yet, Chicken Little (or as my Italian ex-wife used to say, "bagnarti prima la pioggia"). Who else are you going to support? Colorado?

One bad game at the start of a season isn't the end of the world. Multiple bad games is, so let's see what happens during the rest of the month before we jump on the "LAFC is the greatest thing to hit soccer since sliced bread" bandwagon.