Its Business Time: The Run In 2018

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Jan 22, 2018.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Chelsea's run-in is very straightforward. Last thing we want is for our May 5th game vs them to be the 4th-place decider.

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is pretty straightforward on paper. They have a tough away at Burnley that is yet to be rescheduled. They also go to Southampton who will be needing points, so with a new manager, that could be tricky. FA cup semi-finals as well.

Its key we keep scoreboard pressure on them. Win at Palace and they are 10 points behind going into the spurs game. Even with games in hand, that is a lot to make up and they need us to slip up in multiple games for them to have a chance.

With Conte on his way out, a WC cup coming up, its hard to see them running through walls to get 4th, especially when some of the players may be ready to move on. They have form downing tools. A loss to Spurs and I think they pack it in for the season.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    generally I agree DC, but right now I'm paranoid about injuries.

if we were to lose 1 (or god forbid 2) key players during the internationals, or in the final Prem games -- eg due to the Bitters pulling their regular trick of trying to impress their idiot fans by going OTT in tackles -- we could start struggling.

also, almost all our fixtures are against teams who could be fighting for their Prem lives. no gimme's anywhere ....

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have some faith. Any of those things can happen to Spurs or Chelsea. Kane is already out a bit. We dogged the end of last season without Mane and Hendo. We’ll see it out.

CB-West repped this.
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have plenty of faith thanks, but I also recognize that many points can be (and too often have been) lost to inferior teams due to defensive brain farts, deflected shots that go in, dumbass ref decisions, flat-out pisspoor play ... and so on.

we were 3 goals up against CP. who would have predicted the outcome. same with the 3-goal lead vs Sevilla.

anything can happen, especially when facing a team who are fighting for Prem survival, so I never count chickens before they hatch. one game at a time until we are mathematically locked in for next year's CL.

6. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Exactly Sam!
    And it goes both ways...3-0 down? Yeah - you know what I'm talking about! ;)

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    damn right. :)

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Glad you mentioned that there at the end.....

(On the plus side, it's closer than Shaktar!!)

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mane didn't play today - excellent.
    Firmino played 25 mins.
    Can didn't play due to precaution on injured back....

VVD, Wij, Henderson, Ox, Lallana, and Gomez likely to see some action upcoming.

Salah, Lovren and Robertson likely to play as well.

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huge 3pts for us today in this mini-race.

We are 66pts with 6 games to play.

We have a 10pt lead on Chelski and 5 on Spurs - but of course those two have 2 games in hand - but also play each other tomorrow so that means dropped points for both. I think I'd like to see a draw - but I'm ok with a Spurs win too.

jeffcoop repped this.
  11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs haven't won at the bridge in league play... since 1990.

12. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea has an easier run-in than Spurs, save the Liverpool fixture, because Spurs plays ManCity. If Spurs wins all their remaining matches, then they finish with 85, one point ahead of Liverpool in 3rd place, assuming Liverpool wins out. If Chelsea wins all their remaining matches, they finish with 80 points, and Liverpool finishes with 81 if the Chelsea loss is the only defeat.

If Spurs loses to ManCity, then they finish with 82 points, it that's the only defeat. If Liverpool wins out, then it's 84 points and 3rd place guaranteed, assuming the Spurs loss.

I think the best scenario for Liverpool is for Chelsea and Spurs to draw, but a Chelsea win is OK if Spurs lose to Citeh.

It's a hot mess, any way you cut it...

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points won are much more valuable than points to win -- you can look at it as Chelsea are 4 points behind, but that doesn't really tell the tale, especially when they are away to Burnley, have Spurs tomorrow, an FA cup semi, and then Liverpool.

They aren't catching up, and if they do it will be at Spurs' expense.

Red Bird repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    true but right now we're in much better situation than the Cheatsea or Spuds.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    wish I could keep my damn trap shut ....

newterp repped this.
  16. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And we haven’t even played the Blue side yet...

So yeah...shhhhhhhh! :(o_O

17. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll honestly be surprised if Chelsea end the season with more than 70 points.

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    wrong - since 2108 ....

;)

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    if their players give up completely, maybe. but ..... they play WHam, Soton, Swans, Newcy and Hudd, we are the only tough game really (Burnley might give them a run).

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have lost something like 5 of their last 8. Conte is on his way. Most of the squad is off to the WC. They have nothing to dig deep for. They need 4 wins and 2 draws from their last 7 to get to 70. They haven’t done that since December. They have make up games midweek for a few weeks. Small squad. Nothing to play for.

All the teams they play need the points. We’ve been in their position too many times over last decade and we know how that always turns out. it’s simply too much ground to make up.

21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This caught up them for sure.

I still will wait to celebrate until a few more games go by. I'm just a nervous nelly like that.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 wins in 10. They are basically done. Only way for them is multiple banana-peel performances by LFC, and I just don't see it.

dcc134 repped this.
  23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we should be good.... But let's clear the hurdles first. We might even finish 2nd, given that United have City and Spurs to play....

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    west ham is a traditionally tough game for chelsea..... Rafa will also give them a game..... as will southampton

25. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we take care of our own business we won't have to worry about Chelsea.

Wingtips1, delaynomo and CB-West repped this.