It's almost 2019,... and lo, the playoffs remain flawed; the defense of the regular ssn continues...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Unak78, Oct 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketd1

miketd1 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I agree with the logic that there should be a significant way to reward regular season play.

My suggestion would be to get rid of the away goals rule and simply say the lower seed begins the home/home with a 1/2 goal advantage.

This advantage applies to all playoff games until the finals.

That way:
    • Teams don't play keep away until the second leg
    • Teams don't play for the tie and try to win in the shootout
    • Reduces risk of injury
    • Fewer "tired" teams in later rounds since there's no overtime
    • Reward the regular season

The Franchise repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With two legs it's possible that fewer people will watch the last game if the club hosting that game won 3-0 away. By having playoffs, the last game always matters, unlike the top European leagues. The last game will matter less if the first leg had a big margin of victory. Furthermore, there could be fans who would buy tickets to the second leg only if their club did well in the first leg.

3. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like USL's single leg, simple and straight forward. We might as well get used to it as the MLS goes to 24-26 whatever number of teams. I would accept 16 if it were single elimination because its only 4 games and everything could be on a Saturday or Sunday, no midweek games. You would think attendance would be better as well and maybe a few more traveling fans. Win the Shield- you could get 4 playoff games.

4. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It also means more soccer which people like..... it's why we use it in the conference semis and finals. We use series in baseball, hockey, and basketball. Never heard anyone saying NBA needs to go NCAA playoffs when the Warriors were up 3-0 last year.

Also, as my casual friends learned last year during Toronto v. Montreal, aggregate helps keeps the first game relevant when a team goes up 3-0. So in some ways, aggregate makes the TV much more relevant if one team goes up 2-0 in the first of the first leg.

That being said, from a fairness perspective. (And like I always feel I need to mention, fairness matters especially in hypothetical discussions), inside a conference there's pretty bright lines on who's earned the home field. Whereas, in x-conference matches, it's not so clear. That's why I support making conference matches 1 and done.

EvanJ repped this.
  5. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the NBA at least, it's pretty common for fans of the major contenders to view the playoffs as the real season and everything else as prep time.

miketd1 repped this.
  6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference between starting a game down 3-0 in a series and starting a second leg down 3-0. A team that wins Game 4 will celebrate a little even though they know they need to win 3 more without losing. A club that loses an aggregate won't celebrate winning the second leg. You have a good point about how wanting to win by as much as possible keeps the first leg relevant when the winning club is very unlikely to not win.

7. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/feat...-rules-changes-single-elimination-2018-season
    ....and here's why it won't happen... dear MLS, thanks for pretending to think about us...

8. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    Surprised no one has mentioned this yet in this thread:

Treat the MLS playoffs like the World Cup, says SI.com writer Grant Wahl
    ( https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/10/31/mls-playoff-format-fix-solution )

Unak78 repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anthems in Houston

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need someone attacking the near post

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong thread

12. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Wow, I REALLY like this idea. It's just like the WC or other tournaments with play-in games, group stage, then knockout rounds until the champion is crowned. It's a format we all know and understand, yet with this proposed structure it would reward the top seeds with more home games (i.e. bigger advantage), avoid the FIFA break, create even more drama and eliminate the boring soccer we often see in the first leg where it's all about making sure you don't concede rather than trying to score, and it preserves the number of games for ticket sales and TV. And it all happens without extending the season into mid or late December.

I'm in. Get this proposal to Don Garber ASAP. It needs to happen.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the dates he's proposing you're still going to have an arctic finale.

14. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    That depends on the location of the host team and it's no worse than what we have now in terms of timing. Hard to fix EVERY issue but this proposal addresses quite a few of the biggest ones and is a major upgrade from what we have now.

Also, having just a few teams playing as late as Dec 9th beats the heck out of having a season that would have a dozen games from Dec-Feb for every team in the league.

The Franchise repped this.
  15. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    #116 Initial B, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    I like the idea, but Wahl is assuming that the East-West Conference structure will remain the same because they'll break the conferences into 2 Divisions each...

Oh, wait a sec, he has an East and West Conference Final prior to the MLS Cup match and after the group stages are completed. That means that you could have up to 16 teams playing in 4 groups, one for each division. There would be *four* Conference Games per game day instead of the two games Wahl is suggesting in the schedule. I assume the Conference Final would be played between the winners of the two group stages per conference.

I'm all for his idea. It would solve a lot of the problems with the cageyness of the 1st legs we've been seeing. It would also be extra home games for a lot of the owners. It would also be a unique NA playoff format that might get casual eyeballs looking.

<Edit: one thing though: in 2018 the November window is Nov 12-20, which means the MLS final under his schedule would be December 15th. That is simply too late in the season. I would be okay moving one of the playoff dates to just before the November international break. Then you could start the 2nd game on the Thursday-Friday immediately following the break and the final Group Stage game on the following Tuesday-Wednesday. Then have the Conference Finals Saturday-Sunday with the MLS Cup the following Saturday. That would move up the last game by a week and lessen the chance of an arctic final.>

16. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After so many 0-0 first leg games this season, let's just do away with the first leg altogether. It's clear that the teams have internalized Bruce Arena's quote, "You can't win the series in the first leg but you sure can lose it." Many have played not to lose it so they can live to play another day in the second leg.

Let's just shift to single games at the higher seed's home field. It'll take less time and the league can finish on Black Friday. Four games is an excellent amount of games for the playoffs. It could be done in three weeks without burning out the players: wildcards midweek after "decision day," quarterfinals Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday of the first weekend of November, FIFA break second weekend, semifinals Thursday and Friday after the FIFA break, MLS Cup on Black Friday.

17. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Other articles have stated that MLS owners are not inclined to go with just a single-elimination playoff format because it reduces the number of games which means less revenue (est. $1 million per game which means a lot to many clubs). So, we're discussing formats that could actually get approved vs. whatever our personal preferences may be.

Cavan9 repped this.
  18. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    #119 Coyote89, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    He says that if the league wants to stay at 12 playoff spots, just hold single-elimination play-in games before the group stage (just like they do in the WC or UCL - also before the FIFA break). So, no need to expand to 16 playoff teams or shrink to 8. We'd basically still have the knockout round like we have now, but we'd be replacing the 2-leg conference semis and final with a group stage, followed by single elimination conference finals and MLS cup (similar to WC or UCL format).

Doing so actually increases the total number of playoff games by 2, but the MLS Cup is played about the same time as now. Meanwhile, it gives top seeds a better advantage (bye in knockout round plus home field in the group stage), eliminates the tentative, avoid-conceding-at-all-costs nature of 2-leg/road goal tie-breaking format, results in more games and revenue, positions the FIFA break in a less disruptive spot in the playoff calendar, and thereby helps create more drama and a natural build toward the MLS Cup final.

I think it would be a big improvement.

Cavan9 repped this.
  19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Conference Semifinals had 8 goals in first legs and 8 goals in second legs. I'm not looking at the Conference Finals in between legs. The six aggregates in 2016 had 15 goals in first legs and 18 goals in second legs excluding extra time which can only happen in second legs. That's a total of 46.9% of the goals in first legs. To compare, the Knockout Rounds excluding the Final of the last two UEFA Champions Leagues had 51.2% of the goals in first legs. That's a small difference.

20. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #121 Unak78, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Off-season observations:

First off, I wanted to share a post that I made in response to one of the many ppl out there who repeatedly misread our playoffs as either a cup competition and question the "unfairness" of home finals; or decide that MLS should emulate the NFL's Super Bowl. In the former's case, they misread entirely, the very intent and purpose of the competition itself. I wonder how those outsiders would interpret Mexico's version where the higher seeds advance on draws. In the case of the latter, they either ignore or are unaware of the fact that the bulk of the competition is essentially nearly neutral and only the final and the first round (possibly the second if you count the nearly nullified aspect of short-rest and the sometimes backfiring advantage of the opening round bye) actually reward any success a team might have had in the regular season. To one of these questioners (who appeared to be a domestic-based member of the latter group which doesn't bother me as much since it is to me more of an unfamiliarity with MLS's nature and some of it's shortcomings rather than blatant disregard for the difference between a league-based championship and a playoff-based one which is how I regard those from the former group; yeah these ones, many of whom are either European or only watch European leagues, are the ones who are starting to pi$$ me off the most which is odd bc I tend to lean towards a sense of wanting MLS to implement more traditional footballing practices like P/R among others things...) I posted this reply:

Once again, this type of question wasn't a bad one imo and his type of query didn't make me as angry as others about the nature of the finals had for the reasons that I stressed above. My intent was to inform and educate which is why my posted reply was so long. I wanted to re-post it here as an insight to some of my reasoning with regard to MLS and how I view this issue and its importance.

Stray observations to make:

1. As any reasonable man should be, I reserve the right to maintain some flexibility as to how I view and/or frame the parameters regarding this issue as time goes on. I hate myself for this as I partially believe that this was MLS' hope; threaten worse conditions and make fans like me defend and champion the scraps that they've gotten as though this were what we wanted all along. It's a classic negotiating ploy and I'm beginning to fall for it a bit. I've gone from wishing for either single elimination or going back to first to four to desperately defending both the idea of the home final and advocating for the repeal of away goals.

2. As a means of explaining the first sentence of the above observation, I have noticed that the better teams in MLS appear to be gaining adeptness in navigating the MLS playoff system, for what it is, and making the finals more often. I do not say this as an absolution of the structure as it is, but rather as a not towards the improvement in quality and focus in the top teams both in terms of depth and tactical approach which engenders increasingly consistent performances. This point dovetails into my third observation...

3. https://sports.yahoo.com/toronto-fc...eams-spend-like-thats-good-mls-000851623.html

I'm slowly beginning to adjust my mind to the fact that the playoff structure itself is a bargaining chip that has probably been played multiple times over the past few seasons between the newer and more ambitious ownerships that came onboard from MLS 2.0-3.0 and the old guard and smaller markets which lack the spending power of those groups. I've often bemoaned the fact that MLS represents away goals, home and home and other aspects of the playoff system as a means of emulating Champions league and soccer/football tradition as though they themselves were ignorant of why the two things were different, but I was never convinced that they actually were ignorant of these things at all. Now I'm beginning to believe that this may not be an entirely unanimous wish by all owners to permanently crap-shoot the title-winner but rather an accommodation made by more ambitious ownership groups to the less ambitious sides in order to garner their acquiescence, in turn, to the growing number of mechanisms that are increasingly allowing them to create a spending-gap and keep themselves as perennial players at the top of the league while allowing the "minnows" to always have a realistic shot allowed by the very nature of MLS' playoff system.

As it stands, despite being a "salary cap" league, MLS' salary disparity is beginning to emulate the cap-less MLB more-so than sports like the NFL or NHL. So to get around to why I considered this as a segue from my second observation, I think that the higher seeded teams are beginning to navigate this system more often simply because there is probably less real parity in this today than in other domestic leagues that have more rewarding playoff models. Therefore, as often seen in the UEFA CL, the better sides typically navigate the knockouts fairly consistently despite no advantage evident in the system simply because they are that much better.

With MLS about to allow top teams to simply purchase TAM money with private funds, we are drifting even further in that direction which ensures that, once again, we probably won't see the playoff system shift in the direction that I would prefer. So now it comes to this... which is more important to me? MLS allowing it's franchises/clubs to compete more with one another and be able to bring more and more of their inherent financial advantages into play, or a more representative structure... For the time being (and this is where my first statement about reserving the right to adjust my opinion as I see fit comes in) I'm willing to admit that I'm fine with it if this is what it is truly being sacrificed for... but there is still principle involved... any more changes in the wrong direction will make the regular season meaningless. This is why I wanted to share my reply from the beginning bc it sums up why I make this subject such a priority to me. This isn't about whether or not higher seeds can or can't overcome this; if you throw enough money at a side they could win a hypothetical MLS playoff structure which forced them to play all of their road matches on the road. But that would still make the regular season meaningless so the fact that the higher seed can still manage it is meaningless to me. It's about making the fact that MLS Cup is what it is to this league mean something and not just be an arbitrary benchmark that has no support built-into it's competitive structure. If MLS Cup doesn't inherently incorporate the regular season into it's structure then there is no reason to call MLS Cup the league's most important structure in any objective manner or basis. It becomes merely a subjective judgement.

4.th ...& Final observation... well I was rather pleased to see a Seattle player (...may have just been Roldan but I think I remember other Sounders might have made similar statements...) comment on the importance of getting home advantage in the final next season and those comments are my best illustration of why the home final must remain bc with a neutral final and nothing else changing in the playoff structure from the way it is now; does anyone think that anyone would be making statements regarding improving regular season positioning as a necessary aspect towards winning in MLS?

I still hold some reservations with regard to whether or not the primary real advantage in MLS' post-season which is so late in the competition is sufficient enough to make all teams play the entire regular season and take positioning seriously; but perhaps it is beginning to gain that sort of recognition as a goal for teams considering that, despite two recent away victors. Since the introduction of the home final only one MLS away finalist (Portland and maaaaybe RSL vs SKC) has can actually stake a claim to having either matched or exceeded the performance of the home finalist. For the most part (and this includes the first LA Galaxy title where they were essentially, and would have been deservedly so, the home side despite that match technically having been played at a neutral venue) the home side has bossed the match once they got there. 5 of 7 matches with the home side clearly outperforming the away side is not a bad percentage. Then again, those 5 home performances were courtesy of only two sides, LA and TFC and both might be all-time great sides. TFC will likely win another title in the next season or the one after.

If this is starting to move some minds towards prioritizing regular season seeding to increase the odds of a home final, then good. My worry is that this concern is truly only going to be felt by only the strongest sides who are more-or-less certain to make the playoffs and see themselves as expected finalists or at least very strong candidates to make the finals. However, middling playoff teams and other teams who are often strong enough to make the playoffs but usually aren't shield contenders aren't the types to prioritize Shield runs and there's little else to force them to focus on seeding outside of avoiding the play-in match. Perhaps this could be subject to a bit more feedback from other readers ehre as to whether or not there was any pressure coming from teams as far as seeding was concerned once they weren't in contention for the Shield.

To Conclude.

Anyway, that's just a bit of thought on the season, the playoff structure and observations on how this conversation has moved beyond it's own relevance as an issue to ponder and promote, but also how it may also be a tool that's being sacrificed to gain improvement in other areas of league development behind the scenes and between the various owners in MLS...

E2A: ...btw, I tried to keep each observation short, say around the length of the first two, but as the points began to become addendums to and from each other point, the amount of elaboration that I felt I needed increased. I'm really trying to shorten my posts ya'll. I'm horrible ad condensing thoughts into short statements.

21. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    In my opinion, MLS Playoffs should be one-game matches, with seeding in the first two rounds, with the highest ranked team playing at home, and the finals two rounds with 3 host cities (neutral venue), one for each final.

MLS Playoffs should't last more than 4 weeks:
    First 2 rounds before Men's National Team week in November
    Final 2 rounds after Men's National Team week in November

SEEDING
    Knockout round
    E3 VS E6
    E4 VS E5

W3 VS W6
    W4 VS W5

Conference Semifinals
    E1 VS E3/E6
    E2 VS E4/E5

W1 VS W3/W6
    W2 VS W4/W5

NEUTRAL VENUE at HOST CITIES
    City 1: Western Conference Final
    City 2: Eastern Conference Final
    City 3: MLS Cup

22. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    That's a lot to absorb, but I think I follow and agree for the most part.

I happen to like playoffs and think they keep a much larger group of teams interested throughout the season. Without it, all but 3-4 teams would be rendered irrelevant by August each year. So, I'm certainly not a single-table purist that hates the American playoff format.

That said, our playoff structure is dysfunctional. We still try to internationalize our American playoff system by adopting 2-leg stages and away goal tie-breakers like we see in international tournaments, and I don't think either is appropriate for a playoff. Meanwhile, we're not addressing the glaring issue of how our playoffs straddle the November international break. With some modest tweaks in format and schedule, we could have something a lot better.

I also tend to agree that although the top clubs are finding ways to navigate the playoffs, the format itself doesn't appropriately favor the teams that earned the higher seeds in regular season. And to that point, regardless of what modifications are made, I certainly hope we do NOT move to a neutral site MLS Cup final. First of all, it would destroy ticket sales due to the expensive travel involved for each fan base. But it would also further erode the importance of regular season if the top seed didn't gain a home field advantage throughout.

Unak78 repped this.
  23. Paulo_PT

Paulo_PT Member

SL Benfica
    Portugal
    Sep 17, 2017
    Why not a neutral site for MLS Cup final?

I agree with you that MLS Playoffs should be single-games matches and the top seed should have home field advantage.
    However, i think in the final all advantages should end, so a neutral site is a good option...

24. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Although MLS has an unbalanced schedule, each team plays every other team at least once. So, I'd argue the team with more points has earned an advantage in the playoffs, just like the NBA, NHL, and now even MLB.

Plus, imagine if we held the final someplace like LA, Houston,or Atlanta this year to ensure warm weather. How many Toronto or Seattle fans would actually make that trip?

The NFL is the only pro league that has neutral site final and that's party because they can't possibly know which conference champ is really better with 32 teams and only 16 regular season games. Plus, the league is so popular, they could play the game on the moon and still sell-out. Most other sports don't have that luxury, and even the NFL struggled with Super Bowl attendance in the early years.

Unak78 repped this.