It's Al Lang...For a While

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by kenntomasch, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    When they announced the switching of the orientation of the pitch for next season, they said that it would allow them to bring the playing area closer to the stands for better sightlines. As they had it laid out yesterday is was at best one yard closer. Not exactly the improvement some of us were hoping for. It would be nice if they could move the corner flag tighter towards the stands.

brentgoulet repped this.
  2. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not too bad.

3. Soccer Budgie

Soccer Budgie Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also thought the "outfield wall" was coming down to have a longer field. Seems it is just over 100 yards (maybe 103). I was hoping for bigger. Imagine players getting the ball and not having someone on them immediately! So many 50/50 balls. I don't think it contributes to injuries, but I do think it contributes to a pace of play that is often frenetic (look it up). :cautious:

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the reason they changed the configuration:

Their are more sections for the sideline for the fans that want a better view.

5. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Frenetic is exactly what I would describe the pace of some of our games. A longer pitch would help to reduce that. Sometimes I get the idea that we are watching an indoor game, with so little space out their to operate.

To your point, I never heard anything from the team (nor expected at this point) about removing part of the outfield wall. I thought the extra length would be from moving the side and end lines closer to the stands. But at this time, it appears that won't happen.

Soccer Budgie repped this.
  6. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    See, now I think you do this stuff on purpose. No one can be wrong this much about so much that is easily refutable. Of course, I won't hold my breath for your thanks for setting you straight.

I know you have been to the stadium. For that matter, look at an aerial view. It has a symmetrical layout. There (not their!) are equal numbers of sections on both sides of the stands.

You are welcome.

Antique repped this.
  7. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the red box is that a new Bud Zone or will they add bleachers:

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/index.php?id=52&newsid=3231

8. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It will be a VIP area. Not sure what that entails, but I would guess it would the closest thing that ALF would have to a suite.

9. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the same VIP area as they have right now (and if you were at the championship, you saw it). Just midfield instead of in the end.

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which will make a pretty big difference, being along the sideline at half field vs tucked away behind one corner flag.

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/20341804/2012/12/13/what-will-ha...

Mayor Bill Foster is quite familiar with the conversation, and is quite resolute to keep Al Lang active with Rowdies soccer matches, international baseball and American football games[​IMG].
    "It's seeing more use, more people going through the turn style, and as long as it's being used, we're going to keep it in suitable fashion," Foster said, "If we don't use it we lose it."

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone wrote "turn style?" Was that closed-captioning?

13. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious ...I am Stuck on the Howard Franklin bridge right now. Leaving St.Pete and traffic stinks! Is this how traffic is on game days for folks coming from Tampa?

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traffic always sucks around 4-6 heading to Tampa, driving to St. Pete better take Gandy bridge.

15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Fortunately, the club doesn't play weekday games in ALF. Traffic on Saturdays isn't a huge problem.

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that, but nearly everyone who goes to games is driving into St. Pete, not out of it. So even when there is the occasional midweek game (Open Cup for example) it isn't that bad.

Traffic on Saturday nights is usually nice going in both directions. While the club is in the NASL, even if we somehow manage to start drawing 5, 6 or 7k at some point in the future, traffic shouldn't ever really be a problem.

17. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know. Thanks for the replies WSW, Bluesfan & speedcake!

18. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Two home games played at Al Lang, how does everybody like the layout of the pitch compared to before? Pro's and Con's?
    And how about all the new amenities and signage? Yea or Nay?

19. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the upgrades such as new craft (and local!) beer selection, better presentation of merchandise with two locations and the gear on racks out in the concourse, awesome branding in and around the stadium, etc.

I don't have an opinion either way regarding the orientation of the field. However, IMO the field looks smaller than in past seasons. It would be so much better if we could remove the dugouts and take down some of the out field fencing to allow for a bigger field and a field that is closer to the fans.

Soccer Budgie repped this.
  20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe they will consider it next year. year by year.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think it's up to St. Pete Baseball to finally give up the dream, innit?

22. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time they gave up on it. Not sure they are quite ready to agree. Unfortunately.

23. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Last night's crowd was the highest ever in April for a non-season opener. They have two weeks again to sell tickets for the next home match and it is the first Family Four pack promotion through the Tampa Bay Times, so I am cautiously optimistic that the next crowd will be north of 3,500 again.

Antique repped this.
  24. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of a bummer that we'd get excited about steady 3500 for attendance.

25. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If your expectations are realistic, then yes, raising the average to 3,500 is exciting. I never thought this club would start selling out (that was my dream, but not realistic). What is very encouraging is that compared to last season after two matches, we are up 1,200 per game over 2012. It is a very small sample, but still a rather interesting pattern.

Antique repped this.