It's Al Lang...For a While

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by kenntomasch, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that it's ancient ancient. It's that the current iteration was built in the 1970s. Its big brothers were the concrete donuts. The only one left is RFK Stadium. They utterly lacked charm. That's why only one made it to 50.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Pete Baseball manages the concessions at beer sales at Al Lang. They are very protective of their revenue inside the stadium during games and until they either lighten up or the Rowdies put their foot down, something awesome like 3rd party food vendor options outside the stadium aren't going to happen. There have been a couple of instances where food has been available, but its been Rowdies sponsors and few and far between.

Also, food trucks are for all intents and purposes banned from downtown St. Pete at this time. If the day comes that this changes, great idea. I'm all for it.

Pretty sure this is what they plan for that same section along the 3rd base line which will now be at midfield rather than tucked into a corner.

3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd assume they'll be able to un-tarp sections if ticket sales pick up enough to justify it. But that might be a while :(

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they moved us in the corner because maybe people didn't want to sit by us.

which is good at least we will have a standing section.

5. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hopefully food and beer were on the agenda when they negotiated the new deal. How much could the baseball folks be making off of food sales? Just cut them a check for that amount and then take it over. I agree that food vendors are a key part of game day experience. The food truck idea would bring higher quality food than you would ever get in the stadium and if the promotions team knew what they were doing they could get the trucks to put Rowdies signage on their trucks and even have players make appearances with the trucks during the week.

And I believe that organized rallys are ok in St Pete, they just make it hard for single trucks to set up on a random spot. http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2012/04/30/usf-st-petersburg-to-host-downtown.html

The third base area is a 'vip' area. Not sure what that means. Frankly, I would settle for a vendor on the concourse that served decent imported and locally brewed beers.

I am not sure why they would care where general admission folks sit in such a small stadium. Seems like I devote my energy to selling another couple thousand tickets a game instead of tarping off sections. My guess is that they won't untarp sections until all the reserved seats have been sold. Most folks buy the General Admission because they are cheapest. My hunch is the club wants to move those higher priced seats on game day.

6. cruzazulsdad

cruzazulsdad Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

or maybe they put you behind the goal like you are now

7. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. The Rowdies are fully aware of the fact that fans are unhappy with the concessions and beer offerings. I have no idea what the relationship between the Baseball Commission and the Rowdies is like, but hopefully now that the Rowdies have signed a four year deal they will have some more pull when discussing improvements in this area.

You might be right, but I don't believe there have been any big rallies in the downtown St. Pete area? Maybe once along Bayshore a while back? It'd be awesome if they could get something at Al Lang, though. When the food trucks are at Strikers games it is very cool.

Oh right. We'll see how it goes, I guess. But an open beer garden does sound like a better idea.

I am not sure why they would care where general admission folks sit in such a small stadium. Seems like I devote my energy to selling another couple thousand tickets a game instead of tarping off sections. My guess is that they won't untarp sections until all the reserved seats have been sold. Most folks buy the General Admission because they are cheapest. My hunch is the club wants to move those higher priced seats on game day.[/quote]

8. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we are negotiating the actual section for the Mob. We won't likely be in section 11o.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if they've signed the deal, it likely already spells out what will and won't be done. I know I wouldn't sign a four year deal and then talk about maybe trying to get someone to move on an important point.

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are probably right, but that doesn't mean changes can't be made mid stream if they haven't been made already.

I should have said, since they are signing a 4 year deal hopefully they had more pull when discussing this important point.

That surely would have made you happier.

12. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Where would you rather be? Section 110 is nearly directly behind the goal.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I surely don't give a shit. I just happen to know how sports business works.

14. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    There's no probably about it, he is right. Once you've signed a deal, your 'pull' in discussing any changes is zero. It doesn't mean a discussion can't take place, but if the other party stands firm and says no, you have no leverage and you're boned. If it's important, you negotiate it beforehand and get it in writing. The concession folks there now could be buddies with high ranking folks in the baseball commission (of course, that seldom occurs in business negotiations :rolleyes:)

15. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where they currently have it: under the roof. Because they can't stand a little rain. o_O

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How far is Commerce City from Denver?

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they have wikipedia where you live, but not Mapquest?

It's 6.5 miles from Civic Center Park in downtown Denver to Commerce City. If Denver was Tampa, Commerce City would be Ybor City.

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, having been to Ybor City, I'd say in relation to downtown Tampa it would be the Fairgrounds.

19. tampasteve1

tampasteve1 Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies and Strikers
    Jul 21, 2009
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Ybor city is only about 1 mile from downtown, less or a hair more depending on what one defines the boundaries of DT and Ybor as. There is a street car that runs between the two areas of the city, and it is a pretty easy walk. The Fairgrounds would be a better landmark, as Orlando Rays mentioned.

Steve

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. It's close and northeast of city hall.

But Commerce City is really close. And an easy trip, having done it.

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's a 20 minute drive from Denver to Commerce City.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. It's 6.5 miles. It's not long. It's easy.

Point being?

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No excuse not to cross a bridge in Tampa.

24. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The way they had it laid out today it was the same as the past two years. The corner flag is about the location of home plate. So much for the sidelines being closer.

25. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about?