It's almost 2019,... and lo, the playoffs remain flawed; the defense of the regular ssn continues...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Unak78, Oct 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    It seems to work for the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB.

JasonMa and tallguy repped this.
  2. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It worked best in Major League Baseball when the playoffs included only the four division winners. That format preserved the importance of the regular season; whereas the introduction of the wild card undercut the season's meaning, just as the bloated playoff systems of the NBA, NFL, and NHL do.

Playoffs restricted to first-place finishers would be the best of both worlds: a meaningful regular season, followed by a post-season tournament. All leagues would benefit from such a format. Toward that end, I'd love to see MLS aligned into four divisions, two per conference, and with a playoff system that involved only the four division winners.

Of course, we know that the integrity of the competition is not the sole (or even the main) standard by which a playoff format is chosen. So there is no chance for a format in which only first-place teams qualify. The best we can hope for is a format in which the higher seeds are appropriately rewarded. This is why I advocate a six-team playoff field, three teams per conference, in which team no. 3 visits team no. 2 for one game, and the winner visits team no. 1 for one game for the conference championship. This would create drastically different rewards for finishing in first place, second place, and third place.

Still, the current system is not the worst that MLS has ever had. A good quality is the fact that the first-place and second-place teams get to sit out while the teams ranking third through sixth compete for conference semifinal berths. But the use of two-legged ties in the conference semifinals and conference finals constitutes a major flaw, as that essentially wipes out the advantage that the higher seed ought to enjoy in those rounds. Thanks to this policy, there is no difference between finishing first and finishing second.

Here is where we see the influence of standards other than the integrity of the competition, as the league has made a financial decision to give every semifinal team a home game. But, as I alluded to earlier, it used to be worse: formerly every playoff team got a home game.

If I could request one improvement over the current system, it would be getting rid of the two-legged ties, and thereby creating a true reward for the higher seeds in the conference semi and conference final rounds.

tallguy and Unak78 repped this.
  3. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Currently, the teams within the Eastern (and Western) Conference do not play the same schedule during the regular so wouldn't that also be unfair?

nlsanand repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention most of the soccer leagues in the Americas (outside the Caribbean).

5. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    More than anything, perhaps even more than a salary cap or any other mechanism, playoffs are an equalizer of sorts that allows every single team in the league to have a shot at the title. Look at Colorado if that doesn't make sense. As it shakes out in a league that doesn't play a balanced schedule, it also is important to allow the season to play out in a way that has a semblance of equality. But with MLS, that calculus is simply imbalanced since it throws the true weight of the regular season out the window once the playoffs begin. That's the only issue as far as I see it. So no, I have no wish to see the playoffs gone, nor any realistic expectation that this will ever be done. I think P/R is more realistic within my lifetime than the elimination of the playoffs.

6. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Argentina/Brazil??? #justsaying

7. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Playoffs keep seasons relevant, especially in leagues without relegation. 8 teams already have irrelevant seasons; why would we want to make that issue worse?

Unak78 repped this.
  8. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like that, and would compensate greatly if we adopted UEFA-style away goals. I like it cuz it eliminates PKs. Also, I've always said, the idea of a team that's losing being able to score and win the game in extra time is a great feature of away goals. And as always, it encourages keepers to come up at corners which is my definition of excitement.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At different times over the almost constantly changing format in Argentina the Apertura/Clasura champions have had a one off championship game to decide the ultimate champion. The current format does not have that but they'll probably change it again in a couple of years.

Brazil uses a playoff game in the case of a tie for the championship, though that's not exactly the same thing.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine well end up with 16 teams in the playoffs once the league expands to 28

11. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your post to which I was responding dismissively said it's used throughout the Americas ex. Caribbean. By any contextual reading, you were not alluding to historical treatments.

Overall, I guess what I'm saying is if you're to make that point the way you did and then ignore the two biggest, most relevant leagues, .

Also, if we're gonna use the "What they do in the rest of Americas" line of argument to blow stuff off, isn't Apertura/Clausura a ke part of all those leagues too?

#justsaying

It's definitely not akin to what we're talking about here. In that case, you could argue that England uses one too.

They tend to also use playoffs in state championships for what it's worth though.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Largely because until your response I want aware that Argentina had yet again changed formats. I was aware that Brazil didn't use it however.

That said pretty much every other non-Caribbean league this side of the Atlantic has at least a playoff between their Apatura and Clasura champions and the most popular league in the US has a full playoff system (Liga MX).

13. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trick with playoff design is to make it inclusive enough to make the late regular season games matter for most of the league. Right now that's pretty maximized for MLS; toast notwithstanding, most fans of below average teams can convince themselves their team still has a chance.

At the same time, finishing higher than other playoff teams needs to matter, too. Right now, that matters most for the opening round; the best pair get a bye, the next play at home, and the last pair play on the road.

Switching to single elimination throughout would be a step forward here, helping the better teams advance without shutting the door on underdogs. (A ~70% chance for the higher seed sounds right.) It would put MLS Cup before the international break, too.

tallguy, Unak78 and JasonMa repped this.
  14. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I'd be okay with a single game playoff series, But I don't see them getting rid of the Home-and-Away format once the league splits into 4 divisions, unless the team with the most points in the Conference wins the home field advantage. That would save two weeks of time and the MLS Cup could be held on the weekend following the November international break (giving time to sell/distribute tickets and hype the game up). Soccer is still playable in Mid-November, but the longer you wait, the colder it gets up north. I was at the Impact-TFC playoff game last year and there was half a foot of snow on the ground in Montreal on Nov 22nd.

15. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Still hoping that division splits do not happen, nor do I think that it's necessary unless the league is simply looking to save more money on travel. A conference rotation that maintains the same conference competition makeup with fewer cross-conference matchups would suffice. I am dead against divisions in this league. Hopefully they do not capitulate but who knows...

Looking at TFC's current season, for me, they're already the champions if they win the SS because they are probably the best team we've ever seen in MLS history. The narrative that surrounds this team concerning the playoffs is telling. I've heard multiple commentators talking about their playoff chances and... in any other of the Big 4 sports, they would be the clear favorites but here noone wants to make that call because MLS' playoff recent history has proven to favor wild-card teams almost every time. The playoffs actually work against teams who do well in the regular season. I've heard Max & Herc say this and I've heard Taylor Twellman say it. And they're not wrong. Basically the idea that I get from them is that it is almost better for TFC to lose enough games to fall back into a wild-card spot, but that wouldn't be prescribed bc they also say that you want to be a team needed a major unbeaten or win streak in order to make it into one of those spots. In other words you want to barely make the playoffs on a win streak. This is the only sport whose playoffs almost require mediocrity to enter the playoffs with an advantage.

In my mind, I don't think that there is a rhyme or reason or even a best strategy for the playoffs, it's simply a crap-shoot at times. The parity nature of the league makes it more-so. Granted, a good enough team should be able to win regardless. The format does (and wrongfully so) emulate the Champions League format and we do see teams that are dominant enough to navigate it successfully despite the fact that it favors noone. So I am actually hopeful that TFC is good enough to earn a deserved MLS Cup and stamp their claim to greatness without the advantages that NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB teams all enjoy. But they will have less room for error than top teams in those leagues enjoy. But the narrative shouldn't favor mediocrity.

In my mind, as the system currently stands, I think TFC's strategy should be to win out and enter the playoffs on as much of a run as possible. To not take their foot off the pedal. I've heard Max & Herc suggest resting players and trying to stay healthy and I think that this may be the exact wrong thing to do since it will play against the whole "go into the playoffs on a run" strategy that works for some of the wild-cards that we've seen win. TFC will win the SS this year and they are good enough to win in the playoffs on current form. The question is what form will they enter the playoffs on? Personally, yeah they're peaking, but they've been peaking almost the entire season. They only time they could have been considered to be playing at a lower level than now is at the beginning of the season when they were merely drawing most of their games, but they weren't losing either. The difference now is that they're winning alot of the away games that they were splitting points on earlier in the season.

With TFC it's not just that they're getting results, it's how they're playing when they do so. They have the most goals and the fewest allowed. They're one of the few MLS teams that you can watch play and concievably think that you're watching an EPL team every match. Almost every player on the field handles their first touch well and doesn't give up possession easily under pressure. Defensive errors aren't the reason opposing teams tend to score on them, when you score on TFC you actually are forced to beat their defense because they rotate and cover defensively rather than scrambling players out of position and leaving holes all over the field... they simply don't panic. Even on the counter they simply slow down the advancing team and slowly rotate their shape into place with the players that are in position to maintain it. It's something special, so I actually think that this team can win in spite of the setup and would probably put more of the blame on TFC than the system if they don't, because this team is good enough to win regardless. Real Madrid should win the UCL despite that system favoring noone,... TFC is that much better than the rest of MLS imo.

Still think the format needs changing, but this season is all on TFC bc the system should not matter. I think this team defies most of our existing assumptions about winning in the playoffs. The way that they play isn't getting "figured out" or overcome by a team on a hot streak.

16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind divisions so much as MLS ramps up to a 24 team league so long as the league keeps the two conference setup and simply divides each conference into two divisions with 7 teams each.

Playoffs could consist of the two division winners who get a first round bye. The next four best teams could, like now, play a wild card round pitting the team with the third best record in the division against the team with the sixth best record. The teams with the fourth and fifth records in each conference would go at it in the other wild card game.

But this is where I'd change things -- the conference semi-finals and finals ought to be single elimination games played at the home field of the team with the best regular season record. I'd just throw the surviving wild card teams into the conference semi-finals with the two surviving teams with the best records hosting the conference semi-finals in a single elimination game. The conference final would again be hosted by the surviving team with the best regular season record in a single elimination game.

Right now, the only thing that matters is to be the hot team going into the playoffs because, with the two-legged conference semi-finals and finals format, the team with the better regular season record has no better odds than a team that just slipped into the playoffs in the final game of the season.

17. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    #92 Coyote89, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Single-elimination exposes the better regular season team to fluke upsets. A playoff series (even a short one) gives the better team a chance to make up for a bad one-time performance with a good one.

I realize the Supporters Shield winner has only claimed the MLS Cup less than 1/3rd of the time. But that may still be a higher percentage than single-elimination sports like the NFL or NCAA basketball. Meanwhile, in the NBA, the better regular season team usually prevails in the playoffs because its a series.

If finishing first in the standings is really that important, then go to a single table and get rid of the playoffs like most other countries. But do that in a 22-28 team league with no promotion or relegation rules, and no truly meaningful international competition on the line, and 80% of the fans will tune-out late in the season.

By the way, there are ways to increase the importance of the Supporters Shield. Give that team a double-bye or even a free pass all the way to the MLS Cup final. Supporters Shield winner is automatically in while everyone else battles for the right to face them. That also means the two teams in the final could come from the same conference, which I'd argue is more fair too.

18. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Just playing Devil's Advocate, but wouldn't the lack of a knockout round and 2-leg format help protect a dominant regular season team like TFC from a flukish upset? Under the current format, they don't really get a home field advantage, but they avoid single-elimination which means they can make up for a bad performance with a good one.

I know the actual results don't seem to bear that out as the winner of the Supporters Shield has only won the MLS Cup about 1/3rd of the time. But that may still be a higher ratio than just about any sport with a single elimination playoff. How often does the team with the best NFL record win the Super Bowl? How often does the NCAA basketball team with the #1 overall national seed win the NCAA tournament? It seems like it's the sports that have a playoff series where the better regular season team has the higher chance to prevail. So, even if the series is just 2 games, it should help the better team.

All of that said, I don't like the away goals tie-breaker. That needs to go. Settle aggregate ties with OT and penalty kicks.

19. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish there were no playoffs and a simple emphasis on the Shield for regular season 1st Division Champion and an even greater emphasis on USOC as the true national champion. And for that matter, why can't we have "Shields" in D2, D3 etc. ?

But that ship has sailed, so I would simply wish for only the top 8 teams with single elimination up to and including the final. We need to shorten the playoffs to either allow for later start to the year, an earlier end to the year or real off weeks during FIFA dates. 8 might be too small for a league going to 22-24-26 whatever, so you may have to go to 16, but for goodness sakes, keep single elimination. Make home field throughout the reward for the Shield.

20. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the 1st leg of the Seattle-Vancouver series, I think it's time to bump this thread.

Bruce Arena once said, "You can't win a series in the first leg but you sure can lose it." Both teams were acutely aware of that statement last night. Seattle didn't want to have to dig out of a deficit in Leg 2 and Vancouver didn't want to have to overcome any away goals. Basically, both teams wanted to have a clean slate in the second leg. I'd want the same thing if I was playing the game, too.

Now, perversely, Vancouver will be rewarded for the not attacking at home by being able to go all-out in a bizarro soccer game where their goals count double. This is as a lower seed.

Sure looks like home-and-home with away goals is doing the exact opposite of encouraging entertaining, attacking soccer.

The Franchise repped this.
  21. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Brilliant strategy from Vancouver! The fact that it makes it a chore to watch on tv is not their problem. Commissioner Don Goldstein has gotten exactly what he asked for. Lawsuit anyone?

22. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lawsuit? I don't know if you can sue over defensive tactics in a pro soccer game. Also Don Garber isn't the person responsible for the playoff format. Perhaps he's partially responsible for the fiasco with the Crew by letting an incompetent owner trash the league's reputation and burn bridges with the great fans in Columbus.

Adding to my previous post, I actually think that Seattle made the correct tactical approach too. I remember back in 2014 when my beloved DC United was on the wrong side of the lower seed having all the advantages in the current home-and-home with away goals format. They were the higher seed in 2014 and went on the road to play at the Red Bulls for the first leg. They went for it and lost 2-0. Series over. Won the return leg but by a score of 2-1. Higher seed eliminated by winning on its home field. Goes against the entire point of seeded playoffs, which is that the team that had a worse regular season has to win on the road. To make it worse, the one Red Bull goal was off a counterattack in the first half because DC United was exposed because they had to take risks they wouldn't have had to take if the score started 0-0. They were then down effectively 4-0 because of that away goal.

Why play 90 minute soccer games for eight months then decide a champion in a completely different competition format? Why can't there be a format that forces the lower seed to win on the road?

The Franchise repped this.
  23. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -----------
    Single elimination would help a little. Road team could still pay defense for 120 and aim for PK's. But try to do that 4 rounds to win the cup.....

tallguy, Cavan9 and The Franchise repped this.
  24. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other possible answer is for two-leg ties to go to the higher seed. I like single elimination better, but it would be a strong incentive to be higher seeded.

kingshark, miketd1 and Cavan9 repped this.
  25. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My hot take....within conference should only be single elimination. One team has clearly earned the advantage. But final should be 2 legs since the 2 teams schedules aren't comparable. MLS seems to have reversed the logic.

tallguy repped this.