It's almost 2019,... and lo, the playoffs remain flawed; the defense of the regular ssn continues...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Unak78, Oct 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I agree. And it isn't about results anyway. It's about having some reason for teams to even want the top spots in the regular season and allowing it to mean something. Upsets are still going to happen. Parity will still be preserved, but at least when the upsets do happen they'll have more meaning when it requires a team to overcome the earned advantage that the higher seed attained from the regular season. As it stands, upsets don't really mean much because the MLS Cup playoffs still seem far too removed from the regular season results.

BHTC Mike repped this.
  2. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, that too.

Though, it's possible that higher ticket prices for the "special" one-off, only-home-playoff-game-you-get-unless-you-host-the-conference-final could off-set a big portion of that. The midweek games still aren't huge sellers.

Right now the 5 and 6 seeds get no guaranteed home game, and about a 25% chance of hosting even one. All they'd really be losing is the chance.

3 and 4 seeds get one guaranteed home game, a ~75% chance of hosting a second, and a ~45% chance of hosting a third. But the first one is in a narrow window for ticket sales, and fans know that they may host a better game only three or four days later.

1 and 2 seeds get one guaranteed home game, and a ~55% chance of hosting a second.

So moving to single-elimination, all the same teams get the same number of guaranteed home games, they only lose the chance to host extra games beyond the first.

The league in total loses six playoff games. Admittedly, that's not nothing.

That said, I can live with the current format, if they'd just get rid of the away goals tiebreaker.

And move the final back to a neutral site.*

*I find it telling that for years the BigSoccer smart consensus was that a non-neutral site final was "impossible" for the league to schedule. And now, a few years later, it's "impossible" to consider the league ever moving back or being able to sell tickets at a neutral venue.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1964/65 European Cup quarter-final
    First-leg Cologne 0 - 0 Liverpool 39,139
    Second-leg Liverpool 0 - 0 Cologne 48,948
    Replay (played in Amsterdam with one weeks notice) Liverpool 2 - 2 Cologne 47,862
    Liverpool won on the toss of a coin, thus UEFA came up with different ways of settling "ties" (can't think of another word).

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think settling conference titles separately outside of playoffs gives the regular season a higher profile.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, if you want to see more higher seeded teams in the conference finals and MLS Cup championship game, you almost have to go to a single elimination tournament. A less radical option would be to give the higher seeded team the choice of whether it wants to place the 1st game at home rather than the 2nd game at home.

The owners would have to give up the home game revenue that lowered seeded teams get for playing in the Divisional and Conference Finals rounds, though. Don't they'd go for that.

Even so, it's unfortunate in terms of television viewership that only lower seeded teams are playing in the conference finals and will be playing in the MLS Cup game.

6. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Well Colorado got through, so there is that. Still, like I said, I'm not against upsets, it's just the feeling that most upsets don't feel earned. It helps that both TFC and Mtl won both matches in their series, however the higher seem might have played differently had they played at home knowing that they still had an advantage or not worrying about goal differential. I think that people feel that playing second is a more tangible advantage than it really is bc we see it played out that way all the time in the CCL, but that's just because the teams that we tend to lose to in the second match are Mexican clubs who are simply better. Montreal and RSL both had the same advantage and still lost.

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    A hosted final makes for more partisan crowd and much better television. Plus, its a big incentive for teams that clinch a play-off birth to keep winning during the regular season ("If we keep get to the final, we will host it").

As for the main topic, I like the away goals rule. It makes the away push, and creates do or die situations in the 2nd leg. However, I do think commentators over emphasize it ("They'll be more than happy to not give up an away goal and tie 0-0" Really, you do realize it's better to win 10-9 and give up 9 away goals than to tie?).

My only slight tweak would be to not have the rule if it goes to overtime. It seems unfair that the away goal counts more then, especially as the home team earned the right to host the second leg by being better during the regular season.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    British commentator's still say "away goals count double" when in fact away goals are a tiebreaker.

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That is the current MLS rule. Overtime goals do not count as away goals.

ukraine76 repped this.
  10. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With multiple rounds of playoffs to get through first, it's just way too contingent to matter. In Toronto, regular season finish was all about getting a home playoff game for the first time ever, and trying to get a bye. No one even talked about hosting the final until the conference final.

Unak78 repped this.
  11. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, the home and away format for the conference finals and the conference semi-finals evens the playing field - there's really no advantage to finishing with the better regular season record in those rounds. Mainly, teams just want to finish with a good enough record to to get a bye and avoid the wild card play-ins.

The Franchise repped this.
  12. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We talked about it in Colorado, and I believe the coach or players did as well.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And how'd that work out?

14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Shitty! But it did makes care about the end of the regular season. Well, that and the Supporters Shield.

15. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Funny is that they had it right before, with a three-game-first-to-five-point series. MLS playoffs should be structured like this:

WildCard round: 1 game
    Conf. Semis: 3-game series
    Conf. finals: 1 game
    MLS Cup final: 1 game

The whole tournament would have the same six dates it has today, but it would be better and fairer, imho.

Unak78 repped this.
  16. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    A few more quotes from last year that I missed... will be more this year once the playoffs start. I love MLS but unfortunately I'm looking at TFC today who is quite possibly, the deepest and most talent-laden roster in MLS history, and there's a much better than 50% chance that they will NOT win the title. No other N.American sport has worse odds for the best regular season team since the aggregate series began and especially since the away goals rule. It's smarter money to not bet on TFC hoisting the MLS cup than to bet on them.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/20...eattle-sounders-cup-jeff-agoos-regular-season
    It's not about eliminating upsets, folks, it's about the narrative...
    https://www.bigdsoccer.com/2016/12/2/13812606/the-mls-playoff-format-is-failing-the-league

Cavan9 repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Unak78
    upload_2017-6-30_12-15-18.png
    upload_2017-6-30_12-15-30.png
    Successful home advantage in the second leg of the last 16 does not necessarily translate in subsequent rounds, however. While almost three-quarters of the sides playing away in the first leg in the last 16 go through, that figure drops to 59% in the quarter-finals; while only 36% of teams away first in a semi-final qualify. That decline is logical given that the draw for the quarter-finals and beyond is completely open, compared with the round of 16 where the eight group winners play the first leg away from home.
    http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2219279.html

AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #68 Unak78, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    The talent disparity in UEFA as well as the very structure of the tournament (unseeded after the first round of the knockout) makes any type of useful comparison impossible for MLS' purposes. Which is the problem with using UEFA's CL as a model in the first place. Perhaps even the problem with using the two leg system altogether.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the UEFA Champions League Quarterfinals and Semifinals combined, the first leg away club advanced 34 times and was eliminated 32 times. In the eight seasons there was a Playoff Round before the Group Stage, the first leg away club advanced 28 times (35 percent) and was eliminated 52 times. The Playoff Round has seeded and unseeded clubs, but being seeded doesn't affect what leg a club hosts, and exactly half of the first legs were hosted by seeded clubs.

20. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    How about instead of doing away goals, just go to extra time on any aggregate tie, and then if it's still tied after extra time, let the team with the better regular season record automatically go through instead of doing penalties. That way, the team with the better record gets a legitimate reward, the extra time stays exciting since one team will have to fight for a goal to avoid elimination, and best of all, no penalty shootouts!

Unak78, The Franchise and Cavan9 repped this.
  21. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good idea! Definitely better than what exists now.

Unak78 repped this.
  22. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Then what's to keep the better team from parking the bus all game to guarantee advancing?

KCbus repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the method used in the promotion playoffs in Spain. The added twist is that the away goals rule is still used in extra time. So the only time the "higher seed" tiebreaker is used is if both legs have identical inverted scores (1-0, 0-1, etc.) and the extra time is scoreless.

nlsanand repped this.
  24. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Nothing.

But that's not actually a problem and this fear is overstated. It's not different than if the better team scored first early in the game.

All you've effectively done is let the higher-seeded team start with a half-goal lead. The other team will have to attack to advance, and the two-legged tie can never be tied at any point. Therefore there is no possibility of both teams closing up shop in favour of taking their chances in penalties.

Granted, I don't think the league should do this as I don't think the playoffs are in need of a radical fix--I just think using away goals is idiotic. But this critique of the proposal always comes up, and is always misguided.

Unak78, Cavan9 and The Franchise repped this.
  25. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would it take to completely eliminate the "playoffs"? Why not just have the regular season Eastern Conference Champion play the regular season Western Conference Champion for the league title? Am I the only one who sees how unfair a "playoff" is for determining a league champion?

Ferdinand Cesarano repped this.