It's almost 2019,... and lo, the playoffs remain flawed; the defense of the regular ssn continues...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Unak78, Oct 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The problem with seeding in MLS is that because of call-ups for summer tournaments the schedule is not equal for all teams. Some teams lost keys players for the Copa America/Olympics/Euros, others did not. So giving too much advantage to higher seeded teams based solely on regular season records is not exactly fair.

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #28 Unak78, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    I see what you're saying, but those tournaments are continental championships that do not involve regular seasons and the merits of seeding can be disputed. They are not being used as the culmination to a league format where 30+ games should be accounted for. Too many Americans equate our own playoffs to champions league formats (of which CCL is our own) and fail to note the fundamental differences between the two types of competitions.

4. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #29 Unak78, Nov 2, 2016
    All very relevant, but this is a failing of MLS' scheduling priorities and shouldn't excuse extrapolating such failings further across the entire format.

Regardless of those lost player games, I'd wager that a higher percentage of player games are still lost in the NFL due to injury which does not discourage that league from awarding proper seeding advantages. Overall, even taking the impact of lost games to FIFA windows, 32 games minus maybe a half dozen window games is far more representative of quality than a maximum 6 match sprint that is the playoffs. Which is not to say that the regular season should trump the playoffs, but it does build skepticism as to how deserving the champion is when the playoffs go as far as they do to minimize it's impact.

In addition, is isn't different from clubs in other leagues as well as our own who also weigh in cup competition, continental titles etc. As it is, most teams end up having an equal possibility of losing players to international games which becomes a question for the coach and technical staff to manage their resources. Unlike injuries, players are signed with full knowledge of whether or not they might be subject to NT selection. Building quality throughout the depth of the roster is built into the requirements of success. Coaches, technical staff, scouts and reserves all recieve winners medals and championship rings so why should we design flaws into our playoffs on the basis that they're being forced to become a factor for their team? In the end, higher seed advantage would hardly discourage MLS teams from signing players likely to be called up so the fundamental logic is that this deficit is largely mitigated because these variables are expected and built into the team's planning.

At some point yoi have to trust the regular season. If we can't trust it to award seeding, then why do we even trust it to award playoff spots in the first place? This is a circumstance which is far more permanent and final than seeding or home advantage. In my opinion this type of argument is paradoxical against itself unless we just opt to separate the regular season and playoffs entirely and just invite all teams into the post season, especially since many aren't at all opposed to lowering the number of playoff teams entirely.

The Franchise repped this.
  5. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #30 KCbus, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Every year, someone tries to look at the results and then retroactively decide the format sucks.

First of all, a lower seed shouldn't be able to run up the score and then park the bus. But that shouldn't be because of the format. It should be because the better team in that series shouldn't pull a complete no-show in the first leg. Dallas was the best team in the league over the course of the entire season, but they shouldn't be given such an advantage that the only thing they need to do is show up and wander around for 90 minutes to advance. They have the home field advantage; it's not the format's fault if they're not able to TAKE advantage.

As for the DC fans who were perplexed and disgusted -- cry me a river. We can disagree about the format, but it wasn't exactly a secret. And no one in Seattle was robbed or cheated. There was nothing unfair. They lost.

This I agree with. Soccer's supposed to be about getting results in 90-minute periods.

@Stan Collins started a thread on this idea a couple years back; I searched for it but couldn't find it... his idea was: Play home and away, with the higher seed hosting second. If each team wins one match, or if both matches are drawn, the two teams immediately take the field for Game 3, which is a 30-minute minigame. That way, you have a best-of-three played on two matchdays, a lopsided result in Game 1 doesn't render a Game 2 potentially meaningless, Game 3 results in homefield advantage for the higher seed, and everyone who qualifies gets to host at least once.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC this was the format MLS used at one point. It is essentially a 2-legged series based on points and not goal aggregate. I remember in the past something weird about how the overtime was actually a separate game like this though.

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

In the ShootOut era, they used a straight-up best of three.

Then, they had what they called "first to five" -- a three-game (if necessary) series where the team with the most points won. Then, the minigame if necessary as a tiebreaker. But in that format, the minigame would come AFTER Game 3. In the format I'm talking about/suggesting, the minigame WOULD BE Game 3.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, that's where I got confused. It was after game 3.

But essentially what you propose is a 2-legged series where its points and not goals that decide the series. If they're tied on points the 3o minutes of extra time would be played.

In your idea would you treat game 3 as a whole new game or a continuation of game 2?

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if it were up to me, I would treat game 3 as its own entity. Any available players can be selected, and any reductions due to red cards are restored and you start 11 v 11.

The question then becomes whether or not you use total goals as a tiebreaker if the minigame ends in a draw. I personally wouldn't, and would just call the series even and go to PK's, but I could be persuaded.

Len and Cavan9 repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though you would then need to take any yellow or red cards from game 2 into account for who's available in game 3. Obviously a player who got red in game 2 would be out if you treated it as OT of game 2 but if a person picks up their 2nd yellow in game 2 they would be allowed to play OT of game 2 but not in a "new" game 3 due to suspension for caution accumulation.

11. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 Cavan9, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    We pretty much agree. I'm not complaining about the format because my favorite team lost. I'm complaining because like you, I don't like the fact that the playoffs aren't decided by 90 minute soccer games. I'm just adding in the point about a how the current format actually gives the lower seed an advantage and that makes no sense.

If you look at how the conditions on the ground evolve over time in an aggregate series and how close together the MLS teams are in talent, playing at home first is an advantage when you add away goals in the mix. Most of the away goals have come off of counterattacks in the second leg. Home field advantage is so strong in MLS that most away teams don't have enough posession on the road when the score is 0-0 to get an away goal in the first leg. You'll notice that the better teams only beat the bottom feeders on the road in the regular season. They rarely beat the other playoff teams on road and even when they do, it's off of counterattacks.

I thought it was equally stupid in 2015 when DC United lost its home leg 1-0 to the Red Bulls but were very much still in the series until the end of the second game when the Red Bulls finally scored again. Even more, if they took at 2-0 lead at the Red Bulls, they would have put the series away. This is as a lower seed who lost their home game. Just stupid. The Red Bulls should have had a home field advantage and they didn't.

Unak78 repped this.
  12. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of a team who got knocked out of the playoffs on the away goals rule, I'm OK with it. In 2014 Seattle and FCD tied 0-0 in Seattle and 1-1 in Frisco and we were out. Everyone knows the rules of the competition beforehand. Deal with it. To me it's less arbitrary than PKs.
    Along with the other flaws previously mentioned in Wahl's World Cup style group playoffs, often one of the last two games in the group are meaningless. I've been to a couple of these games at the World Cup. While it's great to be at a World Cup game, it kind of sucks to be at a meaningless game. Speaking of meaningless games, I get to go to a game Sunday night where my team is already losing 3-0 and has almost no chance of overcoming the deficit.
    Say what you will about playoffs in our other American pro sports, but there's never a meaningless playoff game or one where you're losing the game before it starts.

13. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Don't know if this is the place to put it, but the Playoffs are going to lose their momentum once the International Break hits.

Does the USSF have any recourse to petition FIFA to permanently change the international dates from the 2nd week in November to the Last week of November/First week of December? Then the playoff momentum would carry through and the season will finish before Thanksgiving, rather than December 10th.

Does anybody else find that date to be ridiculously late? If the game is in Toronto or Denver, there's going to be snow on the field.

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA doesn't give two flying shits about what dates MLS plays their playoffs.

sitruc, The Franchise and JasonMa repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

I'm up for Snow Classico III

The Franchise and Unak78 repped this.
  16. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #41 Unak78, Nov 3, 2016
    This would go pretty much all the way towards satisfying my main concerns. Even before the away goals rule I felt that determining ties on goals scored was the major problematic function. Though I liked Grant Wahl and other's group stage format suggestion, it obscured the fact that a simple fix like what KCBus suggests would easily satisfy the need to award true home advantages earned by higher seeds through a 32 match season.

And the reason for such a change is fundamental, not results-oriented. Such a fix may not largely change the rate at which higher seeds win series by very much, and that isn't important. If such a system was used and all of the lower seeds still won every opening round series, then it wouldn't be called proof of the system's flaws which many will come out the next day and say "See, it didn't change anything. Let's go back to doing what we were doing before." But in doing so, they would fail to see that the results aren't the point. The point is that all earn the right to displace the higher seeds by offsetting the advantage the team's earned by beating them outright at their home. That's what makes being a higher seed worthwhile. If you're not forced to win some type of game away, then it's not a true advantage and you're given incentive to sandbag games at little expense to your post-season ambitions. If you can trade-off the Supporters Shield in the final regular season match, as with LA and Seattle, then come back and beat that team with simply an away goal then what was the higher seed really worth? Fatiguing your team for a second-rate trophy? Had they been forced to win a mini game-3, I would be satisfied that they'd overcome that deficit earned during the regular season.

Now there is the fact that the lower seeds currently play a mid-week game going into the first round, which does satisfy me as a sufficient disadvantage for one round (yes this does mean that higher seeds should have no excuses for this round); but there are two problems with this. First, it doesn't address the Conference finals. Second, and perhaps even more importantly, how long do you expect MLS to remain at 12 playoff teams with plans to expand to 24 teams within a handful of years? I do not expect MLS' owners to stick to 12 just to maintain the earned competitive imbalance with potential late-season fan apathy in the balance and a system that has no relegation. The playoffs will ultimately match NHL and NBA and go to 16 if MLS ultimately expands to 30 teams. This I would wager money on. So the days that this can be called a real advantage are numbered and when the byes no longer exist, MLS will be forced to find another means of awarding a true advantage to higher seeds.

17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that 4 out of 12 teams in the playoffs can already be knocked out without hosting a game, would a seeded group stage where higher seeds host all games really be that much of a problem for MLS? That would create the appropriate incentive to play for higher seeds in the regular season, would have 3/4 of the playoff field hosting at least one game, and if used to reduce a 16-team playoff field to four group winners, would have the playoffs completed in the same six matchdays it takes now.

18. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Well, the MLB playoffs just recently expanded to 10 out of 30 teams. I remember when 4 out of 28 teams used to make the playoffs, so 12 of 28 is still over 42% of the teams. I'm betting that in a 4-division MLS the playoff format will be the division leader gets a bye, while the second place teams play a play-in round against the two Conference wild-card teams with the best records from either division. I can't see them going to a 14 or 16-team playoff format until they reach 32 teams, but even then the NFL only has 12 teams that make the playoffs. But when you only have to be better than 4 other teams in your division to make the playoffs, the odds aren't too bad.

19. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From 1996 to 2009, most teams made the playoffs. The league started with an eight team format, and kept it through 2010, when there were sixteen teams. In 2011 though, rather than having fewer than half the league make the playoffs, the play-in game was added. When the league went to twenty teams in 2015, rather than have only half the teams qualify, the play-in round was expanded.

In 21 seasons, MLS has had half the teams qualify only once, and that was for cutting 16 to 8. Never has the league used a format which would be more restrictive. 20 of 21 seasons have had over half the teams advance. When the league reaches 24, I expect only conference champions to have a bye.

20. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But it'll never happen, because stupid people will complain that "it's too random"* and the league wants the playoffs to be long and drawn out, even though the international break kills all the momentum every season.

*It's not. It's a huge advantage compared to the two-legged format. And still avoids the scheduling problems of a multiple game series.

Unak78 and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be patient with me. I gave this idea barely any thought whatsoever.

In Rugby League's anglo-French Super League they have a "magic weekend" with all teams playing at the same stadium over a weekend. The original idea was to spread the appeal of the game geographically.

So let's incorporate that into the MLS playoffs by having 4 playoff games, played over the same weekend at a neutral venue in a possible expansion city to gauge interest and promote MLS soccer.

In addition, let's separate out the Conference Championships from the MLS Cup. This increases the importance of the regular season.

And although the top 6 teams from each Conference would qualify for the playoffs, they would be seeded on overall record rather than in-conference record. Bear with me...

This is how it would work

Week 1

Conference Championships at higher placed team's stadium
    • Western Conference title (#1 seed Dallas vs #2 Colorado)
    • Eastern Conference title (#3 New York Metros vs #4 New York City)

Preliminary playoffs at neutral stadium
    • Tie 1: 5th seed vs 12th seed (Toronto vs Philadelphia)
    • Tie 2: 6th seed vs 11th seed (LA Galaxy vs Montreal)
    • Tie 3: 7th seed vs 10th seed (Seattle vs DC)
    • Tie 4: 8th seed vs 9th seed (SKC vs RSL)
    Week 2 (two-legged)
    • Tie 5: Dallas vs winner game 4
    • Tie 6: Colorado seed vs winner game 3
    • Tie 7: NYRB seed vs winner game 2
    • Tie 8: NYC seed vs winner game 1
    Week 3 (two-legged)
    • Tie 9: tie 5 vs tie 8
    • Tie 10: tie 6 vs tie 7
    Week 4
    • MLS Cup final
    By the way, a don't think having a rest week is an advantage. In fact rested teams seem to go into their next games a bit rusty.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So one non-MLS city gets all four of the first round games? How do neutral site games help with anything? Yes, people in that city might pay more attention but what difference would it make overall? And all the fans of a particular team would have to travel.

A straight seeded tournament might make the regular season more important but it probably wouldn't. Teams are either playing to win or they aren't. Their exact place in the tournament isn't going to be known until the very end. You are also seeding by records that were compiled against very different opponents. A straight-seeded tournament also means that you could wind up with 4 finalists all from the same part of the country. That doesn't seem very useful.

Please don't call the rounds "ties". That is not a soccer term. It is a British sports term and it is not used in that way in U.S. (or Canadian, as far as I can tell) English.

I like having the rounds be two-legged in a single week. But that could be done more easily now with geographic semifinals instead of national ones.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they want to play in their own city they should get more points :cool:

I was not aware "tie" was not used this way in America and Canada, but as we invented the language and the sport I hope you forgive me. ;)

24. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #49 Unak78, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    No, the real reason is money. Pure and simple. You are never going to convince owners to give up guaranteed home playoff games. They sell well even for teams that traditionally struggle with attendance.

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home field in MLS Cup IS a gigantic advantage. I know from first-hand experience. I went to that match last year in my home stadium, and watched my team -- ah, shit.

JasonMa and Unak78 repped this.