Italy's upcoming friendlies: Saudi Arabia, France, and Netherlands

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, May 19, 2018.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Here is Mancini's Squad:

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan), Mattia Perin (Genoa), Salvatore Sirigu (Torino);

Defenders: Leonardo Bonucci (Milan), Mattia Caldara (Atalanta), Domenico Criscito (Zenit), Danilo D’Ambrosio (Inter), Mattia De Sciglio (Juventus), Emerson Palmieri Dos Santos (Chelsea), Alessio Romagnoli (Milan), Daniele Rugani (Juventus), Davide Zappacosta (Chelsea);

Midfielders: Daniele Baselli (Torino), Giacomo Bonaventura (Milan), Bryan Cristante (Atalanta), Alessandro Florenzi (Roma), Jorginho (Napoli), Rolando Mandragora (Crotone), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma);

Forwards: Mario Balotelli (Nice), Andrea Belotti (Torino), Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo), Federico Bernardeschi (Juventus), Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina), Ciro Immobile (Lazio), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Matteo Politano (Sassuolo), Simone Verdi (Bologna), Simone Zaza (Valencia)

Honestly I love this squad. The only think though is I would have preferred to see Benassi over Baselli. Also where is Verratti? Is he injured? Chiellini is injured as well I guess.

I cannot even express how happy I am to see MARCHISIO back!!!!!!

Rosay repped this.
  2. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I like the Squad. The question marks I have are in the selections of Mandragora (too young), Sirigu (why), D'Ambrosio (would have preferred Barreca)

3. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    glad to see Balotelli, Mandragora, Berardi, Cristante, Baselli, and Caldara there, young studs, love that Marchisio is back too.
    he's a wily vet turned Vice Pirlo. I'm a big fan of Verdi. closest thing we have to TQ right now

4. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This is a very good list of 30 by Mancini. The only changes I might make are...

Cutrone for Zaza (Zaza sucks. I've been saying that from the moment Sassuolo arrived in Serie A.)

Barella for Marchisio (Marchisio barely plays anymore. Give the young guy a chance in these friendlies).

Calabria for Palmieri (I know that Calabria is a RB, but with D'Ambrosio, Criscito and De Sciglio all able to play LB, I would give the youngster some caps. Besides Palmieri isn't even an Oriundi).

That's about it. Another possible switch would be to get Benassi in the squad over Mandragora (or keep both and have 31 players)...but I'm okay regardless.

Let the new era begin!!

5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #5 Nek Sanalet, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Verratti is injured and Chiellini retired from the national team.

But a starting midfield of Jorginho, Cristante, and Pellegrini, with Verratti benched is not impossible in the near future when all are healthy (especially if Verratti's indifferent form continues).

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know he said that, but I hope Mancini can try to get him back. I really feel he still has more to offer.

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I do question that a bit. Although who would be our third goalkeeper with Buffon retiring though?

I don't trust Marchetti. Sportiello maybe?

D'Ambrosio I don't know too much about.

And yes I do believe Mandragora might be a little too young, but we'll see.

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I really am glad to see Marchisio back. I think he can do great things and will still be around for Euro 2020. Pirlo was about that age in 2014 World Cup and was arguably our best player in that WC.

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Switch Jorginho with Marchisio, but otherwise yes. Cristante and Pellegrini look promising.

10. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Not a bad selection at all. I swear a lot of Italians complain about the team being crap but they're scared to try something new. I actually saw a few people on social media asking where is the old guys smh it's like we need to start getting ready for the Euro's now, those guys are done man. I've been waiting for a change for years and I'm just waiting to see what the starting 11 looks like.

11. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Darmian looks good when he plays for the azzurri but I can understand why he wasn't called. He can't get a game at club level so the question you have to ask yourself is what kind of fitness is he in. El Shaarawy deserved a call but it's not like he would have gotten any kind of real minutes anyways. Oh and for the people I see on social media asking for seba just stop it, just stop it! I'm from toronto, I've watch every TFC game this season and he has like what ? 2 goals ? He hasn't done nothing even close to worth a call up, not even close! Another thing is he's too small for this level. I know people will bring up insigne but insigne is much quicker than seba, and more skilled on the ball. If seba was ever going to get a shot it was last season. This season he hasn't done anything!

12. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well Spot On. Also Darmian has made some brutal mistakes for us before. He was at fault for a few goals we conceded in the past.

13. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    Weak squad. Can’t see a result against France or the Dutch but hopefully they can score one against the Saudis.

14. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sweet, finally a squad that's not 100 years old.

15. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy coached properly is better than France, and the Netherlands. The fact is though will we be coached properly is the question. These players are great and under a good coach, we would be favorites, but Mancini will need time, and we don't know if he is gonna be a good coach or not.

16. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    You think you guys have a better team on paper then France?

17. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Dude stop,
    No who said that? your pretty boring...go away already

18. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    He said Italy coached properly was better then France. Just wanted clarification.

19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well its kind of hard to say, but on paper, if everyone is at their best I'd say us and France are probably comparable. France definitely has a lot more depth in attack, but our defense is much better. Midfield is pretty equivalent. Although France's midfielders are currently in a little better form than ours. Speaking of that though, Pogba's form is dreadful. Kante and Matuidi are in form right now. For Italy, Marchisio and Verratti are our best midfielders, and neither of them are currently in form.

However though, France is not managed well at all. Deschamps is definitely not getting the best out of his players. If we were coached properly, I feel tactically we would be superior to Deschamp's France.

Honestly many people overrate France. If you want my honest opinion, in the World Cup, Spain, Brazil, Germany, Croatia, and maybe even Belgium, I would consider as favorites against them.

The fact is, is that when people judge teams, many people just look at the attack. In that case France might be second best after Argentina, but seriously there is a lot more to football than just the attack. That is why you see teams like France and Argentina overrated. Many people are even saying that France is better than Spain, and honestly Spain has looked amazing under their new coach, and I feel is a huge contender to win it. If France and Spain faced each other, I would tip a score like 3-1 to Spain.

20. Rac93

Rac93 Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 29, 2017
    Only place I see Italy being better is at CB. Only other Italian I can see making Frances’s 11 is Veratti. France always have talented teams but you never know what you are going to get.

21. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Florenzi is class. Jorghino is a good player who would find a spot in the French team. I think right now France is better on paper, but we will see in a few years. I think Federico Bernardeschi is going to be a break out star next season.

22. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    I agree. I don't see anything special about it either. A couple of things though.

We took you to penalties with a pretty poor squad two years ago and were missing our entire starting midfield. In tournament terms that's still fresh. It's the last one played, obviously the world cup is coming up and we won't be there. But it's fair to say we have achieved a lot in our footballing history and a lot more than others have, and ever will.

Which brings me to my second and most important point. As great as football is, it is not life. When you have a good life and are happy and content with it, you don't need a football team to do well to be happy. When you're constantly taking pop shots at others, on the internet of all places. It unfortunately shows us that you're not happy within yourself, and your life. You're seeking joy in trying to bring others down to make yourself feel better. But it's not working. You thrive off misery.

I sincerely wish you well my friend.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  23. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't. I hope buddy isn't around tomorrow breathing. hopefully he's dead

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  24. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chiellini, Florenzi, De Sciglio, Bonucci, Romagnoli, Caldara, and Zappacosta would all start for France.

Verratti would start as well. Marchisio maybe not now, but if he gets back to his old form like he was previously before his injury, I believe he would start as well.

Insigne might start too (not sure), that would depend on the coach, but I wouldn't be surprised if France started Insigne-Griezmann-Mbappe. That is if Insigne was French.

25. Vialli-Toto

Vialli-Toto Member

Milan
    Italy
    Mar 26, 2018
    In all honesty, right now, he already is.

Pietro Calcio and Rosay repped this.