Italy vs Uruguay (Friendly) and vs Liechtenstein (WC Qualifier)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, May 29, 2017.

1. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #101 Nek Sanalet, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    He had 7 goals in 6 games to start the season (including a boatload of assists and doing it in Europe as well). Then he got injured for what seemed like an eternity, and it took some time before he got back in form. But if you watched the last few Sassuolo games (I didn't see all of them, but enough), he was starting to play great down the stretch. Calling him garbage is ludicrous. Especially considering he finished with 9-10 assists for the season, and so much of Sassuolo's offense comes from his right side.

And what striker should be dropped for Balo at this point? Belotti is Italy's best CF. Immobile probably shouldn't be a starter, but he's the best option off the bench IMO based on his attributes. Gabbs is a very clinical forward (with great technique) who would also be great off the bench or the best option after Belotti to start if we go to a lone striker. And while I dislike Eder... at this point he's proven to me that while his domestic career is in shambles, he always shows up for the Azzurri (similar to De Sciglio).

cipro, calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  2. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Bernardeschi can basically play any attacking position other than CF. I was down on him a bit in terms of how he ended the season, but it's pretty apparent that his heart was not with Fiorentina anymore. Had a great game yesterday.

Petagna sucks, but the rest of those players are class.

3. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    it's alright guys. hopefully Montolivo has an injury free season this year and he gets back into good form. last time he was our anchor we made a final. he's been unlucky with the Azzurri ever since (world cup 14 and Euro 16)

No Monty No Party

totti fan repped this.
  4. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A couple things

It was Lichtenstein. Need I say more?

When he is fit, he can start in any midfield in the world. He most certainly is world class, and is the most tactically aware footballer that I have ever seen.

Rosay, Calcio Pauly and calabrese8 repped this.
  5. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Had a feeling you would say that. He's featured against plenty of minnows.

Always with the excuses.

6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Looks like Totti fan found a new member to bite at his trolling. Hey Tfan, while you're at it, remember to inform him that Thiago Motta is generally considered the better player for PSG, ya? :thumbsup:

7. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Look at the midfield against Germany last Euros,

Parolo, Stauro, Giaccherchi, De Sciglio,Florenzi....Italy has come a far way from this midfield last yr. Today none of these guys would be picked, and the team is only improving

Rosay repped this.
  8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I was just explaining that to other people earlier today actually. Although the only reason why we had that midfield vs Germany was because almost everyone was injured and/or suspended. I feel that the team is definitely improving especially the way we attack.

9. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't get me wrong, I rate Lorenzo Insigne very highly (he is one of my favorite players to watch currently), but it is foolish to put so much stock into a game against a team that is ranked 1 spot higher than Sri Lanka in the World Rankings.

10. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Florenzi, if healthy, will be in the squad. And I would not be totally opposed to De Sciglio or Parolo making the plane as well.

Rosay repped this.
  11. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well Florenzi and De Sciglio are some of our best wide players along with Zappacosta.

Rosay repped this.
  12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Insigne has had the better season. He has much more proven potential to cause damage in the front third and he is the more likely to be a matchwinner.

Over all these years I'm still waiting for that brilliant performance Verratti fans can point to and say see, this is what champions are made of.

13. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    PSG vs Barcelona first leg in this year's CL.

Rosay and UdineseFan98 repped this.
  14. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Functional yes, brilliant no:

15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    So Insigne has been brilliant for the Azzurri? Wow, never knew.

Functional...lol...whatever that means.

16. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Spinazzola is turning into a real gem for the Azzurri

calabrese8, Nek Sanalet and UdineseFan98 repped this.
  17. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    played against two canon fodder teams....

18. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lippi's Italy would have won this game 2-1

19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    True and Prandelli's Italy would have lost the friendly to Uruguay 3-1

Rosay and Deleted User x repped this.
  20. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    and Conte's Italy would have had Parolo in the starting lineup

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Only if Marchisio, Verratti, and DDR were all injured.

22. Afghan-Juventus

Afghan-Juventus Member+

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Lol hes been performing at an elite level since 2014.

23. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    but his past style of play and all of his associated accrued injuries have caught up with him.

24. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Marchisio doesn't have the technical skill of world class central midfielders. He also doesn't have an imposing physical stature or a lot of speed. He's solid in a lot of areas and he's tremendously smart. He also has a lot of balls. I just don't rank him in the top few midfielders in the world. If he was that great, Allegri would have been starting him in the CL final instead of Khedira. Again, this is my plain honest opinion as a Juventino.

BTW, I also think Gonzalo is a fat overrated POS and we way overpaid for him but that is for another day.

25. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That second half performance by Khedira showed that Allegri made a mistake, but he also went with Khedira because up until then. Khedira was performing well in Marchisio's absence, making it an easy mistake to make up until the start of the 2nd half when it was evident that Khedira was not going to get any better.