Italy vs Uruguay (Friendly) and vs Liechtenstein (WC Qualifier)

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, May 29, 2017.

1. thinredline10

thinredline10 Member+

Juventus
    Apr 2, 2017

In regards to Ciro... some of you are not going to like this, Balotelli may be an option depending on the following variables.

1. Where he goes
    2. Goals scored
    3. Demeanor and Discipline showed consistently thru the next season
    4. If he can make amends to Buffon, DDR, Giorgio, Leo... who he disrespected in 2010.

I sure hope he comes back if he improves, I dont rate his time at Nice because its a stat pad league and his form was nothing special considering that. Would like to see him move back to Serie A tho at a mid table or lower table team.

, could be a great impact sub at the very least.

2. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I like Verratti a lot, but Insigne was the best Italian player this past season.

Both fill different roles, but Insigne can be really special if he develops more.

Rosay repped this.
  3. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm already looking at the 2nd place teams as I doubt we beat Spain in Spain especially in September.

Assuming we are seeded it's :

Northern Ireland, Ireland, Serbia, Montenegro, Denmark, Slovakia, Greece, Iceland

to name a few.

4. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy's only realistic hope of topping the group is by beating Spain.

Deleted User x and Rosay repped this.
  5. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When has Verratti had a better game for Italy than Insigne had v Lichtenstein yesterday?

6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I just watched the highlights. He had a great match, deserved the #10 today.

Pietro Calcio, Deleted User x and Rosay repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't watch the game against Liechtenstein but I can't remember the last time Italy scored 5 goals in a game. Here are the highlights....

Rosay repped this.
  8. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    May 31st vs the mighty San Marino :)

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wasn't that a freindly?

10. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yes, but you said "in a game" you didn't specify :p and in a friendly is even more impressive, lol, since we have had a recent history of losing or drawing friendlies. Last competitive 5 goal game came vs the mighty Faroe in 2010 though.

Don't worry Falvo, the goals will come@Falc

Rosay and St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    San Marino hasn't been the same since Massimo Bonini retired! ;)

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The Sammarinese Gattuso :)

13. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Nice second half from Gli Azzurri. Bernardeschi and Gabbiadini really helped. So did Eder. Should have been 8-0 but the ref and linesmen were atrocious today.

I just keep thinking that Belotti deserves a better strike partner than Immobile. It's really gnawing at me. Immobile is a great super sub with tons of energy, but you can't shank that many opportunities. He reminds me of Pippo Inzaghi. Infuriating at times but often delivers. I just don't think Immobile should play vs quality teams though.

Who should play in his place? Gabbiadini is one choice. He's a quality striker who can adapt to seconda punta quite easily. Bernardeschi is another choice and probably the one I would go with. He was great yesterday and played mostly at the top of the box. His left foot is ridiculous. He's just very smooth.

I have to admit Insigne was on another level yesterday. Incredible volley goals, spin moves, beautiful assists through traffic. He was doing it all. What a great option to have on the left.

I agree that Ventura has to figure out central midfield. DDR is great but getting old fast. Verratti is an amazing talent, but he needs partner that compliments him well.

14. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Gagliardini made Kessie & Kondogbia look much better when he partnered them. I'm hoping he can be ready to partner Verratti next summer. He's also 6'3'', which will give us more of a physical presence in midfield. De Rossi can serve as a backup.

I agree, the major issue I see is who's either going to partner Belotti, or who's going to be our CAM/Trequartista.

15. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Yes, Gagliardini would solve a lot of problems if he keeps progressing. Given his size, I'd like to see him be a lot more aggressive than he is. He clearly has the talent. Only thing holding him back is the team he plays for :)

BTW, hats off to Atalanta. What an amazing job of developing young talent...Conti, Spinazzola, Gagliardini, Caldara, Petagna. That team has always helped Gli Azzurri's cause.

Rosay repped this.
  16. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can Bernardeschi play in that position though? Isn't he more of an attacking midfielder? He could play behind Belotti I guess.

Claudio Marchisio

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What about Marchisio though?

18. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is going to be on a major decline.

19. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I want to see how he handles it against a real team.

20. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Marchisio was beaten out of the Juve starting lineup but a hobbled Khedira. That's disappointing to me. Marchisio is a solid midfielder. Don't get me wrong. But he doesn't have the size and strength of say a Gagliardini. I'd like that more in a midfield with Verratti (who is tough for his size).

21. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #96 Calcio Pauly, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    That was due partly to Marchisio being hobbled himself.

He's suffered some injuries lately, but still young enough, if he stays healthy, to have an impact.

Baby steps Chooch, with baby steps ;)

22. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Marchisio is one of my favorite players. But he's on the wrong side of 30 and he was never world class to begin with. I don't want 2 central midfielders to a long tiresome WC next year. We need fresh legs.

We have to stop continually accepting players that are well past their prime as starters for the national team. It might shock some to realize that Pirlo was only 27 and Gattuso 28 when we won the World Cup. It's a young man's game. I frankly don't trust Buffon in WC 2018 to be honest. His reflexes have really slowed down.

The generational turnover has to happen now. Gagliardini was a starter the whole year. Marchisio rode the bench most of the year. Time to keep looking towards the future.

ArtemioD, Rosay and afar repped this.
  23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The main reason why Marchisio rode the bench was because he was injured for a very long term, and because he is in his early 30's, he needs time to really get back to his best. As long as he has a good season next season and doesn't get a serious injury again, he should be starting for us. Marchisio is literally one of the best midfielder's in the world at his best. I'd say he is fourth best after Modric, Kroos, and Verratti.

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  24. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I'm a Juventino but even I can't drink that kool-aid.

ArtemioD and Il Ciuccio repped this.
  25. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Marchisio's inclusion will only be dependent on his fitness. That is, if he stays injury free and gets back to full fitness, 31 or not, he'll be hard to replace. In the meantime while he's not, by all means test out the alternatives. Come tournament time you pick who's in their best form, 31, 28 regardless. I agree that Buffon is getting up there. If Donnarumma is the better choice next year because he had the better season, then he should get the nod. His reflexes are certainly better, positionally he still makes some mistakes.

Pietro Calcio and Rosay repped this.