Italy vs Sweden

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Rosay, Jun 14, 2016.

1. legdonor

legdonor Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Firenze
    This.

2. paa10

paa10 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    I am an American in Florida and I grew up hearing my fav sport mocked because of the diving.

As vapid as America is and how lame it's sports are, They have a point.

This all started in 2002, Italy played based and did not play politics with theatrics and were screwed nearly every game.

I get it, It's a side effect of Fifa allowing that to be ok in the games to expand viewer base for smaller countries, but still. There was a great montage on youtube showing all of Italy getting screwed, the bad calls, it was 6 minutes long but it looks like it got pulled, I was gonna post it here.

I just miss the old days where guys kept their feet and their runs on goal were so much more entertaining. We have been not deserving of the sterotype, none the less I dont like seeing it and De Rossi is better then that. It is really not that much to ask for in regards to wanting to feel good about cheering ur team on and not see ur success tarnished by "playing the game" because everyone else is doing it.

That slide tackle De Rossi did on Ibra the Stork was atrocious, he is lucky he did not get a red or yellow, that would have screwed us.

Just because I criticize some one for us does not make me a shill, The Juve forum did the same thing to me over this and I hardly go there because of it.

We should have principals, morals, etc and be vigilant of them otherwise we become one with the rabble.

I want soccer to be the top sport in America so I can watch more then EPL and Bundesliga games. I want to see more then just one game each day for CL games.

This diving bs does not help that and only reinforces American sports which are so full of commercials, its nearly impossible to watch. NFL games have 11 minutes of action and take over 3 hours to complete.

3. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #228 Pietro Calcio, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    and there you have it

4. paa10

paa10 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    We is Italy, the team that had a non existent midfield, forwards who could not dribble forwards or take a controlled first touch, midfielders who would play balls into the box that dipped and bounced short( high schoolers can make those crosses).... a midfield who did not win 50/50 air balls, let the other team control possesion which moved forward while ours frequently went backwards, and a solid backline that saved our tail end but did not look comfortable with their first touch.

Giorgio looked terrible today playing the ball forward.

We have been fortunate in our results thus far and they have worked hard, but today was huge step back if we are going to be honest.

We desperately need a player in the final third who is going to be a consistent threat on the ball and playing it alike.

I really think Insigne/ El Shar and Zaza would produce a significant up tick in results in the final 3rd.

The only solid and consistent guys I see on the field thus far are Leo, Barzaglia, Buffon, Candreva, De Rossi.

That is only 4 out of 10 field players and even today, Candreva did not produce a good ball into the box until past the 60th minute.

5. paa10

paa10 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Have what?

6. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Sorry but No Parolo No Party

Deleted User x repped this.
  7. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Those who want Zaza as the permanent starter, careful what you wish for. He is an impact player. But leading the line is a whole different ball game. Has anyone here ever seen Zaza try to trap or control a ball? It's embarrassing.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  8. paa10

paa10 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    On the plus side, we are thru and have the wiggle room to experiment the next game a bit with new players... I doubt this will happen due to Conte's nature and track record, but at the very least, maybe he will use some different subs. It would be nice if he vets Insigne or El Shar to see if they can fill the void up top we lack and will need against bigger teams.

Ireland plays very hard as well, They broke Montys leg before the last WC... We will see how good our defense is in the next game for sure. I worry that our midfield is gonna get chewed up but maybe I am wrong.

9. paa10

paa10 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    That can be true, but we desperately need some one up top who is physical and will be a threat in that manner, we simply do not have that. Pelle is so far from that and tbh, his first touch and passing is pretty bad.

Eder and Giac are small and get pushed around and their first touch certainly leaves a lot to desire. Those 2 come off to me as impact players, Giac made a nice cross today to Parolo, but the rest of his balls were poor, Eder has an engine on him for running and he plays with heart, but execution collectively on all accounts is below par.

Insigne or El Shar would probaly play at least the same as those 2.

10. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eder proved me wrong. I'll eat crow.

11. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Breaking Montolivo's leg was the biggest favor anyone ever did for Italy. We took advantage of it vs England then Prandelli went full mental and benched Verratti vs Cost Rica.

12. legdonor

legdonor Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Firenze
    I find it slightly comical that people are complaining about Chiellini's long balls, as if they expected them to be better somehow.

I can understand criticism at the team as a whole and midfielders not positioning themselves to receive the ball, but to criticize Chiellini's long ball accuracy seems a little misguided.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  13. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As great as it is to get 1st place in the group, Italy now has a harder path to the final. Having to possibly face Spain next round followed by Germany.

14. Azzurrifan87

Azzurrifan87 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Agreed...our path to the final is now more ridiculous than if we would have finished 2nd or third

15. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #240 Pietro Calcio, Jun 17, 2016
    As group winners we play the runner up of group D

at the moment it could be croatia and I don't want to play them with their idiot fans . what is it with these stupid croatian and serbian fans? ...give it a rest already man

have they sealed at least the 2nd spot with the draw against the Czech Rep. or no?

16. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #241 Pietro Calcio, Jun 17, 2016
    f7cking comical really

win the group and we play runners up group D

2nd place in the group and we play winner of group F

it's almost as if we should have gone for a high 3rd place spot...too late... we won the group pretty much...unless Ireland wins both games

17. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    [​IMG]

Whose child is that on the pitch?

Falc, Rosay, Pietro Calcio and 6 others repped this.
  18. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well if we want to win we're going to have to run into these teams sooner or later

Falc, forza_azzurri, Rosay and 1 other person repped this.
  19. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We do not have first place garantued though.

20. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    true...but I was hoping for the quarters

still think the format sucks

top group teams ( relative to the other top group teams ) shouldn't be rewarded with the runner of up group D

indestructible repped this.
  21. Star-Lord

Star-Lord Member+

Aug 10, 2014
    Uranus
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hopefully Cunte uses his stars on the bench next game. Gabs and Jorginho should have been included.

22. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ireland would need 2 wins to win the group ( against belgium then us )

unlikely but possible

23. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2 games played
    6 points (2 wins)
    3 goals scored
    0 goals conceeded
    3 shots on target against on us

i'll take that any day through 2 games of a group stage

24. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You fail to understand the game, seemingly. Conte's tactics and strategy was lost on you and a handful of others. Meanwhile, I sat back and marveled at the brilliance I was watching. A compact back 3 taking little risk, a calm De Rossi patroling the middle, letting Sweden play a game they are not comfortable with, focusing on width and long balls over a hurried pace that would expose us defensively. It was wonderful stuff. Granted, it was more suited to a draw and I was expecting that result, but that's mainly due to Pelle's mental breakdown and Eder and Candreva not having the touch today. Not on tactics.
    Many on here want to be entertained. I want to win. And from all I've seen, and the results speak for themselves, that's what Conte wants too.
    If you want to be entertained, then visit another nation's forum. We've won 2 out of 2. Results are everything in this game.

But no matter. There are those here who hate Conte. Despise him - no matter what. Stubborn views. That's fine, enjoy waving your flags tonight and this weekend thanks to Santonio Conte.

Bravo Conte. Bravo Italia. FORZA AZZURRI.

forza_azzurri, gumbacicc, Rosay and 2 others repped this.
  25. Slap the Floor

Slap the Floor New Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think Belgium is the only team possible of catching us. We are 2-0, 6 points and +3 goal differential. I think Belgium is the only team who could catch our goal differential, despite already being down 2 goals. Belgium has the talent to catch us if we lose to Ireland. Will it happen? Unlikely. Surely, we will be the winners of the group, but it's still possible I suppose.